PDA

View Full Version : battery problems multistrada

scrapps
14-03-2011, 12:18 PM
The Battery on my Multistada has started to flatten when the bike is left for around 48hrs or more.
I have fitted a new one but still going flat when bike is left.
It has a alarm system but I have no instructions on how to turn it off(secondhand bike) I will check charging tonight but I am sure it is charging.
Seems to be drained when stood ? have been using a optimate between the two bike and monster has had no problems.

PaulV
14-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Are you talking about the standard immobiliser or an after market alarm?

If it is an after market system I can't imagine you would be able to turn it off. From what you are saying it sounds like it is drawing too much current, which kills the battery faster, with out a multimeter (clip on ammeter would be best) you don't really have any way of checking the Amps its drawing.

Rip out the alarm carefully, should solve the problem:thumbsup:

scrapps
14-03-2011, 03:01 PM
After market alarm.
I would suspect the alarm but want to check there is not a known problem with the early Mutli's 1st.

w108rna
14-03-2011, 04:35 PM
After market alarm.
I would suspect the alarm but want to check there is not a known problem with the early Mutli's 1st.

I had a MultiStrada years ago and had exactly the same problem. I think mine was on an '03 plate. I used to charge mine up to get it started and running, but literally within hours the battery would be flat again. I did not have access to a trickle charger at the time as i was living in an apartment and didn't have the luxury of a garage.

I changed the battery, changed various fuses, changed the coils and various other things but with no success. I ended up selling the bike as a non runner as I was so pissed off with it. My bike was totally standard apart from heated grips and only had the standard Ducati security.

I hope you can get yours sorted and easily, as i'm sure they are really good bikes, i just never got to find out with mine.

He11cat
14-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Oh no :( hope you get the doodle sorted.

PaulV
14-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Mine is an 04 and I haven't heard of any problems like those mentioned. It might be on it's second battery since new. Ask on multistrada.net , you might get some more info.

scrapps
14-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Going to do some testing of the drain on the battery and charging voltage over the next few days when i have collected the avo from my dad as a digital meter is no a good.
will also fit a switch inline to the alarm so i can turn it off when bikes locked in the garage

Thirdway
19-03-2011, 07:34 AM
I have a theory:

Battery gets old and low on charge.
Owner attempts to start bike several times.
Battery voltage dips low.
Low voltage causes high current across starter motor/relay/wiring and causes damage.
New battery gets fitted.
Owner tries to start bike.
Damaged components cause huge drain on battery.
Battery gets low on charge

and the cycle repeats itself.

If a battery attempts to turm a motor and has a low voltage then it effectively causes a short circuit and instead of turning the motor it simply causes heating and burning of brushes and windings. That is the same at every contact point and connector. Anywhere there is a resistance will result in heat. Heat causes burning which increases resistance (probably why some owners have had success replacing the starter wiring).

I noticed that there is a thing called a batterybug available from the USA. It actually tells you how much cranking capacity remains in the battery and warns when there is not sufficient. Probably a good thing for Ducati owners.

jerry
19-03-2011, 10:51 AM
sounds like something could be drainig the battery

scrapps
19-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Ok so today I did some tests on the bike and battery.
The battery in the Multi was giving out 13.4v when in the bike. when bike is running its getting 14.5v
put a AVO in line on 1amp DC and it reads 1 bar (could not tell amount in mili amps) when alarm armed and static. it reads 2-3 bars as it arms.
Tested the Monster and when the bike is just sitting it reads the same (1 bar) as the Multi.

Thirdway i see what your trying to say but the bike only drains when left for 48/36hrs or more and if using the bike for the day starting/stopping 3 or 4 times or more its fine. so i dont think its a starter issue.