PDA

View Full Version : Fingers crossed....

Cutter
30-03-2011, 04:46 PM
...it looks like I may be able to pick up my custom painted tank from Boyz Toyz on my birthday Friday week. I am practically widdling myself with excitement :chuckle:

All the poop here:

http://chickenshackducatiproject.blogspot.com/

http://chickenshackducatiproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/manifold-blessings.html

Got some scary wiring to do for new dash. scary because it's minute and I'm the sort of bloke who will end up mummified in electrical tape with my leg stuck in a huge pile of solder in a corner of the shed.:thumbsup:

craigie
30-03-2011, 09:45 PM
The tank design looks good, in fact the whole bike looks like it will be grand. Any idea when it will be finished?

Diego
30-03-2011, 11:04 PM
sweet tank design. great work!

Cutter
31-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Cheers guys! I am hoping another couple of months should do it. I have various brackets to fabricate or source, exhaust hangers, adapt rear-sets to accept reservoir as well as hyrdaulic brake lights switch , get seat customised, sort indies, no plate hanger, wire in Motogadget dash, etc etc. Then there is always the possibility the sprag clutch is in the wrong way round...(don't ask). somethings I am going to do after build completion like having the front forks set up to match Ohlins rear, due to lack of budget.

Doing the dash is worrying me due to tiny wires and lack of soldering and tidyness gene. I enquired about pro doing it but out of my budget.

I have done this first project very slowly and have other commitments like family stuff and being in a band, but it would be nice to have it on the road for mid-summer!

utopia
31-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Soldering shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Clean scrupulously, use resin flux (even with flux cored solder), stay clear of modern, lead free solder (use only good old tin/lead stuff), tin both wires separately before joining them, and cover in shrink tube.
Practice on some scrap wire first...you'll be fine.

Cutter
31-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I hope so. The wires from the new clock are hair thin.. :on:

utopia
31-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I've just done a similar install of an Aviacompositi revcounter, and those wires were really thin too.
Didn't have any problems.
Just make sure you dont snap any of the conductors when you strip the insulation....there's only 6 or 7 in there anyway.
Probably worth cleaning off the flux residue too, lest it should cause any corrosion of the minimal conductors...I used contact cleaner...worked a treat.
The shrink tube is doubly handy, as it reinforces the bit where the stiffer, soldered bit joins the original wires.....use plenty.

Damn nice paint scheme, by the way.
And a very interesting write-up.

Cutter
31-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Appreciate the advice and the kind words mate! Spent a lot of time agonising about paint job, just hopes it comes out alright.
Re the wiring, I plan to utilise the Ducati round connector plug that lives in the standard dash, connecting the wires that go to the appropriate standard warning lights lamps to the four thin leads for warning lamps in the Motogadget Tiny (Indies, Main Beam, Neutral and Oil Pressure). I will then source LEDS to mount on an ally plate that will support the M'gadget for the remaining necessary lights - (sidestand,charge,fuel). I will mount/wrap the soldered sections on a rigid non-conductive plate to protect against mechanical stress.
This will give me a standard connector to plug into it's mate on the loom rather than crimping to the tiny spades in the block connector kit that Motogadget supply (blocks with loose spades). Then I need wires for the mode switch, 12v and 12v switched, and speed sensor. I have wired a few guitars up and I am never very tidy so I may still end up getting help...

Lowsider
01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Cutter... Where did ya get the exhaust collars as I am looking to tart up my manifolds and they look sweet!

Cutter
01-04-2011, 11:55 AM
They were on ebay from a german company called Ricambi-Weiss. Some up now for £25 + £10 p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CA2-Muffle-exhaust-Ducati-900-900SS-900-SL-Mons-/310226073666?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item483aea3842

Lowsider
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
They were on ebay from a german company called Ricambi-Weiss. Some up now for £25 + £10 p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CA2-Muffle-exhaust-Ducati-900-900SS-900-SL-Mons-/310226073666?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item483aea3842

Cheers Mate.... I'll get some on order... Need to paint my manifold as well so It could be a purchase then winter project for this winter.