PDA

View Full Version : Sidestand Help

Char
06-03-2011, 07:19 AM
He's back but he doesn't leanover enough on the sidestand anymore - what are my options ?

Funkatronic
06-03-2011, 07:21 AM
how is that possible?

have you modded the stand or pivot point, or lowered the bike?

Char
06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Lower suspension :-).

chris yeatman
06-03-2011, 07:45 AM

bike will stand up more if lower, cos side stand is the same lenth

uksurfer
06-03-2011, 07:56 AM
get someone to cut a section out of the side stand an join it back together

Char
06-03-2011, 08:02 AM
I do understand why its doing it (dont let the dyed blonde hair fool you) - just wanted my options.

So cut & shut or new stand - no adjustment

Think everyones going a little stir crazy - get on yer bikes :nash:

Stuart42
06-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi Char

I won't add to the blonde comments, I did often wonder why if you lowered the suspension the side stand was too long, so learnt something today.

If you measure from centre nut to floor and let me know I may have one off another Duke that is shorter.

Cheers
Stuart

uksurfer
06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
easier option, use Stuarts spare one, but remember the bike won't stand up on its own when you take it off!
No blonde jokes from me!
:running:

Capo
06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Not all side stands are the same

Dookbob
06-03-2011, 01:33 PM
I had this on a multistrada, I removed the stand bracket from the crankcase, heated it up, and bent it outwards slightly, it doesn,t need much, easy to overdo it.

Capo
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
I had this on a multistrada, I removed the stand bracket from the crankcase, heated it up, and bent it outwards slightly, it doesn,t need much, easy to overdo it.

Probably the best solution, that bracket is thick and the required bend is in the direction it is designed to resist so you will have to get it red hot, that means you will have to refinish it afterwards

Capo
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM

How did you do that?
Have you also lowered the front?

Char
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Maxton made the rear lower as it was a custom spring, front lower also.

Inch out the seat as well - hooray I can touch the floor now without being on tip toes,,,

Like the idea of heating it up - do I get to play with fire :bunny:

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

barbican
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Char

Saw you bike today at the Cafe - Thought it looked great - for what it's worth I'd go for the mod to the bracket, but I would probably get a grownup to do it for me because me and a blowtorch = disaster

Capo
06-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Maxton made the rear lower as it was a custom spring, front lower also.

Inch out the seat as well - hooray I can touch the floor now without being on tip toes,,,

Like the idea of heating it up - do I get to play with fire :bunny:

Q: Why did God create blondes?
A: Because sheep can't bring beer from the fridge.
Q: Why did God create brunettes?
A: Neither could the blondes.

The reason I ask is that the ride height adjusted is at it's miniumum length as stock.

Also if you have lowered the front be sure to check that you have clearance between the front mudguard and the radiator at full compression.

barbican
06-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Also if you have lowered the front be sure to check that you have clearance between the front mudguard and the radiator at full compression.

Good point, my RS used to do this under heavy braking, and it was standard. (I did weigh a bit back then though)

Char
06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Front lowere some time ago and is fine - where can I find a grown up?

Mr Free Market
06-03-2011, 06:23 PM
You could always look at using a different mounting point … maybe something like this might suffice ????

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44/MrFreeMarket/sidestand.jpg

:chuckle:

uksurfer
06-03-2011, 06:28 PM
heat and bend sound good, did that to something the other week too....

Rally
06-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Cut and shut it. It would take 5 minutes to do as it is only alloy. You can keep the bit you cut out incase you want to put it back in one day. Take it to AEF on the Sulstice business Park, near your work.

Char
06-03-2011, 06:41 PM
You could always look at using a different mounting point … maybe something like this might suffice ????

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu44/MrFreeMarket/sidestand.jpg

:chuckle:

Was wondering where to mount my walking stick ,,,,