PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Mount

Char
04-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi

I have a Tom Tom Rider Pro and hate the mount it came with.

Dont use very often so was thinking of buying a handle bar bag , but then I guess you cant see the clocks and these are really designed for car sat navs.

Has anyone mounted one of these ZTechnik Mounts? Or know of a nice mount that you can put on the limited handle bar room that you dont mind leaving on!

http://www.customcruisers.com/custom2005/customshop2005/contents/en-uk/d1625.html

alan c
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Char, i have a tom tom rider two and my second mount has just broke, they seem to rattle to bits and i am not going to pay £50 for another one. i have looked at the bar mounted bags, they look ok but i need to be sure the sat nav will fit ok.

Has anybody got one, if so what are they like ?????

AndyC_772
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I've got one, but I don't like it much. There are two problems:

- there's a lot of glare off the plastic window, which makes it very hard to see the screen in sunlight
- the plastic tends to wrinkle, which presses on the screen of the nav unit and touches it randomly. This means it can go in and out of the menus and change settings while you're riding.

I ended up cutting up a CD case and inserting a piece of clear, rigid plastic to help solve the wrinkle problem, but that makes seeing the screen even harder. In the end I gave up and bought a Garmin Zumo 660 instead.

The 660 came with a RAM mount which was perfectly OK on my Fazer. Fingers crossed that it works as well on my new bike...:woot:

He11cat
04-04-2011, 11:54 PM
I have a givvi one that Velcro on to the bars.
Glare on the plastic window not great.
I prefer my mount tbh

Shuffy
05-04-2011, 12:35 AM
If you don't like the standard Ram mount, maybe this is worth looking at

http://www.techmounts.com/installation/?page_function=gallery&installation_gallery_id=8

I've got an earlier version of this and I think it's very good as it puts everything right in front of you and is very adjustable and not too intrusive. The UK stockist is Motohaus

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/HandlebarMounts.html

scrapps
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a bar mount bag and used it all weekend with no problems (yes a bit of glare from plastic but nothing else)
your welcome to look at it when I am next about or if not Albie has the same one.

Char
05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Sawm Albies up the hill top, think i'm going to go for one of the universal bar mounts

Thanks all

Dookbob
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Surely you guys dont ride around looking at your sat nav screens. Might be safer with an ear device and just follow the instructions, you can put the sat nav in your pocket then. Or am I missing something here.

scrapps
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
My sat nav sits just next to or below my clocks (depends on what bike) so is easy to see.
Takes no longer to glance at than a speedo so i see no issue with reading one ?

J.P
05-04-2011, 05:23 PM
If you had a RAM mount, you could then get one of these, http://www.telferizer.co.uk
I've always used them on my bikes and easy to replace one bolt on the bars for the RAM mount

alan c
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
The actual mount with the connecting pins has broken on my tom tom, its the second one i have had and they cost £50 to replace. Think i will have to buy another as it powers the sat nav.

AndyC_772
05-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Surely you guys dont ride around looking at your sat nav screens. Might be safer with an ear device and just follow the instructions, you can put the sat nav in your pocket then. Or am I missing something here.

Well, no - but it's handy to be able to look at it for clarification as you approach junctions, especially if they're complex ones and the spoken instructions just say something like "keep left".

Capo
05-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Nope some of us know where we are going :biggrin:

gary tompkins
06-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Bluetooth Headset FTW - it was a godsend on trip to Italy

Can even hear mine through earplugs if I turn the sound up to max

Char
06-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Shuffy's suggestion is best as I can mount on my fat bars at the thin end too - which is always a good thing :gromit:

Shuffy
06-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I win! I win! Do I get a prize???

Actually don't answer that...

Char
06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Oh - was going to buy you a drink or an ice cream - neve mind :grump:

Shuffy
06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I take it back! I take it back! Ice cream please...

utopia
06-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So, how water resistant are these bike-specific sat navs then ?
Or don't we know, cos none of us ride in the rain anymore anyway ?

My preferred method in unfamiliar territory is a tank bag with a map in the top pocket (for use at traffic lights, stops etc), and the good old piece of card with cryptic junction details etc, blu-tacked onto the handlebar clamp. Its surprising just how much detail you can write in very simple terms, once you get the hang of it, and it kinda pleases me to be able to compete with modern technology with just a bit of cardboard.
Trouble is, these days I can't see the map details without getting my reading glasses out ( I've usually left them at home anyway), and I'm having to write larger on the card, so can't squeeze so much detail in.
Increasingly, on sunny days, I end up resorting to navigating via the sun if I get lost...!!!!

gary tompkins
07-04-2011, 12:18 AM
TomTom is very waterproof thankyou

Wish I could say the came for my boots and gloves :rolleyes:

Dookbob
07-04-2011, 08:30 AM
So, how water resistant are these bike-specific sat navs then ?
Or don't we know, cos none of us ride in the rain anymore anyway ?

My preferred method in unfamiliar territory is a tank bag with a map in the top pocket (for use at traffic lights, stops etc), and the good old piece of card with cryptic junction details etc, blu-tacked onto the handlebar clamp. Its surprising just how much detail you can write in very simple terms, once you get the hang of it, and it kinda pleases me to be able to compete with modern technology with just a bit of cardboard.
Trouble is, these days I can't see the map details without getting my reading glasses out ( I've usually left them at home anyway), and I'm having to write larger on the card, so can't squeeze so much detail in.
Increasingly, on sunny days, I end up resorting to navigating via the sun if I get lost...!!!!
This cracks me up, I have the same problem with the reading glasses too, and having spent ten years at sea in my younger days, I never got out of the habit of navigating by the sun, gets a bit tricky around noon when its overhead though. I have even been known to pull over and check my compass , but I only do that at rural cross roads when i dont know where any of the places are on the signpost. One of these days If I ever forget where I live, I will just ride off into the sunset, Peter Fonda style.

Lochy
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I have TomTom Rider Urban and after riding 8h in rain/storm last year-it is 100% waterproof :)

btw: I'm happy with supplied RAM mount - over 5.000miles and no problem at all.

He11cat
07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
You know the cardo headset thingmy that comes with the Tom Tom Rider (2) I can't seem to get it to fit on any of my lids!!!
I don't want to talk to anyone but its connnected to the earpiece .. is there a knack to the ruddy thing ??
apart from trashing your lining to clip it on.

I don't mind my Ram mount bit ugly but confuses the hell out of people ! "whats that?"