PDA

View Full Version : Note to Self: Must eat more carrots.....

Gutsy
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Am running my bike with a light that makes a candle look like a aeroplane coming into land. So, hoping that by changing the bulb to a zenon one would help.... No, it doesn't.

What do I need to do/buy to get a decent light ahead of me? I have Poole Quay nights in mind but it would be just oh so nice to see where I'm going....

Cheers
Gutsy

utopia
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Damn....just fitted a Philips extreme power zenon in mine, but haven't had chance to test it out yet. From what you say, I shouldn't expect too much improvement then ?
The std light is a joke on a twisty road at night, and that's not counting the need to watch for potholes these days.
Looks like I'll end up with an HID conversion then...there have been a few posts about them lately...have a search.
I'll pop out tonight and test my philips extreme, and report back.

Saint aka ML
11-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Fork mounted spot lights ;) Like on BMW or or or buy night vision googles.

gary tompkins
11-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Alison,

I fitted a phillips motovision bulb to the trike about 4 years ago. Big improvement at night compared to stock halogen IMO. Need to get one for Buell now as that's got the same headlamp and crap 55/65 watt bulb as standard, and it's a liability after dark

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/Philips-Motovision-H7-Motorcycle-Bulb-New.html

rac3r
11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I fitted HID's to my ZX6 and it makes a massive difference. Just make sure you aim the headlight properly!!!

J.P
11-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I bought 4 of these babies for my Multistrada, H11 bulbs,

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H11-Osram-Night-Breaker-90-12v-55w-pair-NEW.html

The bright while light is fantastic , and as they reckon 90% brighter than standard. Maybe there's a variant that fits the Monster for you Gutsy ?

utopia
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I must say that, despite my earlier post, I was expecting a useful performance increase from the Philips Extreme Power bulb.
I fitted a Philips Vision Plus bulb (claimed 50% brighter) to my Dominator a couple of years ago, and it did give a useful improvement.
The Extreme Power bulb claims an 80% improvement, so should be even better.
I have steered clear of HID conversions because I fancy they might be too bright, possibly causing hazard to other drivers, particularly on those occaisions when a gloved thumb, or simply forgetfulness or late dipping, gives them a blast of full beam.
In addition to this I was concerned that the super-bright HID lamp would cause a lot of dazzle from reflection from road signs, of which there seem to be a significant increase these days, often on the approach to bends and other hazards.
I'll go out for a test, when it gets dark, and report back.

chris yeatman
11-04-2011, 07:22 PM
get ur headlight aim checked it mite be to low.
any mot station can check and ajust it.

analogue_rogue
11-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Is there sm hid kit for the m600.?

singletrack
11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Am running my bike with a light that makes a candle look like a aeroplane coming into land. So, hoping that by changing the bulb to a zenon one would help.... No, it doesn't.

What do I need to do/buy to get a decent light ahead of me? I have Poole Quay nights in mind but it would be just oh so nice to see where I'm going....

Cheers
Gutsy

I have no idea about the headlights Alison, the ones on my Hyper are even worse than the Monster, but i you are going to Poole Quay give me a shout. I have still never been!

Anne