PDA

View Full Version : rear brake......

analogue_rogue
09-04-2011, 05:28 AM
I have fitted a new braided hose. Bled the brake and got enough pedal for bike to pass Mot. But the brake bite is really low. I have bled and bled and I'm getting no air out. I have adjusted master cylinder push rod to its longest and the pedal is still engaging the brakes low down I just can't get rid of this free play!!!!!!

Stafford
09-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Is the caliper underslung or on top?
If underslung did you unbolt the caliper and bleed with the nipple in it's highest position to get the air out?
If on top is there any hose that can hold an air bubble, again remove and bleed with hose in a position to allow air out.
Don't forget to hold the pads apart with a piece of wood or flat steel if bleeding without the disc in place.

analogue_rogue
09-04-2011, 06:40 AM
No didn't bleed with caliper raised as it is underslung. Good point! Will give that a go.....

Stafford
09-04-2011, 06:47 AM
No didn't bleed with caliper raised as it is underslung. Good point! Will give that a go.....

Jolly god, take care when refitting the caliper bolts the alloy hanger is made of cheese, so select correct torque.

analogue_rogue
09-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Good point. I never had this much trouble last time....

chris yeatman
09-04-2011, 07:27 AM
also try back bleeding it with a oil can starting from the caliper.

big pete
09-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Also watch over extending the push rod , take it back to minimum and extend it in really small increments when youre adjusting it. It does make a difference.

analogue_rogue
09-04-2011, 09:11 AM
so..after hours of getting stressed and having over hauled the rear caliper.. i discovered.. the pistons are pushing out but sucking back in... so.... i pull the master cylinder apart.. whilst everything looks ok.. it seems a bit "higgledy piggledy" in there.. the seals were all stuck together and the o rign seems to be wandering around up and down in the cylinder..

ok... so... wuick trip to ducati perhaps for some seals.. if they do them...

anyone rebuilt one of these? the haynes manual is next to useless...

update.......

Having arsed about with this poxy stupid ridiculous setup of a rear brake for another hour... and having had the master cylinder apart and back together three more times....

SUCCESS!!!!

although i didnt do anything different so i have no idea why it suddenly worked.. must have just been a stuck air bubble....

gary tompkins
09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
if the master cylinder is a bit dodgy (they often fail) it's worth getting a new one

Don't think Ducati are that keen on selling brake rebuild kits, and new m/cyl is about £35

cairojay
09-04-2011, 01:08 PM
What? My bike's got a rear brake???

analogue_rogue
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I rang them. They said brembo don't supply rebuild kits.... Dammit.

Nickj
09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
so..after hours of getting stressed and having over hauled the rear caliper.. i discovered.. the pistons are pushing out but sucking back in...

I'd have thought that would be really helpful, not in stopping but moving again, as long as they only do it when you let off on the pedal it's OK. When the brakes set up the pistons don't move that much, the seals stop the oil escaping and also act as teeny return springs

analogue_rogue
10-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Yes. But they were doing this without pumping up. Effectively doing nothing......

He11cat
10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
My mastercylinder was changed after a back brake fiasco!
All better now:)
oh it's cheaper to buy a gold one then a black one ..???
My bike now sports a blingin gold mc .