PDA

View Full Version : ebook reader / Kindle, what to buy ???

Panther
04-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have experience with ebooks reads and can they recommend them/one?

As I do a fair amount of traveling having an e-reader seems a good idea for saving space.

After looking though the different devices I was initially thinking about sony prs-350.

But buying books for the Kindle seems cheaper via amazon. Or stick to good old paper?

Thanks

P.

J.P
04-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Get a Kindle, don't buy anything else.
And buy the 3G one.

Brilliant device, light, compact, perfect for reading in any light and easy on the eyes because it used electronic ink and not a backlit screen.

You can even use it as a very basic web device if you really need to.

Panther
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
J.P does the 3G just allow you online for buying books over amazon? or browsing the web too?

as the 3G is £42 more.

p.s definitely going to get a kindle now, but which one :)

J.P
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
The 3G one means that you can connect to the Kindle Store, but also surf the web, at any time, anywhere in the world. No fees, no charges.
You do get a kindle specific e-mail address that you can also use, but there is actually a usage limit for data transfer which kicks in at some point. Have a look at the Amazon site for details on that.
Comes with a dictionary preloaded, Inglish and Imerican...

I would suggest some sort of cover/carrier for it just simply to protect the screen from scratiching.
The early ones were about £29.99 and they clicked onto the Kindle itself, but there are others available now.

Panther
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
I was just about to ask about getting a cover... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, that's a big help.

giler
04-03-2011, 12:08 PM
As someone who works in the print industry - THEY ARE THE WORK OF DEVIL!

gremlin
04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
As someone who works in the print industry - THEY ARE THE WORK OF DEVIL!

I'm with you on that one! I'm sure they are great for frequent travellers for their space saving but you can't beat the feel and smell of a book. I'm issued with blinkers when near any book shop, I'm terrible. My house would go up in smoke so quickly with all the books I've got stashed but I love them. I have reference books on all sorts of subjects, loads of cookery books, old encyclopedias from the 1800s then my general reading with all sorts of authors, Desmond Bagley, through Jean Plaidy to Wilbur Smith a very eclectic mix! I'm reading the Bernard Cornwall Alfred quintet at the mo with Chocolat as a side order! Clive despairs of me I'm sure and has suggested the odd cull but some are like old friends and I go back to them occasionally, I doubt very much you'd get that with a Kindle, I don't know how many books you could store on it before it has a hissy fit and if it does have said hissy fit you'd lose all your wonderful word friends.

J.P
04-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Amazon stores all the books you purchase, so you can download them as and when you like, but you can store a good number on the 4GB of internal memory the Kindle has.

The other thing Panther, you can use upto 3 GB of the memory of MP3 files, so you can read while listening to your best Chopin or Handel through the earphone jack.

Funkatronic
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
i have a kindle also

the amazon non lighted cover does odd things, mine causes the bastard thing to reboot all the time unless i take it out!! go figure, apparently amazon are replacing the covers that cause this

apart from that i love it, especially as im easily bored and like to have 3 or 4 books on the go at any given time, it always remembers your page

i wouldnt bother with the 3g version unless your going to be away from a wifi connection for ages
i have about 10 years worth of books loaded onto mine already so 3g seems pointless

He11cat
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Ex litho printer myself.. So hmmm

but I can relate to it if you travel.

Reasons I do not have a kindle..
I like the feel and the smell of a book.
I sometimes read in bed and fall asleep the book then falls on my face and smacks me in the nose ! A kindle is hard it would hurt more then a paperback!

Sometimes spiders or mozzies get in my bed room I can wack them with an old magazine or a battered paperback that I'm not fussed about.

Throwing a kindle across the room could get pricey!

A lot of my men friends are now muttering that their wifes love the kindle more then them!

The adverts suck!
I like bookshops :)

I am not getting a kindle ..

Nickj
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
I can see your point there Giler..

I'd go Kindle, we have one and it works well

Panther
06-04-2011, 12:31 PM
I've got to say it's a great little device, and am really happy with it. (I just need to finish the pile of books my friend gave me :) )

With the 3g I was even able to check the weather when I was on holiday in Malta. :thumbsup:

J.P
06-04-2011, 01:06 PM
See I told you.

And load it with some MP3 files and it's a pretty good portable music device too. :)

giler
06-04-2011, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=Panther;380904But buying books for the Kindle seems cheaper via amazon. Or stick to good old paper?

Thanks

P.[/QUOTE]

As someone in the printing trade who has at least 17 years to go before I retire - STICK TO PAPER.#

J.P
06-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Look what Apple did to CD sales in a 10 year period.

Char
06-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Very happy with my Sony Reader - lots of free stuff out there if you know where to look !