PDA

View Full Version : garmin sat nav

Fat Dog
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Has anybody tried a garmin car sat nav on a moto,I dont want to pay the dedicated bike sat nav prices, not worried about waterproofness or lack of it. cheers

Albie
08-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Yes. I have a Garmin 1310 thats widescreen 4.3". I got a waterproof case with bike bike for around £23 off the ebay. Great. Buy another rechargeable battery backup for 8hrs use for another £25 or less.

Trent
09-03-2011, 05:13 AM
I bought one of the cheapie Navman ones from Halfords for the same reasons as you.

I cut the cigarette lighter adapter off the end and wired it up to the battery (Note that the adapter has a circuit board in it so you have to keep that in the circuit)

As you say it's not waterproof, but when I'm going anywhere that I don't know the way, I have a map holder on the tank. I've put a piece of velcro on the back of the Satnav and on the inside of the map holder.
I place the Satnav inside the map holder, put the map in below that and zip it up...

The cable sits under the seat - when I need it, I whip the seat off and run the cable up the back of the tank into the map holder... simples...

It works great and only cost £55 + a couple of spare adapters (for the car, van) that were around £1 each off ebay (charger is the same as a Blackberry charger)

scrapps
09-03-2011, 11:23 AM
yep got a Garmin car satnav and waterproof bag plus two mounting brackets so I can just clip it to either bike.
used it last weekend and had no problems.(use a extra battery so no wiring)

Qba
09-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I think I'll go the same route. All second hand garmins 550 are no less than £250. Found this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Satellite-Navigation-System-Mapping/dp/B00151USEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299673266&sr=8-1, which with mount and waterproof case is only around £120.