PDA

View Full Version : Rear Height adjusters.....£45 each ouch!

a7avenger
27-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I had to cut the rose joints/bolts to remove them as they were so badly corroded.
Speaking to the parts dept at West London Ducati they quoted me £45 each, which is rediculous for what I'm sure is a pretty much bog-standard rose joint.
Anyway, some searching around and I found these people- http://www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/
And very helpful they were too, I went through all the dimensions, specs etc and they can do me some much better quality and higher spec chrome moly/Kevlar joints for £9 each....Result!

Dukedesmo
27-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Looking good, mine are a bit tatty so a useful link... :thumbsup:

big pete
27-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Good find mate, just goes to show dont always accept!!

Dukedesmo
27-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Although, having read the description it seems the 10mm threaded joint has a 10mm hole in the bearing and the 8mm threaded joint has an 8mm hole whereas the monster 'hoop' suspension ball joint has a 10mm thread but an 8mm hole in the ball, do they have others that are not listed?

a7avenger
27-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Although, having read the description it seems the 10mm threaded joint has a 10mm hole in the bearing and the 8mm threaded joint has an 8mm hole whereas the monster 'hoop' suspension ball joint has a 10mm thread but an 8mm hole in the ball, do they have others that are not listed?

You're right, however std Ducati joints are 10mm also, but have an 8-10mm adapter tube that slides out
and could be reused if not seized.

utopia
27-04-2011, 11:07 PM
As with bearings, I would have thought that rose joints are std items bought in by ducati from an independant manufacturer, and bearing an i.d. number which can be cross referenced to identical items from a number of manufacturers.
Most towns would have a local bearing supplier, on a small industrial estate somewhere, who could supply something with identical spec, usually for a significantly lower price.
At least, thats how it used to be.

BluprintZ
27-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Most towns would have a local bearing supplier, on a small industrial estate somewhere, who could supply something with identical spec, usually for a significantly lower price.
At least, thats how it used to be.

That's true Jeff, i remember in the 70's, i needed to replace the rear wheel bearings on my Suzuki T500, they were the same bearings that were fitted to the Hotpoint tumble dryers at the time, a third of the price of the ones from the Suzi dealers.

G ; )

Drake
28-04-2011, 07:13 AM
That's true Jeff, i remember in the 70's, i needed to replace the rear wheel bearings on my Suzuki T500, they were the same bearings that were fitted to the Hotpoint tumble dryers at the time, a third of the price of the ones from the Suzi dealers.

G ; )#i have been riding enduro for years and those bikes go through wheel bearings very quickly. My local bearing supplier supplies me with bearings usually SKF or FAG which are far superiour in quality to the main dealer parts and are well under half the price.
i never understand why some people prefer the ones from, say genuine KTM believing them to be superiour:eek:

a7avenger
28-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Also there are four types of M10 joints, 1.5mm or 1.25mm pitch R or L/H thread, the correct ones are 1.5mm right hand thread.
The Chrome moly joints are 3mm larger than the Ducati part on the body dia, so 1.5mm per side, this is not a problem as there's stacks of clearance below the joint when fitted in the saddle. The crucial 14mm width across the ball is the same as the Ducati part.
I'll post some pics when I get them, which should be today.

a7avenger
28-04-2011, 09:27 AM
OMG, they've just dropped through my door, I ordered them at 2:30 yesterday afternoon!
They are slightly chunkier on the bodies than std Ducati, but look great fitted.
I'm well pleased.

Ignore the bolt, for photo purposes only-

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3943/cimg1167b.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9353/cimg1173a.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8547/cimg1175.jpg

Dukedesmo
28-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Looking good, I may have to invest in a couple as mine look decidedly old and appear to have more play than I would like in them. :thumbsup:

sburrows87
28-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Not trying to be a smart arse but please make sure they are well greased when refitting! Some of the 'adjustable' parts on my monnie were not so adjustable when I had the bike because they had never been greased/ oiled when fitted

Of course, if you've already greased/ oiled them feel free to tell me to knob off :)

gary tompkins
28-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I had to cut the rose joints/bolts to remove them as they were so badly corroded.
Speaking to the parts dept at West London Ducati they quoted me £45 each, which is rediculous for what I'm sure is a pretty much bog-standard rose joint.
Anyway, some searching around and I found these people- http://www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/
And very helpful they were too, I went through all the dimensions, specs etc and they can do me some much better quality and higher spec chrome moly/Kevlar joints for £9 each....Result!

I used Mcgill motorsports for rose joints & turnbuckle links on the Buell gearchange conversion.

Really good prices, fast delivery and 5 star rating from me. They have a good ebay site as well.

a7avenger
28-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Not trying to be a smart arse but please make sure they are well greased when refitting! Some of the 'adjustable' parts on my monnie were not so adjustable when I had the bike because they had never been greased/ oiled when fitted

Of course, if you've already greased/ oiled them feel free to tell me to knob off :)

Will do...Grease them that is.:biggrin:

sburrows87
28-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Haha, you'll be glad in a year or two!

gary tompkins
28-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Mcgill also sell rubber protective boots for rose joints

http://www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=352

May help keep muck out of the ones on the suspension hoop

johnboy44
29-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Wheel bearings worked out at a third of the price when i purchased them from a local bearing factor, rather than the local bike shop