PDA

View Full Version : Battery acid from battery overflow...

analogue_rogue
21-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Liek the title said.. i keep getting battery acid from the over flow pipe.. I first thought the battery was boiling but i just cant tell now...

I have checked charge rate. doesnt exceed 13.9 even when revved.

Battery sits at almost spot on 12v

the acid levels are bang on the line marked on the battery...

The battery is only 3 months old, it holds charge and doesnt bubble.

the charge circuit wires (three yellow) had a bad connection and had part melted a multi plug but i reterminated and they have been fine ever since.. I have recently rebuilt the engine and every earth is perfect.

Any ideas?

analogue_rogue
21-04-2011, 06:25 PM
racking my brain.. the only thing i can think is that the amps running through it are too high or maybe its not droopping its charge rate over long periods of time?

utopia
21-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Could be reg/rec failure.
It might be ok until it gets hot, which would explain your test results being ok.
See current thread by Edcase on gold frame colour for details.

It could also be that some hidden section of wiring was damaged when your multiconnector melted, but I would have expected your tests to have shown that up, so you might be ok there.
I wouldn't run it with that battery until you've got it sorted, for fear of wrecking a good battery.

Yorkie
21-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I had some acid spilt on my frame, but i had neglected to re-attach the overflow tube, my battery gets quite warm, but im sure the reason it overflows is the lean angle of the bike when parked up after a run out.

Yorkie

analogue_rogue
21-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Found one on ebay brand new for £30. I figure it will at least give me an indication of whther its knackered or not... and ill reduce acid levels to lower marks just in case and cable tie the overflow pipe on tight....

The wiring was all re loomed when i stripped the bike and rebuilt it .. thats how i foind the melted connector.. all the wires that were dodgy or remotly not good were replaced with new ones and allsoldered joints were re flowed....

(all in all this is a solid bike with this annoying problem....)

sburrows87
21-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Can you use MF (maintenance free - i.e. sealed) batteries on the carbie monsters like on the FI models?

analogue_rogue
21-04-2011, 08:27 PM
i can but i have to get a spacer to make it fit and extend and swap the pos and neg leads across the bike. and it wont do it any good if the reg is still screwed....

He11cat
21-04-2011, 11:21 PM
One of my bikes has done this .. Suspect reg rec
I'm now changing to the yellow motobat sealed ones as been fab on my monster!
The last battery that leaked on me did it whilst riding home from work the acid ate through my draggin camos!!!

analogue_rogue
22-04-2011, 06:08 AM
You git s number for that battery?

He11cat
22-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Il have a look for you mine didn't need any spAcers mines 99 model .

He11cat
22-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Il find out I've got a full tank at mo just nipped out to check !
Need another pair of hands to support my tank !

analogue_rogue
22-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Mines the 98 and its different to my sisters which is a 99

He11cat
22-04-2011, 09:31 PM
May be a difference in conectors then :(
has your bike got the two yellow main wires on the left hand side ?
I bet you reg recs going ..
Il still look for you but my bet is your reg recs on it's way out.

analogue_rogue
23-04-2011, 06:11 AM
It has the yellow wires but on the right. It's the same reg. But my sisters battery is smaller and the terminals are the other way round. Not too hard to fix.

Redkite
23-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Had this on my M1100 a couple of months back, reg\rec failed and fried the battery.
Was lucky because the bike was still under warranty, so battery en rec were replaced at no cost to me.

analogue_rogue
29-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Ok. Found the problem. Once hot the reg was going short circuit. Dead shorting the battery... instant discharge.... boily boily battery.... off to get new reg from ducati tomorrow.. £72. Bargain!

utopia
30-04-2011, 04:47 AM
I'd say instant overcharge, rather than discharge, hence boily boily.....
Has the battery survived ? Mine didn't, but I might have replaced it anyway, as otherwise I risked blowing the new reg/rec.....perhaps....???
Anyway, today I mostly wanted to say......I'm sure I've seen new monster reg/recs on ebay lately for under £40.
Imo, the multi connectors are vulnerable to rain where they are, and I extended the wiring and relocated them next to the coils and ign units, where they look like they'll stay dry. Alternatively, you could flood the blocks with silicone grease after you've connected them up.

analogue_rogue
30-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Nah it was instant discharge. Making the battery hot. If the reg went open circuit it would have over charged but this one was shooting when hot. I tried the ones off eBay and they don't fit properly. Wires are too short and the heat sink is much smaller. :-)