PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest you've ridden on your Monster in one day?

SunEye
27-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I rode back from Edinburgh yesterday. That was 480 miles and it took me ten and a half hours, although I did stop 4 times for petrol and for 3 of them I stopped for at least 30 minutes to warm up (10 hours from the outskirts of Edinburgh where I did my first fuel stop).

Today I'm feeling the effects slightly, my back, my shoulders and my legs feel a bit stiff (bear in mind that I'm 42 and take no exercise other than a 1 mile cycle to work every day). If the weather had been warmer and it hadn't rained (Scottish Border and Berkshire/Hampshire) it would have been a lot nicer and I could have done it a bit quicker.

bigfiretruck
27-03-2011, 09:37 AM
235 miles to Leeds, took about 6hrs due to it being freezing up there and having to stop a few times... sounds like you've enjoyed yourself if everything hurts

Yorkie
27-03-2011, 09:39 AM
About 620 miles, Germany to Calais, Dover to Yorkshire. In sleet and snow. It wasnt pleasant.

Yorkie

Nonnie
27-03-2011, 09:45 AM
12 miles (return) to a cake shop!

steeevvvooo
27-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Bought the bike in Warrington and rode back to Kent, so about 220 miles. 4-5 hours ish including fuel stops.

I could do that reasonably easily now (and wouldn't mind using motorways too much) but at the time it was very, very hard. A new, unfamiliar, large capacity naked bike, after coming from a short spell on a sports tourer... fair to say my neck was aching the next day! :biggrin:

Stafford
27-03-2011, 10:24 AM
About 400 miles from Edinburgh to Bath, it was after that I knew I needed the comfort/touring seat.

slob
27-03-2011, 11:30 AM
432 miles, London to Antwerp, 4 hour stop for 'lunch' and back again.

Grumpy
27-03-2011, 12:38 PM
From the Italian alps to Haverhill, Suffolk coming back from WDW 2002, 567miles.
The longest journey i've done was from Prague to Haverhill, 878 miles, I left Prague at 10am and walked in my door at 2am that morning, my Guzzi Centauro was the bike of choice on that occasion

Thirdway
27-03-2011, 04:08 PM
675 miles from Andermatt to calais with a few detours and then from Calais another 30 miles to a travelodge. Started at 7am got to hotel around 1 am next day. I didn't count the distance the ferry travelled.

200 + miles of Autoroute were completed at 120+ on the clock in order to make the ferry with several stops for fuel.

Amazed at a Monster.

gary tompkins
27-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Around 600 miles on my 600 in 2003 - First UKMOC weekend. Rode up from Kent for the day with Paul Critcher - did national rideout from the mill and rode home. My arse was killing me when I got indoors.

Chris & Nean
27-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Shell Island north Wales.

Chris & Nean
27-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Shell Island is 120 miles away but we did do a trip out to Portmadoc to get provisions, so I supose about 150 miles.

banditloon
27-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Cool, mine seems only like a local run at 300 miles when I picked the Monster up from Cornwall on the 23rd December 2006! God I was cold!

Planing my usual seven year run to Lands End which is aprox 320 miles from here. I need to update the sign post picture from my Bandit! ;)

Mohawk
27-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I toured Scotland last year and did Inverness, Gairloch, Applecross, Kyle of Lochalsh then over the Cairngorms and finished in Ballater. About 320 miles but took about 9 hours. What a great day that was, those roads are amazing!

Albie
27-03-2011, 07:29 PM
You have to laugh at this one. I confessed this in Belgium so it common knowledge. I drove from Bath to Rochester in Kent around 170 miles. Then I rode 174 miles to the Ducati dinner at Donnington to be told "sorry mate it's next week ":look::scratch: so I rode the 174 miles back. Hmm !!!! Oh and I also cut short our break away to do it too. LOL

Ho Hum:D

So thats 358 miles in 4hrs
528 in 6 hrs approx oh and o dinner too, just some redbull on the way home

jerry
27-03-2011, 08:05 PM
720 miles Chiang Mai to Pattaya in 11 hours I was knackered tho ..

johnsy
27-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Bilbao to Cartagena, 400+ miles, got in 5 minutes before my Son was dropped off, still had a big grin 2 days later from the roar of a V twin

Grumpy
28-03-2011, 07:49 PM
From the Italian alps to Haverhill, Suffolk coming back from WDW 2002, 567miles.
The longest journey i've done was from Prague to Haverhill, 878 miles, I left Prague at 10am and walked in my door at 2am that morning, my Guzzi Centauro was the bike of choice on that occasion

I've been thinking about some of the journeys i've uhdertaken on my bikes over the years and thought I should share them

First trip abroad by bike, 21 yrs old , to Grimaud on the South of France, 2 days down, 1 back on a Yamaha Xj550. The bike had a range of approx 70 miles at 90ish mph, I left Grimaud at approx 10am and was back home by 9am the following day. The trip back consisted of riding over the mountain range along the back of the Cote d Azur, picking up the motorway to Lyon, on up to Paris, around the periphique, on to the N1(at this point I fed up with motorways) on to Bolonge, ferry to Dover, then on to Saffron Walden, milage was approx 880 miles.

Rally
28-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Now, if were talking distance NOT on a Monster, I left home on a Saturday morning early about 4 years ago, rode to Lands End, met some Army blokes about to do a sponsored event and joined them. We turned to John O'Groats and arrived at 2am Sunday. Had a short kip, left at 7.30am and rode home to Wiltshire.
It was a total of 1950 miles in two days on a Honda Africa Twin. It averaged 60+ MPG and never missed a beat. It was an impulsive weekend after a bad week and one I have never regretted. :D

SunEye
29-03-2011, 08:41 AM
My longest non Monster days have all been done on a Kawasaki ZRX1200R.

560 - Chichester to Aviemore and then Aviemore to Chichester a few days later. November can get a bit chilly. Had to delay my return by a few hours to let the temperature get above freezing. Also the amount of daylight is a bit less than you really need. I ended up riding the last 100 miles each way in the dark and on the way to Aviemore it was raining for that bit of the journey.

580 - Issoire in France to Worthing (Dunkerque - Dover ferry). We cut our trip to France a few days short because my friend's CBR600 was starting to have wheel bearing and head bearing issues. So we decided to slowly limp back home, but after an hour we got bored and blasted more than half the length of France.

640 - Bilbao to near Marbella. The original plan was to take two days to do this after the hell on earth that was the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry in October. However once we had about 200 miles to go and it was getting dark we decided to push on to the end. I lost my friends somewhere near Malaga airport because they were riding far faster than I was prepared to do at night on roads I didn't know. A few phone calls and we managed to meet up and eventually get to our destination.

670 - Albertville in France to Chichester (Calais - Dover ferry). Again another unplanned long day. The original plan was two days to get us back from the Alps. After a morning that had only managed to take us about 150 miles towards Calais the decision was made, after a very large pizza, to push for home. The remaining part of France was dispatched at an average speed of over 70mph including fuel stops (+ coffee), of which there were 4. The other two riders (ZZR1100 and Sprint ST) were on bikes that were slightly more comfortable with +100mph cruising than my ZRX.

I'm looking forward to some similar trips on my Monster. I hope to go to Aviemore at the end of April and ride through France and Spain to near Marbella in two days (1200 miles) in July.

Lochy
29-03-2011, 10:49 AM
730 - Czech republic - London, start 6am - 9pm home :) last August on S4RS - motorways only

950 - Cannes - London, start 2pm - 10am home, summer 2008 on Aprilia Shiver just 2 months after my driver licence test :D :D...lost in Paris 3am.....mixed A-roads&motorways........never again!!!!