PDA

View Full Version : Electrical/immobilizer problem

DucHead
09-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Last Saturday, I left my girlfriend's place and rode two blocks to a gas station. As I approached the pumps, I shifted into neutral and turned the key to "off," but the bike didn't stop running. It kept chugging like it does when the starter button is depressed. I hit the kill switch -- no effect. Puzzled and not quite sure what to do, I flipped the kill switch, turned the key to "on," and rode to the next gas station -- four miles away.

Again, as I approached the pumps, I put the bike in neutral, turned the key to "off," and this time all was normal. I fueled up, started the bike and headed for home.

As I've been busy at work, and I'm "building" another bike, I forgot about this (somewhat) and rode the Monster to work on Monday (making a few stops in between), and all was normal.

Tonight I went to start the bike, and turned the key to "on," gauges swept, fuel pump primed, but when I pushed the starter button, nothing. Not a thing.

I also noticed that the yellow "engine warning" light was on momentarily. Still puzzled (my equilibrium state :spin:), I swapped out my Ducati Performance ECU for the stock unit. Same result: no starting, with engine light.

Now I think it might be an immobilizer problem, and not an ignition switch problem (since the engine warning light goes on).

I've never used the red key, but I'm going to read the owner's manual after posting this.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Dave

DucHead
09-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Okay, how 'bout this? I lean on the rear wheel to pull the seat latch cord (I removed the lock), and the bike is in gear with the neutral light on!!!!!

Feck. Put it in "real" neutral and it started right up. :-[ What a ****in' idiot. Is that why they call them "idiot" lights?

Nevertheless, there's still a problem, perhaps with the solenoid. Is there any way of telling if its prone to sticking by visual examination?