PDA

View Full Version : Monster S4Rs versus Monster Evo 1100 test

Rally
26-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Right, firstly I would like to say thanks to MCN for giving me the opportunity today to test the new Evo 1100 against my S4Rs. I will start by giving my unbiased opinion of the Evo 1100 as a stand alone bike;
Ducati Evo 1100
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/MonsterEvo1100.jpg
The bike is very comfortable and gives a feeling of sitting on it, rather than in it. The foot pegs feel lower than normal, but don't deck out when ridden in a spirited fashion. The wet clutch is very light and quiet in operation. The ABS was tested and worked well when provoked, without any unnerving sounds or feelings. I don't think the traction control came into action during the day. The dash panel has numerous features including lap times, ABS on or off, traction control settings etc. The main screen is the rev counter and can be seen well, the speedo not so well. (More later!)
Engine wise, it pulls best between 4000 - 7000 revs and the rev limiter comes in at just over 8000 revs with two red lights to warn you. Under 4000 revs the engine vibrates alot and doesn't like it unless it's in a low gear. At the national speed limit of 60 mph, you can only comfortably travel in 4th gear, as in 6th it is at 2500 revs and shakes like the perverbial. If you are into wheelies, or not wanting them, the latter people will be happier. They can be induced in first or second gear with a pull and snap of the throttle and are easy to control up to 50mph or so, but not done under pure power with ease.
The engine has a unique noise between 3000 - 4500 revs. It sounds like a tappet or knocking noise under acceleration, but soon goes when above those revs? (The clutch hides any noises on an RS!)
Overall I would say that if you hadn't experienced a more powerful bike, or wanted a more powerful bike, you would be very happy with it indeed; however, when compared to a S4Rs, it is lacking in power by a considerable margin.
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/MeontheEvoRHS.jpg
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/MeontheEvo1100.jpg

Comparing The Two
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/Bikesheadtohead.jpg

The S4Rs has alot more grunt from the outset, it pulls harder from any revs and takes off with ease leaving the Evo in it's wake. It will pull a gap of a 100 metres over a 1/2 mile run and that is whilst fighting to keep the front on the ground as well! The S4Rs is not as comfortable as the Evo and shakes it's head more. The suspension has more settings and quality in the Ohlins, but feels firmer and harsh unless softened off. This would be better on a track though. You feel more 'in' the S4Rs than the Evo. Ground clearance seems less on the RS as well, decking your feet with ease, which is odd. The Evo wins for comfort and newness, but the RS is the classic racer and seemingly always will be. If it's fun you want over short distances, find an RS, if you want more comfort and newness, the Evo is a great bike if you keep the revs up over 4000. The Evo is better at 30 mph as well.

My winner though is; :D
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/MyS4Rs.jpg

because on a PRIVATE ROAD, I like to play..............
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/UKMOC-Rally/WheelieonRS.jpg

May I end today's report by thanking the Cambridgeshire Constabulary for saving me having to carry my licence home with me. I did mention the Evo's speedo, it reads a two digit figure, when in fact you are into the three digit zone. Mmmm :banghead:

randall356
26-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the great review. Those images are awesome, take it they were professionally taken?

rac3r
26-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I want RS :cry:

Rally
26-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the great review. Those images are awesome, take it they were professionally taken?

Yes, they are superb. They were taken by MCN and may be in it next week or the next.

Tomorrows edition of MCN looks good with a great write up on the Diavel. Now put that engine in an Evo with Ohlins suspension and you have your first order! :idea:

bex
26-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Awesome pics. Last one made me laugh!

So did you get nicked?!

LouSCannon
26-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Great write up Alun, and fantastic pictures...!

Rally
26-04-2011, 09:27 PM
So did you get nicked?!

YES. :hissy:

The question is; Is that the first ticket for an Evo? :scratch:

vtaggart
26-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Great report and pictures, starting to like the evo now I wasn't sure about the frt pipes at the start but they are growing on me. Like the stacked tailpipes really tidies up the rear will look fab with a tailtidy.

Won't be changing the S2R1 would only miss the dry clutch.

Vince.

David Matthews
26-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Great write-up and fabulous photos. The RS in that colour is the best looking Monster of all, despite the radiator!

Rally
26-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Great write-up and fabulous photos. The RS in that colour is the best looking Monster of all, despite the radiator!

Thanks Dave, I agree. Funny that. ;)

desmo
26-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Nice pics & write up, I didn't like the Streetfighter in original trim, until I saw a blinged up one at the Italian Festival in Bristol, it looked fab with Termi's & other tasteful bling on it though & I think the same will be true of the Evo.

Sorry your day was tainted by plod, how much over the limit were you?

Mr.Number
26-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Great little review.

Youv gotta love the S4RS what a great bike. At the moment theres only a couple of bikes i would part ex the S2R for and the RS is one of them.

Posts like this just serve as a reminder of how Ducati hit the sweet spot with the design and spec of the original monster.

utopia
26-04-2011, 11:46 PM
I liked the evo when I saw a black one at the nec, but I have to say that, from the picture of your bike next to the red evo, your older style bike is just soooo much nicer.

S1VWL
27-04-2011, 08:36 AM
I might be biased, but I still think the S4R(s) is still the best looking monster made to date.

samieb
27-04-2011, 08:57 AM
A good write up Rally, great to see that non journalistic comments from Ducati riders can give an open opinion. Your S4RS is something different though, a full on SBK engine in a naked bike is WKD tbh. The SF to me is the same as an S4RS but the Monster is the better bike in that respect. With a 1098 engine in the SF it isn't sold on me, I think its too radicle and hence I prefer the M1100S. I think that Ducati had a better idea with the MTS as an 1198.

Anyway you pays your money and takes your choice, each to their own. :D :didge: :D

Rally
27-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments about the report. I tried my best to be constructive in both ways for both bikes.

The great news is that they are both fantastic and are Monsters. :thumbsup:

Fugly
27-04-2011, 02:53 PM
And in doing so you didn't tell us all what monsieur Plod is doing you for :worried:

If it's any concillation I got done by the German Police last week for being 6kmh over the limit on a restricted stretch of Autobahn in a RHD Nisan Almera FFS!

buzzbomb
27-04-2011, 03:41 PM
OK Alun you've tried the rest now try the best..:scratch:

Go and get your back side on a Streetfighter..

singletrack
27-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I tried a Monster 1100 Evo yesterday too - although I didn't get a speeding ticketor any fancy photos ;) .
I really enjoyed the ride. There was plenty of power and plenty of torque but the engine did not seem as smooth as my Hypermotard - possibly because the new EVO is single spark rather than twin spark?
They should both be similar BHP as the Hyper has racing cams, but the HYM is lighter and you can feel that when accelerating.

The engine of the Monster is a little lumpy up to 3500 revs but once you get past that it is fairly smooth.

I cannot believe the noise from the standard exhausts - how did such a loud noise get through EU tests?

The road holding was great and it was good being able to grip the tank which I can't do on the Hyper. It made it feel like I had more control in the corners.
And because my Hyper has been lowered the ground clearance on the Monster is much better - not that I ever get anywhere near scraping the pegs anyway!

The reach to the bars is much better than on an old style Monster - I always used to feel like I was stretched right over the tank on my S2R. The new Monster bars are a better distance away but seem very wide - something I am sure I can get used to.

So I am undecided whether to replace my Hypermotard with an EVO - I really did like the ride, but I am not sure I want to start the whole "pimp my Ducati" thing again. Is it worth it just to get back on a Monster?

As for a Streetfighter - I rode one last year. What a great bike! Possibly the comfiest I have ridden, but I will never need or use all that power and it is a bit big and heavy for me.

benson
27-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Really interesting write up - today I sat on a Diavel for the first time and I'd love to take it out for a spin...Interesting thT you're thinking of another change Singletrack...Let us know what you might dedciddee on!

singletrack
27-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Really interesting write up - today I sat on a Diavel for the first time and I'd love to take it out for a spin...Interesting thT you're thinking of another change Singletrack...Let us know what you might dedciddee on!

I have had the Hyper for 3 years Rachel - longest I have ever owned a bike by miles! I would like to keep the Hypermotard AND buy a Monster but would need to butter up my other half significantly to do so.

buzzbomb
27-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Anne I've also had my hyper for three years, first time in years that I've had to get an MOT but theres no way I'd want to sell it as just like you I find it so easy to ride...;);)

Send Andrew up north and I'll have a word with him for you because as your signature says... a woman can never have to many bikes...:D:D:D

The streetfighter is very comfortable but blimey its manic...:hail:

benson
27-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Oh Anne you can't sell the hyper! Had mine nearly 4 years including the infamous write off! They have to be one of the most amazing bikes ever but having spent the day on my old 900ie I'm still very very smitten......Enjoy whatever you do

benson
27-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Sorry - forgot to mention the m750 - still an amazing bike and oh so sweet for the commute and the mad half hour on the way home... Ducati for always.....

Rally
27-04-2011, 09:25 PM
And in doing so you didn't tell us all what monsieur Plod is doing you for :worried:

Phil,
Lets just say that they invited us to watch a movie (sorry video) of our antics at three figure speeds in the back of the car. After discovering who we were, what we were doing and our collective training, it was agreed that we weren't being dangerous in anyway, just a little fast. As the Evo speedo was only reading a two figure speed at the time as well, we settled for some points (Cause they make prizes! :D ) and a fixed penalty fine. I think we were treated very fairly in the circumstances. :look:

rollo22
27-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Single Track you definatly need no excuse to change the "H" to an "M"
I am pretty sure Fleabay sell buttering up knives

J.P
27-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Same conclusion I would have come to.

Fugly
28-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Phil,
we settled for some points (Cause they make prizes! :D ) and a fixed penalty fine. I think we were treated very fairly in the circumstances. :look:

Hi Rally,
That I would call a fair result then :)

alan c
28-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Well doe Alan, great write up and those pictures :spin:

bet it was hard not to smile when sitting in cop car telling them " i am testing for Mcn ", sounds like a fair cop though.

Rally
11-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Cheers Al,
It was funny when we asked if there was popcorn as well during the movie! It was fair of them and they treated us well really. The test write up should be in today's MCN by the way.

S4Rs-Tone
11-05-2011, 08:59 AM
A great write up , i too believe the s4rs to be an iconic monster .

J.P
11-05-2011, 09:17 AM
I will rush out and buy one.

J.P
11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Though I have to say, riding my SR4 to work this morning across South East London, isn't the best place to run this bike. Bumpy and chuggy as hell. Much better out on the open roads. :)

S4Rs-Tone
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Though I have to say, riding my SR4 to work this morning across South East London, isn't the best place to run this bike. Bumpy and chuggy as hell. Much better out on the open roads. :)

Do as i did escape the smoke ;)

J.P
11-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Unfortunately, 12 hour days in Finance from 6.30 am doesn't really work with that... :(
I dream of a house in the Kent countryside with a GARAGE !

J.P
11-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice write up Rally. Just bought my copy.

Rally
11-05-2011, 12:54 PM

That was my reason for saying that the Evo was more comfortable, the RS is stiff for the track, but if softened off a bit, it is better on the road.

I love Trevors slight understatement of
"The S4RS could and still can loft it's front wheel in third gear, as MCN found out when riding ................... Just don't take on an S4RS at the lights."

What that should of said was "Rally demonstrated to me how pull wheelies at *0mph in third!" :D

Apart from that, I thought it was a good an accurate write up though.

Rally
11-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice write up Rally. Just bought my copy.

Cheers JP. You'll see I also got the website address in the text! :thumbsup:

J.P
11-05-2011, 01:02 PM
perfecto.

And I see a nice Bridgestone advert with Rossi & A Monster too.

Rally
11-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Also try these links, now there's a real bit of dedication for you!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/RidingEvents/ridingeventsresults/Events/2011/May/may0911-ducati-monster-owners-club-track-day/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-Monster-1100-Evo-2011-current/

rollo22
11-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Now thats called getting the club out there the top link
Well done to that person(s)

uksurfer
12-05-2011, 05:40 AM
hope to get my copy today, good track day plug, well done

S4Rs MacK
21-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Cool write up Al. Brightened up my morning at work no end.
Enjoyed the wee ride from CC back to yours the other day too. Pity about the 110dB reading I got though. At least I'll still be okay for Mallory.
Previously I wouldnt have said mine was as loud as yours on the move !!! But I suppose when you're following another bike you tend to be in the slipstream and get their exhaust note to the face.....
See you next weekend mate, and looking forward to seeing the rest of the club too.

Leamreject
05-09-2014, 02:29 PM
I have both, and agree totally with this review the Evo is beautifully made and mine has a one off paint job which is stunning, probably the best looking Evo on the planet... , but when I want to go out scratcin with mates the S4R is wickedly fast with little wind resistance at speed because your in it rather than on it.

Don't like the ABS on it the brakes feel spongy and rubbish by comparison.....

Dirty
05-09-2014, 05:04 PM
Photobucket sucks!