PDA

View Full Version : Brighter headlight options for old M900?

Edcase
12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I have an early M900 Monster. She has very low mileage and in fantastic condition, and having recently decided to hold onto her indefinitely I'm starting to treat her to some TLC.

One of the things I like least about the bike is the very substandard headlight. is there a quick and easy solution to this such as a bulb change? The old glass is also looking quite yellowed, but unsure if this is an age issue or just how they are without having anything to compare with?

I want to keep the bike as standard as possible so not really keen on swapping out for entire new/different units.

Thanks,

Ed

Nickj
12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Just a new unit might make a difference, by new I mean the same just lacking years of grub fine dust or whatever on the inside and a lens front not eaten away by bug entrail juice and the general low key sand blast effect you eventually get. Then one of the 'brighter' coloured lights or for the ultimate annoyance a full HID conversion.

I remember a 500/4 I had at night it was really rubbish you could see sod all, changed it out for a cibie z beam. The difference was just amazing.

Nickj
12-04-2011, 09:17 PM
If it's a really old bulb just changing that could make a difference, the filaments when running have a little cloud of tungsten around them. Some drifts off and coats the inside of the bulb.. nice mirror finish rubbish lighting effect

Edcase
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah I changed the standard bulbs in my car for some higher power / bright white bulbs, and they genuinely made a massive difference, without looking like the stupid blue bulbs the boy racers put in.

Can anybody recommend a specific plug and play bulb along these lines for a 93 M900?

thx,
Ed

gary tompkins
13-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Phillips motovision

Recommended to me by the Bikesafe coppers - and they do work

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/2_2wheeler_lighting/products_for_2wheeler/1_motovision.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

Edcase
13-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Perfect, will Halfrauds sell them?

Do you know if I need H4 or H7 for my bike?

cheers
ed

Diego
13-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Bought an H4 extreme brilliance from Halfrauds myself. Ranges from 14.99 to 20.00 quid I believe. Did the trick nicely.

Edcase
13-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Superb, thanks. Will try the bulb / remove and clean lens option and see how I go!

Fugly
13-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Edcase,

I have exported my bike to Germany s ohad to buy a correctly dipping unit, to my surprise the new unit looks externally the same as the standard monster unit but in this case the reflector at the back is mirrored and not just a reflector and it'S a big dfference.

Fugly

jerry
15-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I have tried several Bright white bulb brands and Phillips EXtreme are the best overall

Edcase
16-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Gone with the Halfords xenon brilliance, but the biggest difference was made by opening up the lens unit and cleaning the milky effect that's built up on the inside of the glass over the years! Like a new light now!!!