PDA

View Full Version : Removal Advice - wheels, Oil Cooler, Cranks

littlejimmy12
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Hi

I've got my stands ready, new oil sump plug gasket, oil filter etc and I am now ready to start. I am planning on:

FYI its a 2002 S4 with an S4R 996 engine

- remove front and rear wheel for powder coating
- remove oil cooler to be powder coated
- remove outer casings to be painted
- remove radiator to be powerd coated (if possible)
- remove upper triple tree to be powder coated

My questions

1. Anything I should concern myself over the removal of radiator, oil cooler and casings
2. How do I remove the wheel, never done this before.

Are there any key tools that I will need? I have a half decent set of tools. The wheels are my biggest concern.

thanks

LJ

analogue_rogue
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
dunno about s4r but on the m600 the cush drives go through the oven no probs.. ( i found out the hard way with a sweat on...)

Capo
10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Do you have the S4R swing arm.
Radiators can be powder coated BUT I know of only one place who can do this without bridging the fins.
Eastwood radiator paint is a good alternative

littlejimmy12
10-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Its still got the S4 double swing

Nickj
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi

1. Anything I should concern myself over the removal of radiator, oil cooler and casings
The mixture of oil and water all over the floor will make it very slippery so be careful

Are there any key tools that I will need? Nothing in any of the above jobs that a big mole wrench, hammer and chisel can't handle ;)

LOL Had an odd kind of day so expecting anything sensible from me for the next 24 hours is pure wishful thinking

gary tompkins
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Getting all the old oil out of a cooler prior to painting is a PITA

Flushing it through with parrafin should help

littlejimmy12
10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Getting all the old oil out of a cooler prior to painting is a PITA

Flushing it through with parrafin should help

Did my S2R a couple of years ago and yes it seemed like the oil was never ending, a certain member on here put it in his mothers dish washer ha ha ha ha ha

parafin idea is v good - stands delivered tomoz, so hope to start removal next week. Bike will look killer when it's finished

cairojay
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Get the engine hot before you drain the oil - much quicker. As for tools - you need a decent torque wrench that can handle upto 200 Nm - dunno what size nut it is on a double side swingarm but the single side is a 46mm and you'll need a decent ratchet bar to get it off in the first place.