PDA

View Full Version : 900 Monster Fuel Starvation

siandsar
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Hey All,

Went out for a ride on the Duc yesterday and whilst holding a steady throttle at 85 she cut out! I pulled the clutch and the motor was still running but when I went back on the throttle there was nothing there. After about 10 seconds I let the clutch out again and it revved and rode as normal. I then continued steadily but after a further 10 miles all was well so I increased speed but after accelerating hard upto 5th it happened again. Descretion being the better part of getting home I waited for it to "come back" and rode home.....slowly!
No kinks in the pipes or leaks and the tank vent is clear. Any ideas??

Cheers
Si

crust
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
fuel filter

Stafford
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Is it the cost of fuel? You need to put more in!

dunlop0_1
05-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Louise had the same problem with her M750 and it turned out to be the vacuum tap under the tank that was faulty. You can bypass it temporarily and then replace or remove either will work.

Rally
05-04-2011, 05:16 AM
It may be a pipe sucking air in through a split as well. Check them thoroughly.

Pomp1
05-04-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm with Crust on the fuel filter.

siandsar
05-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the input. The fuel filter is a new genuine Ducati 8mm bore and the fuel pipes have been replaced. (and yes it does have enough fuel in it Stafford) :)
You say there is a vacuum tap under the tank? Is that on a carb model and if so where abouts is it??
It feels like its running out of fuel but it's still running on tickover. Maybe a vacuum issue would cause the same symptoms?? Or maybe it's just the God damn Japanese carbs!! :)

dunlop0_1
05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the input. The fuel filter is a new genuine Ducati 8mm bore and the fuel pipes have been replaced. (and yes it does have enough fuel in it Stafford) :)
You say there is a vacuum tap under the tank? Is that on a carb model and if so where abouts is it??
It feels like its running out of fuel but it's still running on tickover. Maybe a vacuum issue would cause the same symptoms?? Or maybe it's just the God damn Japanese carbs!! :)

Number 4 in the picture. Check the vac pipe for leaks etc and I said you can bypass it just as a process of elimination.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/untitled-7.jpg

siandsar
05-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Many thanks Dunlop... Ill check that next and keep you posted

utopia
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Duff fuel pump, possibly ??

Quantox
05-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe the tank breather is partially blocked, causing low flow because a vacuum has developed within the tank. Perhaps some mice nesting in it over winter?

Cheers

Q

siandsar
06-04-2011, 07:28 AM
HeHe....I'll look out for the mice! The breather at the fuel cap is free and when you switch off the engine and open the filler cap there's no hiis of air to point towards a vacuum in the tank.
It's got me a little befuzzled but I'll try the vacuum tap and the pump and see where that takes me.......:)