PDA

View Full Version : Which Tyres

littlejimmy12
21-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Did a little search and I can't really find a thread with this subject.

I am up for both front and back, my knowledge is zilch on this suject so I was wondering what others thought

I do not have mega bucks (anymore :-( bloody recession and all that so my budget is arounf the £160 mark

I ride in town and I do like to take the occasional corner fairly 'dynamically' so I'm looking for a durable tyre front and back that will stick to the road.

my sizes

R: 180/55
F: 120/70

I would consider part worn as I am hoping for less leaner times in the summer when I can lavish upon my bike once again!!

Mr Cake
21-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Can't go far wrong with a pair of Pirelli Diablo Corsa, or Strada.

C

Mr.Number
21-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Bridgestone all day long.

Will pay a bit more tho, but worth it and the mileage return you get will be more than most if not all. Iv got the 023 on my S2R and it will be a good choice for yours. Its a sport touring tyre, with good grip and as said it will outlast most, especially for the riding you have suggested.

rac3r
21-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Not sure on sizes but on another forum LOADS have recommended Dunlop Roadsmarts. Even those who said no ended up trying them and loving them, especially in the wet

1100steve
21-03-2011, 09:36 PM
I stuck a pair of Roadsmarts on my Buell after going through 3 Pirelli Diablo's (rears) in just over 6000 miles, purely for the higher mileage claims. I was very impressed and managed to be chicken strip free for the first time in my (short) biking career very soon after running them in :biggrin:

As for the wear rate - I think I they only done 500 miles when i traded the Buell for the Monster but they still looked like new. I really don't like the Bridgestone 016's on the Monster and shall be putting some Dunlop's on as soon as the rear is shot.

Gordon H
21-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I put Bridgestone BT023's on mine (m900) at the end of last summer. Rode through most of the winter with no problems.

Wouldn't hesitate to put the same on again.

Qba
21-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Taking into account your budget Maxxis Supermaxx Touring would be ok with fitting included if you will be lucky.
Some people here seem to be happy with them.

dunlop0_1
22-03-2011, 05:13 AM
These are road going Dunlop H rated qualifers on the DD bike. New for this year and so far I have Done a wet TD and dry racing and they give far superior grip when compared to the Pirelli Diablo and Rosso used in the previous 2 years. Gonna fit them to the 748 as well.
Maxxis, no thanks.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/dunlop0_1/MAT_7309-1.jpg

Char
22-03-2011, 05:25 AM
[

Michelin Power Pure - nice but expensive - especially when you get a puncture after 400 miles -

Paul_
22-03-2011, 07:05 AM
The bridgestone BT016 stock fitment to the bike are fine tyres but are nothing special, my rear has squared off even though I love corners! Getting some Dunlop sportsmart's once I'm down to the wear indicators, they have been getting amazing write ups and are bike magazines first 5 star tyre review, gotta be good! :-B

Lowsider
22-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Put BT-023 Bridgestones on mine and they are the dogs Danglies!!

Had them recommended by my tyre guy as he said he runs them on him bike and he canes tyres and they stood up to him far longer than any have before. Good feedback and responce too....

uksurfer
22-03-2011, 07:30 AM
[

Michelin Power Pure - nice but expensive - especially when you get a puncture after 400 miles -

hope they last a little longer than that

Taking into account your budget Maxxis Supermaxx Touring would be ok with fitting included if you will be lucky.
Some people here seem to be happy with them.

just put one on the back of mine, and it seems fine so far, but i'm not a hard rider, and i do have chicken strips, really wide ones

try phoning your local 'Yamaha' dealer as mine do free fitting onto the bike £170

Zimbo
22-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Dunlop does seem to have a slight edge over the other manufacturers just at the moment, those would be my choice.

kev s4r
22-03-2011, 09:21 PM
mine came fitted from new with pilot powers and had no probs at all, getting about 4500 miles from the rear, fronts ok as it spends most of the time in the air. :biggrin:

Mark B
22-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Extra 30 quid get you these Bridgestone BT-021 (http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/901812/Tyres/Tyre-Offers/Bridgestone/BT-021-Pairs) great tyres ...

Blah blah
23-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Michelin Power Pure

What he said !!

Dunlop does seem to have a slight edge over the other manufacturers just at the moment, those would be my choice.

Mine on Dunlop sportmax's got a bit weave-y and sensitive to white lines as they wore so I swopped them (with 3-4mm of tread left on the back and more on the front)

littlejimmy12
23-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Don't know if I've been a fool but I picked up a pair of Pirellis Super Corsa's on ebay for £80, they'd done a few laps but there is loads and loads of tread left :-)

rac3r
23-03-2011, 08:08 PM
As long as there's no blue on them they should be good to go! :thumbsup:

johny1100
11-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Another tyre question. The BTA016's on my M1100 have been great, just used up my second set at 6000 miles so although lovely and sticky, 3000 miles per set is quite expensive! I'm off to Spain in July so need something a bit more hard wearing to stop them squaring off. Any useful suggestions?
Wife's got Avon Storms on her Kawasaki which seem okay but the tread is so deep they must be great in the rain but in the dry looks like only half as much rubber touching th ground!

utopia
11-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I fitted Michelin PR2s to mine, mainly for the double compound, which I hoped would mean that they retained their profile for longer.
3500miles later, the rear is still very nicely rounded and still has loads of tread depth left. It looks to me like it'll be good for at least 5000, maybe more.
Mind you, I do tend to pick the twisty B-road route, and avoid motorways if at all possible.
Then again, I don't push very hard in the corners..the rear still has, er.... "caution" strips.
Personally, I think that dual compound tyres are so obviously a great development that I'd never buy anything else.
I rather like the look of the new michelins with their water dispersal tread pattern. They seem to have had some great reviews. Think I'll go for them eventually, but will probably stick with the PR2s through one more rear, before changing.

johny1100
11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Cheers Utopia, I'll have a look at PR2's and the new Michelins.

J.P
11-04-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll second what Utopia said, I've used Michelin's for a few years now and the Pilot Power 2CT rubber is very good for fast road/track tyre. Thus, the Pilot Road 2CT will be just as good for twisty roads but with that extra comfort of knowing it'll last longer.

The reviews of the Pilot Road 3 have been brilliant for wet weather grip and I'll definitely be fitting a set on my Multistrada when I change the originals, which give NO confidence in the wet round corners.

a7avenger
11-04-2011, 07:54 PM
I've heard nothing but good reports about Avon Storm II Ultra's, so I bought a set off ebay, £149 + £7 post, which I did'nt think was too bad.

J.P
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM
And some additional comment on the Pilot Road 3 in MCN, fitted to their Multistrada 1200.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/staff-test-motorcycles/staff-bike-blog-ducati-multistrada/apr1111-ducati-multistrada-continues-to-impress/

johny1100
12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
And some additional comment on the Pilot Road 3 in MCN, fitted to their Multistrada 1200.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/staff-test-motorcycles/staff-bike-blog-ducati-multistrada/apr1111-ducati-multistrada-continues-to-impress/

Cheers JP, they look like the ones!

J.P
12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Yep , certainly going to fit them to my Multi.

jimz750
18-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Ive just fitted some Bridgestone BT023 and they feel for better than the Pirelli's I had on before. Whether it's because they were old in age and tech I don't know!

Mark B
18-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I've just put on Michelin pilot road 3's ... Very nice and having now scrubbed them in hold loads of grip in all conditions and in hard pushed corners .... £265 fitted ... Well recommended ;)

cairojay
18-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Dunlop Qualifier II

jerry
23-04-2011, 05:28 PM
i have been loyal to Pirelli but having tried some new Dunlop roadsmarts and sportsmarts i now reccomend both

grayVTWIN
25-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Have RoadSmarts on mine and they are tremendous, particularly in the wet. Have used Brigestones 021 before and they are good but not as impressive in the wet.

I also have a post classic Yamaha 750 FZR that I run on AvonsAM22/23 (it has an 18'' rear) in post classic racing. I have two sets of wheels one with a super soft non road use compound and the other with road legal sprint compounds .. they are just fantastic .. don't know if you can get them in a suitable 17'' rear but the sprint compound is quite cheap off the internet. They warm up quickly and grip, grip, grip in both forms, wet and dry. Not sure what the wear would be like for normal road use but I have a couple of friends who reckon the sprint compound easily lasts them all season (that would be about 20 days club level racing at least). Would have to say too that once my superstickies are finished I will stick with the cheaper ones as I can't find the limit of them either.

Mike

Paul_
25-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Have run out of tread on my BT-016 rear after 4400 miles and the front was looking very triangular so I went and put on some Dunlop Sportsmarts after reading lots of positive reviews.
What can i report back so far having covered about 200 mile's on them along some of my favourite roads once they were scrubbed in - Believe all of the reviews that rave about these tyres!
Turn in is very similar to the BT-016's which supprised me as the tyres are more 'rounded' in profile than the bridgestones and straight line braking stability and cornering once leant over are above that offered by the BT-016 in the dry. You can even adjust your line, something the bridge's would do but it always felt it was an afterthought with them even though they were emensly stable. I never had any problem with the Bridgestones and don't tend to ride the bike in the wet unless I get caught out in a rain shower. Where they score is their profile is slightly different, they are more rounded towards their edges whereas the Bridgestones tended to roll onto the edge of the tyre at more extreme lean angles - I don't think I'm going to get near to the edge of the rear with the sportsmart as the pegs will scrape before this happens due to the profile falling away more towards the edge of the tyre, having ridden the same roads with the sportsmarts as the bridgestones I still have about 1/2 inch of chickenstrips on the rear and 1/4 inch on the front. Another area the new tyres score better than the old is where you may have to trail brake into a corner because you have gotten your entry speed a little wrong and need to scrub some off. The Bridgestones used to want to sit up doing this which was quite disconcerting the first time it happened, the sportsmarts do not have the same trait or this cpouldme that I have learnt to moderate my speed a little better...
An independant DEKRA test showed the sportsmarts to last much longer than any popular hypersport tyre, you can read it by following this link;

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/18/19075.html

Overall I am very very impressed with these new tyres but please remember any new tyre may feel better than ones that are worn out and at the end of their life.
To sum it up, they are not much different in character to the BT-016 but they are substantially better in every area, in making the bike go where you want it they are almost telepathic! As long as they wear better than the bridgestones I'm looking forward to putting many more miles on them.

steeevvvooo
25-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I find that any new tyres generally feel great, maybe because all my old ones have been pretty square/low on tread! :running:

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the monster and they're great. Have probably done 3-4k on them so far and they are still in good condition, showing little sign of wear.

I have Pirelli Diablo Strada on the Diversion as they were about £50 cheaper (£150-160ish on ebay and delivered to a local garage for fitting). They're great for what I use them, and I would recommend as a budget option, but much prefer the Michelin.

I'm definitely considering the Road 3 when the Road 2 eventually wear out...

johny1100
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I went for Bridgestone BTO23's in the end and am very happy with them. They feel as good in the dry as the BTO16's did and they must be better in the wet(not rained since I got them)! as the tread pattern is much bigger and deeper. Got a great deal at Protyre for £210 per pair fitted. :thumbsup: