PDA

View Full Version : Damper tube cap head

a7avenger
09-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I have replaced the seals on my 2001 showa forked M600, the seals were dead easy to replace but I'm having a problem getting the cap head bolt back into the damper tube.
I have assembled all the internals and extended the damper to it's full extent and slid the whole lot into the tube and slider, the damper end cap falls off easily as it's a really loose fit on the damper tube (Grrrr), the damper tube keeps backing away from the bolt when I try to engage it in the thread................:scratch:

What am I doing wrong, is there an easy way to do this that I am missing????

Cheers.

a7avenger
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Ha ha, same as last week. Done it, drop the end cap down the slider making sure it lands the right way up, slide the spring on top, lower the fully extended damper assembly down through the spring keeping the whole thing vertical. Screw in the top cap and compress the forks the last 25mm or so while turning the bolt, again with the fork vertical and Bobs yer aunty.
I felt a bit loathed to do it this way because it's difficult to know wheather or not the end cap has slipped over the damper tube properly, I guess it must have!?