PDA

View Full Version : thermals?

cosmicknome
05-03-2011, 08:56 AM
I've been trying to get back out on the bike recently but it's just a tad to cold up here in the north.
So today i'am going out to buy my self some thermals, i think i saw in MCN LIDL were selling some so of there i will go.
Hope to see some more monsters out this weekend.

benson
05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Merino is the thermal of choice from me - Halvarssens. Look on line but enjoy the outing to LIDL!

Nickj
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
For the price the stuff is usually good

Gilps
05-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I've got quite a few different makes, from M&S, Tescos, ASDA. They all seem to perform as well as each other, and I've tested them all down to -25C, so I would recommend any of them. It's all about layers if you want to keep warm.

Mr Cake
05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Windstopper by Gore. Not tested them down to the temperatures of Sir Ranulph Gilpin but they work well.

C

Mr.Number
05-03-2011, 01:57 PM
+1 on the merino wool. Fantastic stuff.

utopia
05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I use the merino ones too (EDZ). They seem pretty good on the bike, though I suspect that cheaper ones wouldn't be far behind.
Where they do score highly though is when you get off the bike and things warm up again...the merino seems to breathe really well and avoid overheating. I walked around the nec show for hours in mine, without a problem.
Windproofing is the first line of attack though, I reckon.
And I fully agree...its all about layers.....preferably in natural fibres imo.

gremlin
05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I've got the Lidl ones, and I've just about lived in the top this winter. It's been washed and washed, dries really quickly, and in summer it's supposed to keep you cool. The legging are good too, they don't sag around the crotch as some do and fit under jeans pretty well. I've had the top, a cashmire jumper, body warmer and my Weiss big bike jacket on most of the time and have been pretty warm when outside and I'm one of those that can't bear being cold as I seize up. Damart used to be the ones to have, don't know if they are still around but I had some when I was younger and they were good.

Scotty
06-03-2011, 08:33 AM
i would rate the lidl one's over merino wool , though that might just be the thin merino i have

Qba
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
icebreaker - bit pricey but well worth the money.

cosmicknome
06-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Cheers thanks chaps,i thought we had a lidl in my my little town but no so i when over to race leathers in darwen. I picked up the merino wool, tryed them out to day what a big inprovement no more cold knees and variuos other parts.