PDA

View Full Version : Reg/Rectifier replacement

Ady00
28-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Been on the Electrex website and its the RR51 that is the replacement for all monsters however from there info im not totally convinced, been onto them and hopefully will hear soon however has anyone had one of these replacements for an early (1993) M900 and if so did you have to modifiy the wires?

Thanks....Ady

gary tompkins
28-02-2011, 12:30 PM
If you have workshop manual or owners handbook to hand, check wiring loom connections for your 900 or look at the existing R/R unit on the bike. Picture of Electrex RR51 unit shows what looks to be 5 wires (Red, Green, White and 2 x Yellow) so if your wiring matches that it should be the right unit. Failing that wait for Electrex to confirm it is the correct unit.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr51-regulator-rectifier-737-0.html

animaluk
28-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I had one from electrixworld total crap lasted 3 months

Stafford
28-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm going down the shindengen rectifier route for my next one, but more info here (http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/69362-great-ongoing-aftermarket-regulator-rectifier-debate-answered.html) worth a read.

utopia
28-02-2011, 03:52 PM
There are two types of alternator.
Pre '98 models had single phase alternator, with two yellow wires to reg/rec unit, plus various output/earth wires.
Later models had three phase alternator with three yellow wires....different reg/rec unit.

Fitted an electrex to my (2000) bike a while ago...no probs yet, but its early days.
I did notice a couple of things....
1) electrex unit has an extra cooling fin compared to my original one.....improved cooling ? ...can't be a bad thing.
2) Original Ducati unit was painted, but electrex one was bare ally and corroded in double-quick time. I'd recommend a quick spray of paint before you fit it...I used halfords high temp paint, though thats probably overkill, I don't imagine they get THAT hot.

The connector blocks are a bit exposed in their original position. Its worth using some silicone grease etc when you refit it, as these connectors are a known weak point. I extended the reg/rec wires and relocated the connector blocks behind the battery, next to the coils and ign units, where they seem to stay nice and dry.