PDA

View Full Version : M900 Wont start

sbhumphrey
15-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Tried to start my Monster at the weekend after a few weeks of non use and the engine turned over very slowly and wouldn't catch as if the battery was run down. Charged the battery and still had the same problem. Thinking it was down to the battery I have replaced the battery with a new one and it is still just struggling to turn over and wont catch. Any ideas? The earth lead looks okay.:worried:

Yorkie
15-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Top up the levels (If required) in the battery and give it a good couple of days charge, although if it is goosed or really old get a new one, try and get some fuel around the system as well, clean/replace the spark plugs just to give it a helping hand.

Good luck.

Yorkie

sbhumphrey
15-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I have bought a new battery and fully charged it. It seems for some reason that the engine won't turn over properly even with the new battery. It just struggles and turns slowly for a few seconds then stops, then turns slowly for a few seconds and stops.

Yorkie
15-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Silly question from me but, who charged your battery and for how long? Im sure it should be for 24hrs.

I know its a cardinal sin (To some), but i have resorted to hooking up my car on occasion, and no problems occured.

Check the power from the battery first to ensure it has been correctly charged.

Yorkie

Yorkie
15-03-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.motorcyclebatteryshop.co.uk/howtomaintainamotorcyclebattery.php

Yorkie

sbhumphrey
15-03-2011, 12:44 PM
I am on the third battery. Charged the original for 24 hours, new one for nearly 48 hours on my car charger and borrowed a friends which was charged by him for 24 hours just as a test, still doesn't want to spin the motor quickly. Three weeks ago it span and caught fine but alas non use has done for me....

Gordon H
15-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Mine does exactly the same if I leave it for a couple of weeks - resorted to taking the battery off the bike and storing it indoors.

Make sure you are giving it every chance to fire up - lights off, clutch in etc.........

I also went over the connections to the starter motor and cleaned them up - made quite a difference - motor positively jumps on first press now.....

analogue_rogue
15-03-2011, 02:42 PM
check the earth for the starter relay and try linking battery straight to starter and see if it turns the starter ok. if it does then its a wiring fault if it doesnt then its a starter fault....

sbhumphrey
17-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Just been told the starter is fxxked and the bolts holding it on too so the major strip down and rebuild starts now