PDA

View Full Version : Dropped it.....again!!

BluprintZ
20-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Had a spin out yesterday, seeing as the weather was decent.
Went onto Anglesey to visit a mate, then on the way home the gearchange linkage came adrift, so i stopped off at another mates so i could fix it, he wasn't in but his shed was open, so i borrowed a few tools and fixed the problem within five minutes.

So i fired the bike back up and started to reverse it from his drive, into the paved area by the side of the house, just where the drive starts to slope down.
Yep, stuck my foot out and found nothing but air, then the bike toppled over and i couldn't hold it, due to the slope on the drive.
Quite a bit of damage done, similar to this time last year when i dropped it doing a U turn.
I only suffered a slightly bruised elbow and hip, even though i had armour and padding in the jacket and jeans (Weise).

The Thruxton is a heavy bike, i've always thought so, compared to the M900 i had before it.
So, i think it's time for the Triumph to find a new owner, i'm not sure what i'll replace it with...if at all.
There aren't many bikes out there that float my boat really, maybe i should have kept the Monnie, considering that i only use the bike on decent days, the Peugeot keeps me warm and dry otherwise.

G ; )

Yorkie
20-03-2011, 10:44 PM
G,

Hope you are okay mate, Trumpets are okay butyou should have kept the light Monnie.

Yorkie

gary tompkins
20-03-2011, 11:08 PM
There's sure to be a few nice monsters up for sale soon George

Watch this space ;)

He11cat
20-03-2011, 11:19 PM
I hope your ok .... Big hugs :)
The main thing is your not hurt.

Its only a matter of time before I do it as I have had two close calls last week but flapped my legs about and found a bolthole... Going to have mine looked at next week ... as its knocking me everytime I get to the camber at end of my road its like a gamble ...
This is another reason why I don't paddle bikes .. I am so paranoid I get off and push as its so easy to catch your leg or foot or find nothing.

take a break and sleep on it for a week...
Trumpets are heavy bikes I would love one but I can't lift one!

Have a chill and a think ... :) we all do it ..
I dropped my Kwack slipped on some tiles round the back of my house had to rip them up.
the bike fell and pinned me on the floor against a wall .. I had to hold it off me for as long as I could and beep the horn til someone found me!!!! didn't have a moby on me!

utopia
21-03-2011, 03:53 AM
quote.......if at all......quote.

Steady on now, George......!!!!

buzzbomb
21-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh George what are we going to do with you...:dizzy:

In 2004 I bought a BMW 1100s which at the time really rang my bell but it was so heavy that when I lost my balance in a car park it fell over onto its left side pot which luckily I'd installed a slider on, I realised that I had to get a lighter bike and thats when I purchased my first monster. Age, health, strength in ones body all have to be taken into account so come on George get your self another monster and start to enjoy your riding again...:biggrin:

You know it makes sense...:thumbsup:

bex
21-03-2011, 07:17 AM
Thats a shame, glad you are ok George! For what its worth I think you should keep it, the Thruxton's a beauty, we all drop the buggers sometimes :)

Last time I dropped mine I was so cold and wet I thought the side stand was down and it wasn't. I was also so cold and wet that I couldn't even bend my fingers nevermind pick it up lol...

big pete
21-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Glad your not to badly hurt mate, thats the main thing. Thats part of the reason I got rid of the Daytona and bought a Monster , feels a bit like a trials bike in comparison.

JerryT
21-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear that G.

Glad you're OK. I never used to, but I'm glad I wear armoured leathers now. Never know when you might need it.

Someone will want to buy the Triumph I'm sure, now that Spring is in the air... :flag:

Take care.

BluprintZ
21-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Cheers guys.

It's a heavy beggar to pick up as well.
The bike had gone over with the underside of the bike facing up the drive, so there wasn't a cat in hells chance of me getting it upright from that position on my own.
So, i had to lift the bars off the ground and drag it a couple of inches at a time, using the timing cover and the silencer as the pivot points, eeeek!
Once the tyres were facing down the drive, i had five minutes to get my breath back, then gave it my all to get it back on it's feet...tyres...whatever. lol.

Damage was cosmetic really, bent front and rear brake lever, headlight rim scuffed, as were the timing cover and silencer, mainly additions to the damage from last years off.
The Triumph is a nice bike to ride and it looks the bollocks...or it did before i started hurting it but i've got to be realistic, it's just too heavy for me and next time we both might get damaged, so i'm gonna get her looking as good as i can and then move her on, then we'll take it from there..innit?

Cheers again.

G ; ) :dizzy:

He11cat
21-03-2011, 10:19 AM
:(
just do whats best for you at the end of the day..
But we all do it .
Don't beat yourself up over it..
Trust me I have done more stupid things :)

J_Dub
21-03-2011, 12:46 PM
At least you are OK George, shame you are having problems with the Thruxton, its a nice looking bike.

BluprintZ
21-03-2011, 02:14 PM
At least you are OK George, shame you are having problems with the Thruxton, its a nice looking bike.

Cheers John, it WAS a nice looking bike, if i carry on like this, it'll start looking like a garden shed.
How are you mate?, have you got another bike yet?
I'm coming up to Rossendale mid April for the annual ROL get-together, so i'll pop in for a brew while i'm up there, probably be going to Rivvy barn on the Sunday as well.

Take care bud.

G ; ) :thumbsup:.

bigredduke
21-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Glad you are ok George, it's a sickening feeling when you put your leg out and find nothing but fresh air and you get past the point of no return. What does the bike weigh btw?

Mr Cake
21-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Flippin eck George! Sorry to hear you dropped it mate.

If theres owt we can do just let us know!

Dave

uksurfer
21-03-2011, 05:34 PM
sorry to hear that G, hope your not too bruised mate

BluprintZ
21-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Glad you are ok George, it's a sickening feeling when you put your leg out and find nothing but fresh air and you get past the point of no return. What does the bike weigh btw?

Cheers Paul, yeah i did a similar thing last February, U turn with a larg-ish burd on the back, still salt`n grit in the middle of the road,....can't hold her.....she's going...geronimo!!:eyepopping:

According to Wiikepedia, she's 204.6 kg (451.0 pounds)...the bike Paul, not the fat burd passenger, pay attention mate!:biggrin:

Cakemeister: Thanks Dave (and Mand) X.

I spent this afternoon sorting some of the damage out, which included straightening the rear brake lever (vice, heat, molegrips), the offside handlebar mirror had both the bolt and tension screw rather bent, so i binned them and rummaged in my spares containers and sorted stainless replacements, much better, shame no-one will see them!

The h/bars had twisted in the clamps (rubber mounted) and the front brake/throttle assembly was pointing south, south west, so everything was loosened off, jiggled about a bit, then everything re-tightned again, oh happy day! :biggrin:.

The silencer wasn't as badly damaged as i thought it would be, they are stainless pea-shooters (£820 per pair, i paid £420 secondhand) but last years off had already left a scrape mark on it, so it just got a good polishing.
The timing cover also got a second gouging, last year it was salt`ngrit, this time it was gravel, so a bit of wet`n dry and solvol autosol, got it looking as good as it's ever likely to be.

So it's rideable again, i'll replace the headlight rim at some point before i flog it.
Now then,

Do i get this:

Or this:

G ; )

He11cat
21-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't you dare buy that yuky BMW !!

:) I liked that silver monster kept peeking at it :)
but it would just end up being silver and glittery!

Just don't upset this lot by buying the vtr monster looky likey on the bay!!!
Mind you at that cc you'd loose your will to live in Wales it's 250cc monster knock off :)

get what's best for you .
BMW are usually heavy arnt they ?

BluprintZ
21-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I quite like the 800r Mel, i was considering one before i bought the Triumph (at the moment, i wish i had done)!

The Beemers weight is 177.0 kg (390.2 pounds), it's not too bad, the weight is low down, whereas on the Triumph, it feels more top heavy.
My mates R1200GS feels a lot easier to move around the workshop than the Triumph.....in fact, i'm fast coming to the conclusion, that the Triumph could possibly be the heaviest bike in the woild, it deefinately seemed that way on Saturday when i was tryin' to pick the fecker up!!

I'm probably going to bell Woods in Abergele tomorrow, they are only half an hour away from me, i'll maybe get them to let me take the M750 out for a spin, i get on well with them so it won't be a problem, i'm always taking things out from there, the 796 Hypermotard last year for instance, hmm!

Martin: Cheers bud, i'm fine mate, nothing a hot bath that evening couldn't put right, still a bit achey though...but then i am an old gimmer, innit :biggrin:.

Toodle pips.

G ; )

MrsC_772
21-03-2011, 07:35 PM
You have my sympathy!

So even the newer Trumpets live up to the "Brit Iron" label?

As a member of the short leg club, along with Hellcat, I know that horrible sinking feeling all too well, of too much air, not enough ground, and a bike that's going to go over no matter what you now do.

Buy another Monster, you know you want to ...

And fit every R&G crash wart known to man (as I did when I bought mine).

The 696 is super-light (under 170kg I think). Not sure about the 796 weight wise. I forget the ergonomic reasons which led you to ditch your old Monnie for the Triumph. I've a feeling either the 796 and/or 1100 have slightly higher bars in relation to seat height than the 696 (less cafe-racer-ish) and either the 796 and/04 1100 have a higher seat height than the 696.

Capo
21-03-2011, 08:58 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pPjYweKeiLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BluprintZ
21-03-2011, 09:07 PM
You have my sympathy!

So even the newer Trumpets live up to the "Brit Iron" label?

......I forget the ergonomic reasons which led you to ditch your old Monnie for the Triumph.

Hi Ele.
I'm certainly not short in the leg but the weight of the Triumph is deffo the only reason i'm considering shifting it, other than that, it's a wicked bike and i'll be sad to see it go.

The reason i sold the M900, was due to problems with my hips, due to the seat/footrest/handlebar layout, i even fitted renthal bars and risers to try and help but after the trip to Spa and back, it was obvious that if i kept the Monnie, then any touring on it would be a non starter.
I'll nip up to Woods tomorrow if it isn't raining and see what's what, Geoff wants me to get a Motard, i had a test on a 796 last year, so i'm aware of their capabilities.

G ; )

gary tompkins
21-03-2011, 11:22 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pPjYweKeiLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote: "So what do you do if you can't get the bike up by yourself?"

Err.. How about swapping it for something that isn't built like a panzer tank.. numbnuts :chuckle:

I think I'd need a trampoline to get on that thing

gremlin
22-03-2011, 01:50 PM
sorry to hear of the tip up, I've done it a few times with the monnie mainly due to not enough legs, it's a horrible feeling when they start to go. It's the embarrassment factor too, I avoid going to things with lots of bikes just in case, being a lass it adds grist to the women shouldn't ride bikes mill. I can't get mine off the deck so if I'm on my own I'm stuffed!
I had bar risers made for my wee beasty and it helped no end, moved the position of my hips and as everything was a bit more upright gave me a bit more leg to get a foot down. I think I'm up 2ins and back about the same, it helped with the reach across the tank which obviously you don't have to worry about.
Hope you're not too bashed about, you can do all sorts of damage trying to save them.
Starngely the only time I've hurt myself was when the 125 went down on loose gravel, I didn't have time to get a foot down and got stuck under the bike and had it all slam down on my knee which partially dislocated. Took 20 mins for Clive to come and rescue me, he thought I was yapping to someone walking their dog, it was only when curiosity got the better of him I was saved.
Take care big sympathy hug!

Mr Cake
22-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Don't forget that these weight claims are as comical as they are ridiculous. The bikes are usually weighed with no vital fluids in them. Some of them will fudge it anyhow just so they're lighter than the next factory. So factor in about a gallon (4.5 Euros) of engine oil, fork oil and brake fluid combined, and around 30lbs (15 Euros approx) of jungle juice to plonk on top of the engine. Try and get the measured 'wet' weight before you chuck yourself underneath it folks :thumbsup:

C

Capo
22-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Don't forget that these weight claims are as comical as they are ridiculous. The bikes are usually weighed with no vital fluids in them. Some of them will fudge it anyhow just so they're lighter than the next factory. So factor in about a gallon (4.5 Euros) of engine oil, fork oil and brake fluid combined, and around 30lbs (15 Euros approx) of jungle juice to plonk on top of the engine. Try and get the measured 'wet' weight before you chuck yourself underneath it folks :thumbsup:

C

Where can you get engine oil for 4.5 Euros per gallon?

Mr Cake
22-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Hahaha! You're ace, Capo! Sorry boss, when I say Euros I mean Litres, Kilometres, kilograms, etc...

C

BluprintZ
22-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Cheers all.

Sarah; i had no intention of doing anything other than making sure i was well out of the way, when the bike hit the ground, i probably got the bruises on my elbow and hip when i launched myself, when it was obvious that if i got my leg trapped under the beggar, then A: it would likely have done some damage to said leg and B: as i found out from my mate the day after, i would have been stuck under it for at least an hour, before they came home.
I did the same last year and again, i made sure i was as far away from the bike as was possible.

Update on the M750 at Woods in Abergele: The test ride is booked in for Friday after dinner.
They want to give it a good going over, then change the belts and give her an oil and filter change before she goes out, which is fair enough.
The Thruxton will probably go on e-bay within the next week, there's a couple of things need sorting on it before i advertise it.
Other than that, i had a good blast on the Triumph today and bought two stainless allen bolts, to fasten the bar-end mirrors on....again, although i had to turn the heads down from 10mm to 8mm on the lathe, so tomorrow i shall re-fit the mirrors.

Toodles.

G ; ) :biggrin:.

Mr Cake
22-03-2011, 06:37 PM
You'll love the 750 mate! It's a nice shop is Woods.

C

gary tompkins
22-03-2011, 06:42 PM

C

I can vouch for Woods customer service having used them for mail order spares

Very helpful on the phone, usually have everything in stock and delivery is super fast

BluprintZ
22-03-2011, 06:45 PM

C

Cheers Dave, the idea is to see if i get any problems from my hips on the test ride.
They are brillaint at Woods i agree, i've had a few bikes out on test and it's no bother to be out for a few hours on them.

G ; ):thumbsup:.

J_Dub
24-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Cheers John, it WAS a nice looking bike, if i carry on like this, it'll start looking like a garden shed.
How are you mate?, have you got another bike yet?
I'm coming up to Rossendale mid April for the annual ROL get-together, so i'll pop in for a brew while i'm up there, probably be going to Rivvy barn on the Sunday as well.

Take care bud.

G ; ) :thumbsup:.

I'm OK thanks, but got no bike :grump: I sometimes wish I'd bought the monnie back off the insurance company, but on the other hand I don't think there was much that didn't need replacing and work / cash is still a problem.
Yep drop in and have a brew when you're back over here, I think Karl might be home mid April too.

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm OK thanks, but got no bike :grump: I sometimes wish I'd bought the monnie back off the insurance company, but on the other hand I don't think there was much that didn't need replacing and work / cash is still a problem.

Yea, it's a shame that John.
I'm sure if you had kept the Monnie, there would have been plenty on here willing to have helped you with getting it sorted out again mate, never mind.
See you in April bud.

G ; )

utopia
24-03-2011, 01:08 PM
........ Litres, Kilometres, kilograms, etc......

4.5 kilometres of oil......??
Now that really IS a long chain polymer.

Sorry, I know I'm a pedant.........:rolleyes:
Had it drummed into me many years ago during engineering study....numbers are meaningless without (the correct) units.

Mand
24-03-2011, 01:40 PM
4.5 kilometres of oil......??
Now that really IS a long chain polymer.

Had it drummed into me many years ago during engineering study....numbers are meaningless without (the correct) units.

Err I think Mr Cake uses the term "euros" for anything that is in metric. It is not to be taken seriously. :)

So George, you still on for your visit to Woods tomorrow?

Mr Cake
24-03-2011, 02:17 PM

I too studied engineering! Never traded in my qualifications for my sense of humour though... I wasn't very good at English though so I read pedant and heard gentleman sausage Just kidding utopia ;) :)

Lots of serious people. So many... So many...

C

Ps. Have fun George!

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 02:32 PM
So George, you still on for your visit to Woods tomorrow?

Yep, sure am Mand, in fact Steve at Woods phoned me about an hour ago, to confirm that they have given the bike a good going over, plus charged the battery.
You still got your bike?

G ; ) x

Mand
24-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Yep, sure am Mand, in fact Steve at Woods phoned me about an hour ago, to confirm that they have given the bike a good going over, plus charged the battery.
You still got your bike?

G ; ) x

I most certainly have. All shiny and looking beautiful (it has a Dave deep cleanse special) and is ready to be ridden.

New rear tyre.... check!
New battery........check!
Insured..... check!
MOT - next week.......oooo check (hopefully)
Tax and then......................VROOM!

All set to be parked outside the office of my new job in cardiology, hmm this will either fill the morgue or wake up a few patients. :D

However getting into my usual leathers may be a tall order, I predict a diet!

Mr Cake
24-03-2011, 02:50 PM
What is office?

C

Mand
24-03-2011, 02:51 PM
What is office?

C

Shut your face.... I am on wind down and I am also multi talented.

See you in a bit xxxxxxxxxxx :heart:

A glass of stout would be nice

LouSCannon
24-03-2011, 02:54 PM
George! Missed this entire thread! Things, as usual, have been manic recently!

Glad to hear you're ok mate, shame about the Thruxton (Always jealous of that bike), but also good you're thinking about another Monster... you know it makes sense! :)

Keep us updated mate?!

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Keep us updated mate?!

No probs Jim, we'll see how the test ride goes.
Are you around mid April for Rivvy barn?

G ; ) :thumbsup:

LouSCannon
24-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Could be, what's happening at Rivvy barn?

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Could be, what's happening at Rivvy barn?

Not sure but it's both my birthday and my sons on the Sunday, so i try to get up North at this time of year, he lives in Dewbury.
I'm going up to Rossendale for the http://www.rossendaleonline.co.uk/ annual get-together, so it all ties in nicely.
I have a mate in Bolton and we usually go to Rivvy while i'm up there, bit of a pilgrimage i suppose.

G ; )

LouSCannon
24-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Give me a date and a time mate and I'll see if I can make it, got a few things happening for my b'day but hopefully shouldn't clash!

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Sunday 17th April Jim, although i'll be coming up on Friday 15th and back to Welsh Wales on Monday dinner.

G ; )

buzzbomb
24-03-2011, 07:31 PM
The Ducati Road Show will be at Rivi Barn on sunday 8th may along with DucatiManchester who will have a range of new ducati clothing, plus on the 1st may the road show will be at Betws-y-coed followed on the 2nd may at the Fylde Bike Night at St. Annes which is a bank holiday monday evening and again DucatiManchester will be in attendance with clothing.

BluprintZ
24-03-2011, 09:28 PM
The power of advertising eh Geoff? LOL.
I'll deffo be at the Betwys gig mate.

G ; 0

utopia
26-03-2011, 11:49 AM
...... read pedant and heard gentleman sausage Just kidding utopia ;) :)

No offence taken, Cake.....made me larf.

So, how did you find the 750, George ? ....or was it so good that you're still out there swinging your way through the bends of North Wales ?
179kg, two valves, air-cooling and no electronics....you know it makes sense.
Actually, it was North Wales where my lust for a 750 Ducati first began, back in 1973, Dragon Rally, just outside Betw..Betsw...Bewts.....y.....co....well there, anyway.

BluprintZ
26-03-2011, 05:41 PM
So, how did you find the 750, George ?....

Well, i went up the A55, then turned off at Abergele and........you asked for that Jeff:D.

Anyway, the long and short is, i'm not getting it.
Not because it wasn't good to ride, it was and the bottom-end "thump, thump" brought back memories of the old 900 but.....it just wasn't right.
Thankfully, having owned a Monnie, i knew what to look for and to be honest, even if it had been a grand cheaper, i still wouldn't have been tempted, it need quite a bit of sorting out.

The bike itself was very clean, the silver bodytwork was bang on, in that respect it had been well looked after but one or two other bits worried me.
Rode it out of the shop and headed for the dual carriageway, my mate was with me, he was testing the new Triumph tiger 800.
Got on to the A55 and gave it a bit of welly but it started to bog down, as though the air filter was blocked, or it had fuel starvation on full throttle.
It got slightly better as it warmed up but if i gave it anything over three quarters throttle,
it would bog down and the induction from the carbs was louder that i expected, as though there was no filter fitted.

It handled like it was on rails, miles better thsn the Thruxton and it was much easier to throw around, although i went into a couple of bends a bit too quickly and when i hit the front brake, the forks felt like they were twisting, possibly due to the single disc, the Thruxton does the same, that also has one disc up front, the M900 had twin discs, so i never had that problem with it, two finger braking was way enough on that one.

There were a few issues with the electrics as well, the neutral light was on all of the time and i couldn't find the headlight switch, so they were on all the time, do some models not have a light switch?, the Thruxton doesnt have one either.
It had brand new Dunlops on, not sure what type they were but the front end wallowed a bit at low speed, such as slowing down for a junction, from say 20mph and below.
It had just over 10k on the clock, the engine sounded ok mechanically, or as much as i remember the 900 sounding, apart from 900 having the dry clutch that is.

I didn't think it was worth £2, 216, it just didn't seem right in a few areas, or maybe i was just spoiled with having had the 900 before, that one was perfect in every way and it was the same year (`98), similar milage and i paid £2,000. for it.
There's no mad rush, something will turn up that i fancy eventually, it always does.

G ; )

Pomp1
26-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Blimey G. I'm not on the forum for a week.and I get back to you as an almost ex biker..the F800 is a nice bike,they do a Pfeifer version which is good. Although that a Monster would be a nice return

Mr Cake
27-03-2011, 08:16 AM
The wallowing feeling at slow speeds and and the twisting sensation in the corners sounds like a low tyre pressure. The bogging down is almost certainly an open airbox/aftermarket filter with the carb not being jetted properly.

C

analogue_rogue
27-03-2011, 08:24 AM
179kg, two valves, air-cooling and no electronics....you know it makes sense.

Hell yeah !!! :D :thumbsup: