PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy another ducati help needed

Maudie
20-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I need some help ! I have a buyer for my 1999 m750 and as i have have just sold old my dragstar so i have a little extra cash to buy something slightly newer. the reason for this is i need something with a lighter clutch ( yes i do know im riding a ducati :mand: ) or that i can mod to reduce the clutch pull as i have major problems commuting to work on the 750 because of it !!

so i am looking for some advice on what to buy please anyone help my budget is up to £3000.00 tops

singletrack
20-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Many of the newer Monsters have wet clutches which are not to heavy.
If you have enough money I would go for an S2R (800) or a newer 696

Alternatively I think you could have a new slave cylinder fitted to make the clutch easier to use.

Have fun whatever you decide to do.

MrsC_772
20-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I have a 696 and honestly the clutch is not heavy - no worse than my previous bike (400 Bandit). The 696 doesn't have a traditional evil Ducati clutch. Many years ago I sat on an earlier Monster (possibly 600 or 620) and that did have the traditional evil Ducati clutch.

If your budget could stretch to a 696, go for it.

the_adam
20-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Would agree about the wet clutches, if anything they're lighter than the average bike, I've had a couple of comments about it in the past...although it does mean you can't have the nice open covers :(

A 695 could possibly work well for you if you can't stretch to the newer bikes, mine cost round about your budget a couple of years ago and shouldn't really be too different in terms of power

Nickj
20-04-2011, 09:26 PM
This is a good clutch fix (http://www.vococal.com/goods.php?id=1839) Maudie

Yorkie
20-04-2011, 09:31 PM
This is a good clutch fix Maudie

http://www.vococal.com/goods.php?id=1839

Being Northern and 'careful' with money, i have noticed that you would be paying for two when you only need one.

Do they do them in singles?

Yorkie

Dukedesmo
20-04-2011, 10:14 PM
My 916 clutch is as light as my Son's YBR125 due to a combination of larger slave cylinder and only 4 (slightly stronger than stock) springs, despite being 2 springs down it doesn't slip and it's putting out considerably more power and torque at the rear wheel than an air-cooled Monster.

I'm not suggesting a 916 as a commuter but if you include dry clutch Ducatis it opens up your options...

Maudie
29-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the advice the m750 went yesterday so trawling the classifieds to find something suitable !! would like an s2r but think it is gonna be outside my price range so been looking at 916 s4's ??

loving the clutch fix NickJ and Yorkie .....bought meself one but couldnt find where it attaches to my bike !! lol !

Char
29-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Selling my 750 for £1995 now

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=40201

benson
29-04-2011, 08:22 AM
My m750 has a wet clutch - and the m900ie has a slave and is no different really as the slave makes a big difference. Happy hunting!

Pomp1
29-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Clutch can be fixed easily.Isn't going to be cheap (depending on luck/mechanical abilities) and expect around 150 quid between braided hose, slave cylinder, springs and consumables. If you get a bike with a coffin type master you may want to swap that too.

Thirdway
29-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Oberon slave cylinder and adjustable lever helps to lose about 30% of the pull needed. On a dry clutch shed a couple of springs as well and you have a superlight unit.

Have to say that mysteriously I don't find Ducati clutches heavy ?? Once sat on a Tuono and gave up the idea of buying one after pulling in the clutch on that. maybe it's because you don't need to change gear so much on a Ducati? Maybe I have just got used to it? It's just strange that I don't notice it and would never describe it as heavy. The wet clutch on the 696 is hyper light.

NattyBoy
29-04-2011, 09:38 AM
That's a big question as you haven't mentioned what type. A monster s4 is a lotbof bike for the money (senna colours look great too), but an s2r is a better all rounder IMO. A 748 (especially a nice project bike :rolleyes: if you fancy a change in direction. I wouldn't get too hung up about the clutch as there a few ways of Improving that (brembo billet radial lever - boing bling !!). Tip: if you do go for a dry clutch, if you add an open cover and use stainless springs (as most do) then this will make the clutch heavier. Good luck..choose well!

Mr.Number
29-04-2011, 09:51 AM
S2R1000, clutch is no problem at all, especially when fully warmed up and running in the 80-100 temp range.

utopia
29-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Slightly surprising that you found the clutch on the M750 a big problem.
I have one too,albeit a year younger than yours, and though the (wet) clutch is a little heavier than most, I don't find it excessively heavy, even in standard trim. I never notice it, unless I'm in heavy traffic for long periods, changing gear frequently.
My point being that, if you found that clutch too heavy, you may find the same on other models, despite their owners describing the clutch as relatively light. (cos thats exactly how I'd describe the clutch you used to have).
Hope that helps ...????

He11cat
29-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I think its down to each owner.
I found my M600 (99) wet clutch agony in traffic.
I have always had problems with the span on levers as I have tiny hands.
I have felt some bikes clutches that have been described as ok and light and compared to my jap bikes the Duke clutches are very very much heavier!!

Change of clutch slave helps a lot !!!..
Im now trying to sort a radial clutch as developed problems with my hands ..lost a lot of strength.
I think when you burn your hands and don't feel that you have somethings up !!!

its about £80 for a slave I run an oberon and its good!