PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever tried to bump start a Monster?

desmo
06-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Well have you?
I had a flat battery when I tried to leave work last week on my S2R800, I was stuck.
I asked a work mate for a push in a vain attempt to bump start it, (big V twin, no chance)
Luckily, someone else had some jump leads, so I boost started it off his car, but it got me thinking, what if I get stuck in the middle of nowhere or on grass at a race meeting or something?

Obviously, carrying ordinary jump leads is out of the question, due to lack of space, anyway, after a bit of a search I found some dedicated motorcycle jump leads & they look to be just the job.

I relocated the original tool roll behind one of the side panels & the jump leads fit in the tool tray under the saddle along with a few small extra's.

They are rated at 30 amps & appear to be of reasonable quality, the instructions recommend that once connected to both vehicles, you allow a minute or so before attempting to start the vehicle with the flat battery. (which makes sense)

I havn't had to use them yet, so I can't say for sure how good they will be, but I suspect they will work ok & perhaps one day they will come in very handy.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/IMG00013-20110406-1556.jpg

Kerry
06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes. Same happened to me the other week but no joy. Someone did have some jump leads that did the job. Where did you get your leads from and how much. Have got new battery since.

desmo
06-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Where did you get your leads from and how much.

E-Bay £10.00

Scotty
06-04-2011, 08:36 PM
bump started many times no bother

however I cant quite get my head round if you can actually bump start through a slipper clutch or the aptc thing the 800 has ?

Stafford
06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Did the S4 a couple of times, but the ST4S defeated me.

utopia
06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I used to have a 750 Laverda, and bumping that was damn near impossible on the flat.
Ok on a bit of a hill though.

At a tenner, delivered, those leads look pretty good. Decent insulation on the clamps too.

banditloon
06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
After having a similar problem with mine many years ago, even though we were trying to tow the Monster behind a fork lift to get it going, nothing happened!

Luckily due to the space underneath the office, I have enough room to plug the old beast into the optimate.

If all else fails, I also have a set of jump leads under the seat for those emergencies! :thumbsup:

Paivi
06-04-2011, 09:23 PM
however I cant quite get my head round if you can actually bump start through a slipper clutch or the aptc thing the 800 has?
No is the answer.

samieb
07-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Is it the same as trying to bump start a Desmosedici GP11? :D

skank
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Could jump start my 750, only once though as I pushed it running besides it then jumped on and let the clutch out at the same time, bike lurched as clutch bit, it started but i crushed my bollox. Never did that again! 900, could never get it bump started.

pegboy
07-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Yep did it almost every day for about two weeks, on my 600 when the reg/rec went and it was killing the battery, I remember one day filling up at a small station and it would not start so i pushed it to the front left and the idea was to bump start across the forecourt pass the station shop as it was down hill slightly and in the flow of traffic, so all geared up ready start pushing up to a decent speed and as i go to jump on my leg gets caught under the foot peg, so i am stumblling across trying to hold the bike up with my leg stuck on my knees, i managed to hold it up but I am now on my knees in this forecourt with the bike resting on me and I could not move, then some guy came up and helped me, i am so glad I had a helmet on!!!

Dookbob
07-04-2011, 08:12 AM
At least you were in the right position to say a little prayer.

mintyhit
07-04-2011, 08:22 AM
The only time I ever dropped my bike was running along side trying to bump start it.

Thankfully I managed to throw myself under the falling bike in a desperate bid to prevent damage… it worked, the bike was undamaged… I however had a bruise the size of a melon on my hip.

Never again. :)

w108rna
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I have bump started my 900 many many times with no problems. The only issue happened once when i lept on too far forward and landed on the tank on my gentleman's area. Very painful.

That said, i have never been able to start my ST2 on a bump start, just won't happen.

Saint aka ML
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Yep 944 monster with high comp pistons. Got quite good at it. I will admit you need a small hill or forget it on my one.

When I got a digital ignition fitted that was a new challenge as battery went flat so was not enough to run the ignition. No worries ramp down to carpark got me up to 40mph and that was enough to keep the wheel rolling on 6th gear which gave just enough juice and off we went.