PDA

View Full Version : Touring Ireland?

LouSCannon
15-03-2011, 10:30 AM
So, after some inspiration from another member (Thanks Char) I'm thinking of planning a week away to Ireland. Never toured or even been on holiday on my own before, but thinking it might do me some good... I need the break from work and I have no desire to mope around on my Birthday!

Before I go delving in to maps and websites, was wondering if any other member can recommend any places to visit or stay over there? Will be on a budget so will have to avoid the 4 star hotels...

Any other advice also welcome....

bex
15-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Funny, was just chatting to Martin about this yesterday. Depends if you're going north or south etc?

On another note we were talking about getting over there as a bigger group maybe next summer (this ones pretty full already), to catch some road racing and good roads. Bacon sarnies on my mum also on the menu ;)

J.P
15-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I'd definitely stick to the south, even just looking at google maps it looks much greener.
If a bloke can travel round Ireland with an old fridge, I'm sure you can manage it on the S4R.

Shuffy has in-laws over there so he'd be a good source of where to AVOID !

Stafford
15-03-2011, 01:46 PM
If a bloke can travel round Ireland with an old fridge, I'm sure you can manage it on the S4R.

Aren't they the same thing all pipes and stuff?

J.P
15-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, and once you get Jim on me on the bikes, we're pretty 'cool' too.

samieb
15-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Sounds good Jim, if the weather holds you'll have a good week over there. Wouldn't mind trying Ireland again either 1 year in the near future, but it would have to be Southern Ireland though the North (NW200) takes forever and a day to reach.

AS Bex mentioned however 2011 has now been booked for a Mugello trip so will look at my Crystal Ball for next year and beyond.

Gordon H
15-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I've driven most of the roads through Cork, West Cork, Kerry and Galway - no speed cameras and unless things have changed dramatically in the last few years, the local police aren't too bothered.....

Road surfaces are the main problem - for potholes read craters, road markings are optional and adherance to any kind of highway code by the locals is at best, hit and miss.....

Traffic is light but a lot of agricultural traffic which means mud - and lots of it........

Love to take a bike over Heally Pass and Gap of Dunloe........

Sounds good!!

Rally
15-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Jim,
I've been there on a number of occasions over the years, last year was the most recent. The South is great. I would ride through Wales from yours to Pembroke, ferry to Rosslare and head for Cork, Limerick, Killarny, ring of Kerry and Dingle and then to Galway. (Check out the Sears Pub at the dockside!) Make sure you see the Moah Cliffs, granite at its best. The roads are okay, but rough around the 'Rings', not many cameras, but there are two on the road to Cork now. Lastly, go from Galway to Dublin, a great road (Check out Temple Bar) and then ferry back to Holyhead. A55 back across to hester and home. :D

I have some B & B phone numbers on that route if you want them?

bigredduke
15-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Just make sure you miss Killarney, it's full of Americans 'searching for their roots'

Ireland has got seriously expensive in recent years so make sure you take lots of spending money to fund the Guinness. It is really fabulous over there, a completely different drink from over here.

Gordon H
15-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Just make sure you miss Killarney, it's full of Americans 'searching for their roots'

Killarney is terrible - those bloody tourist cart drivers are the worst - won't take no for an answer.

On a good day the road round the end of the Dingle peninsula is stunning - Conner Pass is an experience too - just don't hold up one of the locals if he is on a mission!!

Grumpy
15-03-2011, 08:12 PM
The coast road from Portrush towards Belfast is on a world heritage site, amazing road, plus if you time your trip right you could take in some real road racing.

vtaggart
15-03-2011, 08:36 PM
The coast road from Portrush towards Belfast is on a world heritage site, amazing road, plus if you time your trip right you could take in some real road racing.

As Bex will confirm the Antrim coast road http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_road_(Northern_Ireland)#Route is a brill road and on my front door, the north is cheaper, has better roads and very easily you can visit Donegal in the north of the south (only in Ireland). Start with breakfast in Caffe Spice the best eating house in Larne http://caffespice.com/home.cfm (if I say so myself), ride onto Portrush http://portrush.org.uk/ , then onto Letterkenny in Donegal http://www.letterkennyguide.com/ just in time to enjoy a few pints :drunk: Bring it on:thumbsup:

countvonaltibar
23-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Can only second vtaggart's comments above. The Antrim coast road is absolutely stunning on a good day you get excellent views across the North Channel to Scotland. A great road for the motorbike as it's not too taxing to ride and you can take in the views safely along the way. Might visit that Cafe Spice, I always seem to pass through Larne without stopping.

dam
24-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Ireland has got seriously expensive in recent years so make sure you take lots of spending money to fund the Guinness. It is really fabulous over there, a completely different drink from over here.

Why not "do" Scotland instead?

Its lovely!!!!!

utopia
24-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Road surfaces are the main problem - for potholes read craters, road markings are optional and adherance to any kind of highway code by the locals is at best, hit and miss.

That sums up the road conditions in Cork and Waterford pretty accurately, in my experience.
You should definitely try to catch a road race somewhere. They seem to run them very frequently, often on consequetive weekends, so there should be one somewhere, sometime during your visit.
And of course, make sure you spend at least one evening amongst bar-room musicians.

I'm definitely up for a group jaunt to Ireland in the near future.

Headhunter
24-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Lous, I toured Ireland a few years back. Will try and find my route maps for you.

Ring of Kerry is a must - would also check out parts of north west Ireland (Galway etc). Head north from Dublin to Roscommon - then on to Galway - then head south along the coast towards Ring of Kerry - then head up north towards Dublin.

My single piece of advice, regardless of time of year, is to buy the best waterproof clothing. Emphasis on being waterproof! Don't want to dampen spirits (no pun intended) but be prepared to get very wet. I've been to Ireland to see family on numerous occassions and there's two things you can guarantee......getting wet and getting your stomach very wet (guinness).

You'll love it though!

gary tompkins
24-06-2011, 09:29 AM
We had a 10 day holiday in the south a few years ago. Did a fly drive from Gatwick to Cork, picked up car (fantastic little skoda fabia sport), then 2 nights in a Cork B&B before we set off to tour south coast. We had a week at the lovely Ferrypoint cottage in Youghal, which we used as a base to visit local areas. There's a fantastic Aherne's seafood resturant in Youghal. Had a couple of superb meals in there. The only thing that spoilt holiday for us was the cost (poor euro to pound rate) and weather - we had a lot of rain.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.955044,-7.83801&spn=0,0.00567&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=51.955072,-7.83818&panoid=e85RXLZ3QWBXwa4QRRN1YA&cbp=12,121.75,,0,0

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.957011,-7.851909&spn=0,0.002835&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.957125,-7.852047&panoid=upZNb9hk2za373Cl77Oy0A&cbp=12,102.18,,0,0

LouSCannon
24-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Cheers for all the info guys, keep it coming...

Although my trip has been postponed due to sorting home stuff out I've been offered the use of a cottage near Cork, sleeps 6 easily, so when the time comes might post up see if anyone else fancies a jaunt...

Gordon H
24-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Cheers for all the info guys, keep it coming...

Although my trip has been postponed due to sorting home stuff out I've been offered the use of a cottage near Cork, sleeps 6 easily, so when the time comes might post up see if anyone else fancies a jaunt...

Cork is great (once you get used to the traffic system) - The county gets better the further west you go - I was told by a local that "there's no law in Cork, by the time you get to West Cork, there's no god!!"

Clonakilty, Roscarbery through to Skibbereen and Baltimore is as rural as Ireland gets....

utopia
24-06-2011, 12:39 PM
If my information/memory is correct, there was a new addition to the road race calendar last year....a race through the streets of Cork. I think it was late in the year too. Haven't seen this year's calendar, but the local official that I heard talking on the tv seemed keen to make it an annual event.

Stuart42
24-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Jim

If you are interested in taking in some racing, check realroadracing.com, they have a calender with all races listed

Cheers
Stuart

24-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Jim,

I live in Kerry and can confirm that Kerry, Cork, Tipperary, Waterford will all hit the spot for some touring especially if you have a base in Cork to operate from, loads of day trips possible, we do it all the time.

I'm just back from the TT and came home via Larne and rode the coast road to the Giant's Causeway, Portrush, Portstewart - absolutely fabulous - and it rained the whole time. We came home via Armoy, Ballymoney, Kells, Cookstown and the road surfaces were great, much better than down the south.

Very few fixed speed cameras in the South, but we now have mobile vans on the prowl manned by a private company on behalf of the police. You would be very unlucky to be caught on a bike, different in a car. Police still use the hairdryers but don't bother with foreign registered vehicles, too much paperwork - no on the spot fines here yet.

Closest road racing is : Athea, Co Limerick 23rd & 24th July.

Munster 100 Timoleague Co Cork Sat 20th Sun 21st August, this replaces Dunmanway which was run last year for the first time in years. Google Irish Road Racing Dates.

You should come over, you'll have a ball. If you need any more info or help give us a shout and I'll do my best, maybe meet up on the road.

Steve.