PDA

View Full Version : Evotech nightmare!!

andanotherthing
30-03-2011, 10:44 PM
So the inevitable happened....

Am I doing something wrong as just found it a nightmare to fit to my monster 796. First couldnt separate the metal and plastic parts of the original as the seat lock cable was so tight it was impossible to pull two parts apart - ended up removing the pin latching mechanism, so hopefully the seat won't fall of due to incorrect refitting!!
There didn't seem to be a logical way of routing all the wiring and cables once refitted but it's all jammed in there and working just hope there's no rubbing going on inside ;-)
But worst thing is the exhaust valve motor wouldn't seat properly as the new under tray tapered too much. I ended up having to file an unused part of the cable retaining block on the bottom so it would sit properly; and again I hope the cables don't inhibit each other now it's all jammed in!!

So enjoyed all the spannering...but can't help but thing I've done something wrong....and hope it doesnt fault in the future!!!

PS what does the exhaust valve do, and how would I know if it no longer works??

chris.p
31-03-2011, 05:32 AM
So the inevitable happened....

Am I doing something wrong as just found it a nightmare to fit to my monster 796. First couldnt separate the metal and plastic parts of the original as the seat lock cable was so tight it was impossible to pull two parts apart - ended up removing the pin latching mechanism, so hopefully the seat won't fall of due to incorrect refitting!!
There didn't seem to be a logical way of routing all the wiring and cables once refitted but it's all jammed in there and working just hope there's no rubbing going on inside ;-)
But worst thing is the exhaust valve motor wouldn't seat properly as the new under tray tapered too much. I ended up having to file an unused part of the cable retaining block on the bottom so it would sit properly; and again I hope the cables don't inhibit each other now it's all jammed in!!

So enjoyed all the spannering...but can't help but thing I've done something wrong....and hope it doesnt fault in the future!!!

Fitted the Evotech tail tidy to Cathy's 696 without any problems what so ever, strange that you are having problems, I would give evotech a ring if I was you.

Chris.

Rally
31-03-2011, 06:34 AM

On most (if not all) bikes, the exhaust valve works to open and shut to change the back pressure in the exhaust system to give it more power / grunt. They are also sometimes used to quieten the bike down at the all important right moment to get them through the noise regulations. As to the real purpose on the 796, i'm not sure though. It will be one or both of the above. :thumbsup:

Exhaust valves on 2 strokes are different all together mind! Boysten reed valves etc. :spin:

utopia
31-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Exhaust valves on 2 strokes are different all together mind! Boysten reed valves etc. :spin:

They would be INTAKE valves though, n'est ce pas ?

gary tompkins
31-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes.. unless you are talking about powervalve (exhaust) as used on the Yamaha 350 YPVS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-stroke_power_valve_system

slob
31-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Yes, the power valve is a gate which effectivey raises the exhaust port at higher revs to make more power without losing what little midrange there might be. Reed valves are still going to be found on the intake though.

Nickj
31-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Unless of course you're talking about EXUP's that sit somewhere in the middle of the exhaust system

chris yeatman
01-04-2011, 12:22 AM
rjbex has a tail tidy on her 796, she mite be able to help u.

utopia
01-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Ah, yes. 2-stroke exhaust valves a la YPVS.
I was having a break from bikes when the kids were young, at about that time, so I always forget about them.

gray-p-m
01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
On my 796 I found out it was not working as when I went to start up I had an 'engine management' (amber light) stay on.

andanotherthing
01-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Did u fit it yourself and was it easy to fix?

PS sorry evotech for starting this thread as I posted it after hours of tinkering to fit it (which I did enjoy!!), and now after a re-read it sounds too negative as it's good quality. But read how it was easy to fit and on my bike it only did after I cut a bit of the valve motor! Just wondered if anyone else had same problem??

johny1100
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
It was a bit fiddly but got mine working fine in the end. A fault light will come on the dash if your exhasut valve isn't working. Surprised you had to file anything though as they must all be the same size, makes me think you've done something different (i.e wrong) :confused:
There's a useful step by step video on a site I found, think it was the USA Monster Owners Club, if I can find the link I'll post it. If it's all working now though with no warning lights it must be okay.:)