PDA

View Full Version : make a cush drive puller ?

jerry
25-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I need to service cush drives on rear wheels on several ducatis so i need to make a puller , i recko a 12mm studding and appropriate size heavy washers and a large socket and nuts should do it ....any comments would be appreciated .

crust
25-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I made one out of something similar and a bit of steel I turned up on the lathe at work.

The problem is its not easy to get a big enough washer behind to pull on the outer ring so you end up pulling the center out leaving the outer ring and some rubber remnants.

After a few I've refined the technique, I use the puller to tension the rubber then heat the hub and they tend to pop out.

jerry
25-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Crust....How do you heat the hub without damaging the paint??????

popelli
26-03-2011, 08:02 AM
expanding rawl bolts can be utilised for pullers in blind holes

jerry
26-03-2011, 09:09 AM
expanding rawl bolts can be utilised for pullers in blind holes

Yes good point I use them on the swing arm bearings

crust
26-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Crust....How do you heat the hub without damaging the paint??????

They are not in there that hard, so I give them a dose of penetrating fluid, tighten the puller, have a coffee, add a little more tension and a lot of them pop anyway.

If not, then its only warming them, I just keep the blow torch moving.

Starter Sprag
26-03-2011, 05:17 PM
If you are careful, take your time, and use 'coolant', then using a hole-saw, you can remove all the rubber, just leaves outer sleeve to remove

Pedro
26-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I made one out of something similar and a bit of steel I turned up on the lathe at work.

The problem is its not easy to get a big enough washer behind to pull on the outer ring so you end up pulling the center out leaving the outer ring and some rubber remnants.

After a few I've refined the technique, I use the puller to tension the rubber then heat the hub and they tend to pop out.

That's a bloody good tool you made Si, slightly embarrassed to say I still have it!!! Must be nearly two years since I changed cush drives, sorry mate!!

banditloon
21-06-2011, 04:52 PM
After reading the tips and watching a video on removing these pesky buggers, I wasn't looking forward to this job! Thank gawd for a large rubber mallet, a breaker bar, a large bolt with a head diameter larger than the centre hole and a blow torch! The above turned this in to a 30 minute job! My above tool list is not advisable if you are not getting your wheels powder coated!! ;)