PDA

View Full Version : A how to guide to fitting termi's??

monstark600
03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone

In the few coming weeks I will be collecting a great pair of high level termi's from fellow monsterer from his 620 on to my m600. I was just wondering if any body has some experience fitting these pipes and any problems that might crop up? Or is it just a case of whip off my old pipes and link up new pipes?

Cheers Chaps

Darkness
03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I've got some hi-level Termis on my m900.

That required that:

I space out the footrest hanger to allow the link pipe to fit behind: spacers were provided with the exhaust kit, but didn't come with 2nd hand!

The original rectangular indicators clashed with the cans, so I swapped to a later tea tray

The gap between the cans is too narrow for a full size plate unless you've got something like v1iii !

The release lever on the early seat lock clashed with the o/s ally silencer mount.

Apart from that, straight on, looked great & sounds luverly!!

utopia
03-03-2011, 01:23 PM
You may run into some issues with clearance between the inside of the footpeg carriers and the hi-level link pipes. I did when I fitted mine.
The pipes should have come with eight aluminium spacers like extra thick large washers, to put behind the footpeg carriers so they stand a little further away from the frame. If memory serves, these come in two slightly different thicknesses, four of each kind, and you can juggle their various positions to tweek the footpeg carriers this way or that, until the clearance is ok both sides. This can get a bit fiddly.
In any case, you should make sure that you get these spacers with the new pipes....it would be easy to forget and leave them on the other bike.
You might consider rejetting to suit the new pipes, but I found that my 750 ran fine on the original carb settings, but then I've left the airbox and filter as std on mine. In fact, I found that it ran a bit better with the new pipes, particularly at low revs, making it more tractable and easier to use around town etc. This may have something to do with the increased exhaust length due to the addition of the hi-level link pipes.

utopia
03-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Further to Darkness's post....I have the curvy teatray and rounded indicators, and had no issues. Also, I shaved a cm or so from the borders of my std no.plate, and it fitted fine then, and doesn't look illegal at a glance.

monstark600
03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Thats great. Ive just checked and they come with everything, including all of the spacers that came with the pipes originally. And I have the later monster with the rounded indicators so hopefully that shouldnt be a problem.

Only concern is the no. plate but maybe a bit bodging will see it good. Thanks for the info. Cant wait to get them hooked up.

Gordon H
03-03-2011, 05:57 PM
sounds luverly!!

Surprised you can remember that far back!! :D

Darkness
03-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Surprised you can remember that far back!! :D

Funnily enough Malcolm I can still remember yesterday fairly well: it's names I have trouble with ...........

Gordon H
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Funnily enough Malcolm I can still remember yesterday fairly well: it's names I have trouble with ...........

Breakfast meet on the 13th - on two wheels perchance? Always room for another aircooled among the kettle straddlers........

Darkness
03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Breakfast meet on the 13th - on two wheels perchance? Always room for another aircooled among the kettle straddlers........

Apologies to Monstark600 for the hijack, but the Hampsters are like this: it could be worse with the Wilties though.

You never know Malcolm....It depends how MotoRapido get on with fixing yesterday's little problem?

Anyway, there's nothing actually wrong with kettles, it's just that an espresso machine is more effective!

utopia
03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Kettle Straddlers though.....I had to chuckle.

Gordon H
03-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Quite right too - apols for the hijack..........

monstark600
03-03-2011, 08:10 PM
haha no probs.....wouldn be the first time :D

Gordon H
03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
and watch out for the dreaded "wheelbarrow " effect..........

fwiw - I just fitted a new set of cans on mine (low level and not Termi's) and the 900 is running sweet without any fueling adjustments.......