PDA

View Full Version : Shelter problem

Qba
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm in the middle of changing my place. My current rent has been increased by 7.5% which is outrageous and I can't afford it any more. Problem is that my current place came with a garage, that's when I bought a bike. Now I'm trying to find some place with a garage, but struggling to do so as not many flats come with a garage. Was wondering how many of you keep your bikes on the street and if you experience any aggro because of that. I know it depends a lot on the area you live. The place of my interest is Bromley, Beckenham and surroundings. I'm reluctant to keep my bike on the street, but can see it might be a necessity.

Funkatronic
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
after having bikes knocked/hit while parked 3 times in recent months id say dont do it

Saint aka ML
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I am currently in Beckenham. Insurance say it is low crime are, so does people around here. Houses seem full of posh people yet just last week a car got stolen, two houses broken in to, cash stolen from a car and car warming up on drive got nicked.

Insurance wise for now you will be fine but try getting a house with garden so you can park the bike at the back. Then ground anchor or one of those small garages if you can.

I do not know how long will I stay here as it is quite expensive TBH, especially with current economy and **** job I have to put up with.

utopia
01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't know the area in question, but I would say that regular parking on the street would be dodgy almost anywhere these days. People quickly get to know that its there and that makes it very vulnerable to theft. I'd try to get somewhere with a back garden or yard, where the bike can be stashed out of sight.

Funkatronic
01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
if you want to live in sw2 (tulse hil/brixton hill/streatham hill) i have a garage there you could rent :-)

pegboy
01-04-2011, 01:55 PM
I have my old 600 on the street for two years, Mirrors were taken then the bike was stolen afterwards, luckily after 1 week the police found it.

Would do everything possible not to leave it on the street if possible,

Qba
01-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Cheers guys.

Lukasz, Beckenham is definitely cheaper if compared to Battersea (even with commuting to Central London).
Thanks Ali, I will consider that but only if I wouldn't have to walk 2 miles to pick up the bike mate :)

I'm even thinking about moving further to Kent i.e. Gravesend.
It would be definitely easier to find a right place, but commuting… hmm, that would be a killer.

the_adam
01-04-2011, 02:26 PM
My bike has always had to live outside, I'm in the Rusholme/Moss Side area of Manchester so not great insurance-wise. It's slightly off the street but does get quite a bit of (normally positive) attention from people. I got a Torc anchor and persuaded the landlord to fit it to the house wall - said they could keep it when I moved out and it wasn't a problem. Now it's not going anywhere :thumbsup: As long as you find somewhere with a little bit of land outside the door you should be able to do the same sort of thing. I'd think before just leaving it on the road regularly though, you do hear about bikes being lifted into vans in the night

analogue_rogue
01-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I've never owned a garage and always had my bike either on the pavement outside my house or on the drive. never ont he road.. never ever... but that said i have never had it messed with or tampered with.. that i know off......

Diego
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Wazzup Kuba!!! Dude let me tell ya....best to get a place with garage. Even if it means moving a bit further out.

London is just a nightmare when it comes to keeping a fine looking Monster as yours on the street.
Nonetheless don't despair...there are places out there with secure parking/garage in London. Make your wishes clear to estate agents.

As an indicator try using primelocation.com with ''secure parking'' as keywords despite most of the adds being out of date you can still contact the agents..........

Char
01-04-2011, 03:21 PM
On drive with noisy disc lock and CCTV but that wont stop the most determined thief

Diego
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I did keep a 600 Dark monster in Highbury Islington for three years on the streets (covered and chained to railing). No issues apart from people nicking my cover thrice! :banghead: Main burden was the humidity & rain getting to the electrics despite being covered!!!

Nonetheless also had a 620ie stolen in Brixton too. Lifted into van in broad daylight on 31st of December a couple of years ago.

Since then always used either secure parking or garage plus on top of that always use almax chains attached to something solid at all times when parked at home.

Call me paranoid but thats living in the capital for you.

Qba
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm convinced then… still searching, and wont give up the idea of having a garage.
Still have 2 more months to move out, so hopefully something will show up eventually.
Thanks for your replies.

He11cat
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I know Bromley and beckenham and west wickham and all round that area ..would I leAve my bike on the street even in the posher part of Bromley?
No way!!! Don't risk it!

Stay well away from Thorton Heath area which is a dive!
Oh and addington .. West wickham was always ok.
But try and find somewhere you can tuck the bike out of sight!

analogue_rogue
02-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Isn't west wickham near Cambridge?

steeevvvooo
02-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Mine is parked off street in Bromley in a private car park at the back of my flat. Chained to a big tree with 2 Almax chains and covered up!

Although it's generally a nice area, as said I wouldn't risk the street parking. Thieves travel, and a few miles in a van is nothing if someone wants your bike.

If you can get parking out of sight, as in around the back of the flat maybe, a ground anchor to something solid with an almax chain would be a compromise. But, if you can wait, look for something with a garage.

Alternatively... move to Bromley and maybe we can hire a garage together!! :ukm:

He11cat
02-04-2011, 09:14 AM
No it's down the road from Bromley Kent I lived next place up in Selsdon.
Bromley was my old stomping ground many a day was spent meeting up at starburger!
Bromley is a nice area and I'd live that way again :)
wish I had not moved away , you can't do too wrong with that area really.
Just no Addington! Or no monster!

banditloon
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks Ali, I will consider that but only if I wouldn't have to walk 2 miles to pick up the bike mate :)

Try a 14 mile drive to get your bike. It does my head in not having a garage to leave my bike in! At least I have a 2500 sq ft 'workshop' with full alarm system and CCTV to keep an eye on my bike / car.

I don't like leaving the bike in the car park of the flats where I live. I don't trust the little f**kers round here!

Qba
02-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Sorry for late reply guys. Went for a ride to Beachy Head via Box Hill today.
Good day, except the fact I almost dropped my missis on a bumpy road heading to Beachy Head :tweak:

Diego thanks for a tip with the web side. There's hope. It seems to have much more offers than any other I was using so far. Steve, don't know where you're based exactly, but I'll let you know about the garage if I move to Bromley. Thanks for the offer :thumbsup: