PDA

View Full Version : Sticky front brake

cairojay
06-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Was riding to a mates last night when I noticed the bike slowing down rapidly throttling off. Thought it was an engine problem at first until I saw the smoke coming from the front! Luckily I spotted it quickly, stopped the bike and found that the front brake was sticking. Anyway, problem sorted itself but it does mean I have to replace the pads which would have been changed next service anyway but I haven't been able to see any obvious problem....Anyone else had this issue? If so any advice gratefully received!

Funkatronic
06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
could be the pistons sticking, generating heat and causing the fluid to boil

take the pads out and remove the calipers, give them a complete clean and use copper grease on the pistons,
inspect the pads to see if they are badly glazed, you might be able to sand them down with some wet or dry (wear a mask if you do this ) if they dont have much life left, just chnage them

bleed and change the fluid would be a good plan also

Scotty
06-03-2011, 06:47 PM
also make sure there is enough leaver play to allow the fluid back to the master cylinder reservoir

Albie
06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Happened to me. As advice as Funkatronics

analogue_rogue
07-03-2011, 07:41 PM
When you pop the piston out of caliper, pull the seal out that's in there and use a Sharp pointed object like a pick, to scrape out all of the crappy that will be formed in there too. May as well replace seal as it will .probably be damaged from this or the overheating anyway.

cairojay
07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks Everyone!

Bought some EBC HH replacement pads today just to be on the safe side - removed the callipers, on the side that stuck all the pads had worn down almost completely - less than a mm I reckon. As predicted, callipers were completely gunked up. Cleaned off with paraffin and good dose of hot water and washing up liquid. Interestingly, even though I had spotted the seize within a few seconds pads were totally knackered. The pads on the other side were totally fine, not bad for 17,000 miles. Changed them anyway just to keep things even, discs seem to be fine (dodged a bullet there!). I know its a small thing but being a complete novice I was really pleased that I did the job myself and didn't have to resort to getting the dealers to do it!