PDA

View Full Version : S4R DP ECU advice please

Gilps
28-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Whilst having a tidy up this weekend I came across the DP ECU that came with my Termi cans. The cans were originally fitted to a S4R but I put them on my S2R as they are the same part. When you buy them new they come with a DP ECU to sort the fuellling out, but I didn't use it as it's no good on my bike. The ECU has been previously fitted to the donor bike.

My question is this. If the ECU has been fitted previously to a bike does that mean it has been coded to that bike like a regular ECU, and is now worthless, or can it be sold again in good faith and used on another bike?

I have always assumed it was the former which is why I shoved it to the back of a cupboard. However, I'm sure that I read recently that the DP ECU doesn't get coded and can be re-used. Can anyone shed any light on it.

Funkatronic
28-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Gilps

If the DP ECU was coded with the red key to the other bike, it will be unusable on any other bike
its just an eprom so it can be reflashed with a different map but this will cost
you might still be able to sell it for £10-20 to someone who wants a different map flashed on there (it will physically fit any bike that uses the same size ECU eg m1000ie, 695, s2r)

if the Red key was not used then you can sell it on as a DP ecu and it will still work on any bike

if your not sure, the only way to know if its been coded is fit it to another S4R and see if it starts

hope this helps

ali