PDA

View Full Version : European Riding advice needed

Jungle24
21-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I am setting for France tomorrow and will be heading up through Belgium into Holland and back.

Do I need to display a GB badge as I seem to be getting conflicting reports on this? I also have a 5/7 small square plate and wondered if I will be a magnet for the local plod? I have bought a Euro GB badge and was thinking of attaching it to some card below the plate and sticking it to that!

Could I perhaps stick it on my helmet???

Also do bikers need a emergency triangle hi viz vest and spare bulbs like cars??

Anyone with any advice?

Cheers,

Jim

J.P
21-04-2011, 11:15 AM
if you've got a hi-viz vest in your luggage you'll be fine.

I've never had problems when riding with a UK plate and no GB sticker.

You should have spare bulbs with you, but I've nether bothered about that either.

Jan (Belgium)
21-04-2011, 11:19 AM
No idea about the badges,
As long as you don't attract the plod with dangerous driving they won't give you any special attention.

Triangle and spare bulbs ar not mandatory, not really shure on the hi viz vest (when I go on highways I have it with me otherwise not). Spare bulbs always come in handy. At the moment my normal headlight doesn't work so I'm riding with tha high beam for over a month now. Just tilted the headlight forward a bit and haven't had any comments at all.

Jungle24
21-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Cheers JP - I was hoping you would respond as know you take the multi into europe. I will pick up a vest and chuck it in for sure. As for sticker I think as I've bought one I will tape a bit of card and attach to bottom of the plate!

Apologies too as I saw you at Aylesbury but didn't get chance to intro myself - my mate wanted a non van burger so had to leave early!

Jungle24
21-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Cheers Jan - Handy advice from a local so appreciated! Do you know anything about this biker loft / barn place in Oudenburg as am staying there on Sunday night? Is it good fun?

Jan (Belgium)
21-04-2011, 11:45 AM
No, just heard of it a couple off years ago when it opened and was announced in local motorcycle magazines. it's only 100km from where I live and most of the roads are flat and straight in that area, so not the ideal location for a bike weekend (unless your traveling like you do)

Char
21-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Hope you have a great trip - photos please on your return

LVC
22-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi-res jacket, bulbs and triangle are NOT legal requirements in France for bikers (triangle and Jacket are only for cars, buses, etc.) - However carrying a Hi-res jacket is not a bad idea.

The law states that a bike registered in the UK has to conform to the UK regs. however a UK registered bike in France DOES NOT have to conform to French regs and the French plod cannot enforce them. So a small UK number plate in France is not a fineable issue nor are loud pipes, etc.

Headlights should have deflectors on them to avoid dazzling the locals - this is fineable but rarely enforced.

Headlight dipped beam should be on ALL the time night or day.

GB badges - rarely enforced - my S4 has a small one on the small plate and my Z hasn't got one.

Make sure you carry your V5 and insurance with you (MOT's are not compulsory on French bikes but not a bad idea to have your UK MOT with you as well). UK driving licence and passport are also a good idea.

Watch the 50KPH speed limit through villages (sometimes even 30KPH - not fun on a S4 that doesn't like slow riding). If you really push the limit the plod can impound your bike (same goes for drink and drugs) as well as fine you.

Get European breakdown cover for the trip including the "get me and the bike home please" option.

Other than that - Have fun and don't forget the sunglasses ;)

Capo
22-04-2011, 01:28 PM
EHIC card and Medical Insurance

Saint aka ML
22-04-2011, 03:17 PM
As capo said except I would say insurance depending which countries you go to. Research their medical rules. Swiss always, Italy as well as hospital will be free but transport to it ;)

Germany you should be ok all services are gov one's like in UK.

I would suggest to remember what side of the road you are on. On a empty road with perfect visibility you get in to a moment (well I do) and one time or twice I went wrong way around roundabout.