PDA

View Full Version : 2005 S2R Won't Start

Aus_X
12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Hello all,
Yesterday afternoon at work, I started the bike and proceeded out the garage, turned onto the street and the bike died. Turned it off, turned the key to start and nothing, No clocks, no lights, nothing. With the key off the immobiliser light flashes and I can turn the parking lights on. I pushed it back into the garage and checked all the fuses and everything seems fine.
I've seen a few posts here with similar problems but no one mentions that they can turn the parking lights on?
I went back today and checked all the fuses again and I switched the Ignition and main relays around to see if that did anything and the clocks lit up. Now I think that I heard a small squeal yesterday when the bike started up. So I'm going to try and test the relay with a multi metre and probably replace it anyway.
My question is, which is the main relay and which is that ignition relay? (pic attached) Also what is the part number or equivalent does anyone know a price?

Thanks for any help.

Pomp1
12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
no pics. [IMG] is for pics from hosting sites, you need to attach on "go advance"

Aus_X
12-03-2011, 04:18 PM
pic now attached

Nickj
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
The 'parking' light is a function of the key switch it just turns to that position, probably it has a a direct feed off of the battery.
If you turn the ignition to on and zilch happens and the immobiliser stops flashing the relay is probably your culprit.
If you turn the ignition to on and the immobilser keeps flashing check the key inductive loop ariel position and connection as well

Aus_X
13-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the reply Nickj. Today I took out both relays today and noticed that the number 1 relay in the attached photo had some light coloured powder on it (similar to what you'd see with a short) as well as being slightly melted. So this I assume is the culprit.
Does anyone have any ideas on the best place to pick up a new 12v 20amp relay?

Aus_X
24-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Just thought that I'd let you know that I bought a relay and now the bike is back to normal.

Funkatronic
24-03-2011, 08:55 PM
good work , useful to know