PDA

View Full Version : E 10

Ducmon
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Germany has now brought in ethanol mixture of fuel which is 10% and 5 cents cheaper than super (which went up so we would buy the E10 fuel:banghead:)

The big question is can a M600 built in 1995 run with ethanol without any risks to the engine and carbs or should I keep on feeding her with super. nobody here knows if cars can run on the stuff let alone motorbikes

Nickj
10-03-2011, 09:09 PM
10% should be OK, but you ought to get a few fresh fuel filters in as it will scour out all the old crud and glaze in the tank and the carbs.
Make sure all the fuel tubing is made of neoprene as ethanol will literally melt rubber, fibreglass is also a big no no, it dissolves it!!

There may be a few advantages, one is that that the fuel will burn cooler plus as you effectively already have a 10% addition of Pro FST carb icing is very unlikely.

PedroII
10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Most modern cars a designed to run on E10 now.US and Brazil have been running up to 10% for a few decades now. Ford Model T was able to run on pure ethanol.
I've run my m750 carbie on e10 (thanks tesco) without realizing with no trouble, but have read somewhere that it can cause problems especially if you don;t use the bike often. I'll try and dig out the article for you.

Scotty
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
apparently issues with the newer plastic fuel tanks

Dave G
10-03-2011, 09:48 PM
apparently issues with the newer plastic fuel tanks

No apparantly about it, E10 has caused major problem in the US with Ducatis plastic tanks.
It has other side effects on other componants but this is the most immediate for most ducati owners here.
The marine community has endured this longer and has stabilisers to put in the fuel but why its been allowed to be introduced when so many of these issues are still outstanding I've no idea, and it actually lowers MPG figures at the same time.
Vested interests at work, and yes tree huggers we're looking at you so hopefully you'll all sleep soundly in your beds knowing that you've hijacked food production land across the globe to satisfy your hippy outlooks while actually costing everyone a lot more money and making no difference whatsoever to the climate and society at large.

Funkatronic
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
yeah was reading about that the other week, swelling and blistering of platic tanks Ducatis not pleasant

makes me think twice about taking my bike over to Germany ever

are there any plans to introduce it here?

jerry
11-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Read the threads on Ducati monster forums in USA and see what E10 does to modern ducatis , swelling and bursting fuel tanks , ducati have a massive problem in USA with E10 .

Ducmon
11-03-2011, 11:32 AM
ok that settles it I will tank with the more expensive super because of the plastic floats and o rings in the carb.

Thanks guys enjoy the spring weather.:mand:

jerry
11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
ok that settles it I will tank with the more expensive super because of the plastic floats and o rings in the carb.

Thanks guys enjoy the spring weather.:mand:

Ethanol compatble viton parts can be fitted ....and u have a metal tank but problems still occur , E10 absorbs water

Nickj
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
On a 600 they'd be viton to start with, they'd have rotted away by now otherwise

jerry
13-03-2011, 05:01 PM
some ethanol eats even Viton .