PDA

View Full Version : Advise on ducati models please.

desmo
27-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I have been looking for ages for a Ducati Monster project bike.
Trouble is all the ones I have seen are hundreds of miles away or silly money or just tat.
But, I have seen quite a few ST2 & SS models for reasonable money.

My question is, how different is an ST2 or an SS model to the Monster?
I can see obvious differences like, tank - saddle - bars - side panels - exhausts - fairings - headlamp.
But, is it possible to discard these items & bolt on Monster parts in place of them?

I am looking for a complete bike that I can strip right back to the frame & gradually rebuilt to a good standard that ends as a slightly blinged up Monster.

Thanks for any info.

Nickj
27-02-2011, 11:55 AM
One difference is that the ST2's were used the film blade II, monsters weren't shame that as in name they were much more approriate.
ST2's have fairings, different clock sets, the battery is side mounted not under the tank, set and tail unit are different. But I guess the same basic trellis frame is used.
SS's again got the acrerage of fairings different seat tail units, all have a rev counter (?) some have slightly different heads (? the 750's have the big valve 900 head?).
You can do anything with anything, you could take a ford anglia and turn it into a mustang, it depends how much work and parts you toss at it.
Personally I'd leave an SS or an ST as what they are Desmo, get a monster to start with and you instantly don't need to source tank seat and tail. Going to get something from a distance isn't a huge hassle, you've already saved the hire just from the replacement fuel tank!!

desmo
27-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Mmm, thanks for that.
Thing is though, if I bought a knocked about Monster I may have to change the tank, panels ect because of damage anyway, so if I bought an ST2 or SS I wouldn't Necessarily be any worse off.

Really only just asking the question if the basic mechanics are the same or similar & if it is a Feasible thing to contemplate doing as I reckon I can pick up a ST2 or SS for resonable money.

Dookbob
27-02-2011, 01:56 PM
If you source a monster or an SS you get a choice of three engine sizes :- 600, 750, or 900. The ST2 only comes with a 900, in fact they are slightly over 900, but the ST2 is a more serious type of bike, basically a touring machine.
So if you go for a monster you get a sit up style, with the SS you get clip ons and head down ass up riding position. That should narrow it down a bit for you. I have had 9 Ducatis and 2 MV`s and I still keep going back to an M600.

Zimbo
27-02-2011, 03:47 PM
The ST2 was 944cc and had watercooled heads, frame is similar to the later, fuel injected monsters.
The carby SS models were mechanically almost identical (SS engines had a mechanical tacho drive) but the frame is specific to the SS and very different to the monster.

popelli
27-02-2011, 05:53 PM
the SS is a damn good bike in its own right

mechanically the carbed and injected SS are very similar to monsters but the frame and cosmetics are completely different

depending upon what you want to do they may be a good basis for a project but to convert one into a monster is not economically feasible