PDA

View Full Version : Help! Gold monster frame colour / touch up?

Edcase
17-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

Can someone please tell me what the gold colour is for an early M900 and if/where I can buy more? Have a couple of bits to touch in, plus want to strip and repaint this coming winter.

thx
ed

utopia
17-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Try RS Paints....01126 203608

Edcase
18-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok thanks. Is there not an off-the-shelf colour, even from Ducati?

gary tompkins
18-04-2011, 12:03 PM
The frame gold changed depending on year & model

I found Ford Campagne gold was a close match for the colour on my 1995 M600

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 7165_langId_-1_categoryId_165580

Edcase
18-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Typical, I thought that might end up being the case!

Anyone ever tried using one of those services where they 'measure' the colour can produce an almost exact match?

big pete
18-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Got mine of e-bay and its pretty close.

Edcase
18-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Got mine of e-bay and its pretty close.

Which one did you get?

utopia
19-04-2011, 04:55 AM
The chap who straightened my dinged wheel rim touched the area up with an aerosol can of paint from RS.
I don't know an identification number for it though.
But I can confirm that RS make a colour that is a decent match for the colour used on a Y2K M750.

Edcase
19-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Looks like RS is a great option.

And so another quick/important question:

This is more of a tidy up than a complete respray, will I be okay just to mask off the engine etc. and give it a light touch-up coat with the spray without stripping back and priming it? has anyone tried spraying directly over the existing paint??

I will be doing a full strip down job next winter, but would really love to give it a tidy up now for summer!

utopia
19-04-2011, 05:14 PM
My wheel was sprayed over existing paint.
The whole thing was straightened and painted in an afternoon.
No probs whatsoever, you can't really see the join and the new paint seems pretty durable, after 3yrs use.
I was planning to get some more to touch up a few acid splatters on my frame, from when I had battery boiling issues.
A clean/degrease with a suitable solvent prior to painting should be enough to ensure it bonds to the original paint.

Edcase
19-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Excellent, just what I wanted to hear!

Also the same reason for me, battery overspill. Mine also seems to be 'boiling', what causes this and how did you solve your issues?

thanks
ed

utopia
20-04-2011, 02:33 AM
Reg/rec failure.
Mine got worse until it started blowing the battery caps off, even though the vent was clear.
A new reg/rec cost me about £75, but there were some cheap ones on ebay recently for about £45.
Both made by electrex.
The multi connectors to the reg/rec are a weak point.
They are said to be only marginally up to the job.
They certainly seem to be located where they are very likely to get a good soaking in the rain.
Mine first started misbehaving after a long ride in a downpour.
When I fitted the new reg/rec I extended/re-routed the wiring so I could shift the connectors up under the tank, next to the coils.
They look much safer there, but I haven't been out in much rain since then.
An alternative would be to give the connectors a good dose of silicone grease to keep them dry.
I have no idea whether the electrex units are electrically any better than the ducati one, but the one I got had one extra cooling fin, compared to the original, so that must improve things somewhat.
The ducati one was painted though, wheras the electrex wasn't, and corroded in a day or two. I'd recommend painting it before/if you fit one.

Edcase
20-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Interesting, really good to know, will get this sorted as I don't fancy acid everywhere again!!

utopia
20-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, its not nice.
I parked mine up at Brands, watched a day's racing and came back to find the laquer on my alternator case had turned to goo.
That was first day out after buying the bike, which had been mint up to then.
It didn't help that the vent tube from the battery was missing.
I was confused for a while, as on the way down I had been waiting in a queue of traffic when the coach on my left had a massive backfire and engulfed the area in white smoke. I assumed for quite a while that the coach had spat corrosive exhaust fluids all over my bike from its sidewinder-style exhaust.

If you do decide to reposition the multi-connectors, I found that the yellow wires from the alternator are long enough to be re-routed up the left side of the bike, instead of the right, without the need to extend them. Also, the other wires (green and red) Can be tweeked a little to reposition that connector without the need to extend them either, though I did have to cut into the harness casing a tiny bit to allow them to reach, but it was easy enough to seal it all up securely again.
Basically, what I'm saying is that its only the wires from the reg/rec itself that need extending, which isn't too hard to do.
Actually, the reg/rec unit I got already had longer red and green wires for some reason, so I only had to extend the three yellow wires.
A photo would help explain, but I don't have a camera.
I'll be at the weekender, and the trackday, if you want to have a look.

Its probably worth mentioning that there are two types of alternator, each having a different type of reg/rec......early single phase alternators have two yellow wires, later three phase alternators have three yellow wires.

See Capo's post from late last year re charging systems.
Also Electrex produced a flow chart to help diagnose charging system faults, which I found quite useful...A google should find it.

Edcase
20-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Really useful, thanks. I hadn't realised it was a problem, I just thought maybe the battery had too much electrolyte or something!!! will get this looked at. thanks again for the advice.