PDA

View Full Version : 696 Mods nearly complete

BigOz
24-02-2011, 11:57 AM
I've had my 696 for two years now and started to think about upgrading to a 796 or 1100 before Christmas but decided that I'm quite attached to my 696 since it is my first bike. It has enough performance for the roads I ride but there are a few things that annoy me and I thought if I can "fix" these problems there would be no need to upgrade.

As I am just over 6ft tall the 696 felt too small, when I first got the bike the low seat height was actually good at low speed because I could firmly plant both feet when required. The 1100 I tried for size felt so much better even though it is only 35mm taller and during the last summer I found I was starting to occasionally ground the 696 pegs and side stand in corners, hanging off helped stop this but I took this as another sign the bike was too low.
The front suspension has always seemed a little compromised with it being non-adjustable and with only one leg being fitted with a damping cartridge. This I should confess this is an unsupported concern as I've little idea about suspension adjustment and no evidence that the ride is compromised by the dissimilar fork internals.

I started looking into possible options and thanks to a lot of work and great posts on various forums by amongst others Pjfa, Raux and DoWorkSon I decided on a solution. Drawing mainly on the modifications Raux did during his rebuild I decided to fit the top shock mount from a Monster 1100 and the forks from a 1098 which would allow me to make the 696 as tall as a Monster 1100 and would leave me with much better quality adjustable front forks.

Fitting the shock mount is easy but the forks take some further changes to make them work.

The first problem is the diameter of the 1098 forks at the yokes is 53mm top and bottom, the monster forks are 54mm at the bottom yoke and 50mm at the top yoke, it turns out these are normal dimensions for many Japanese bikes which I looked into but using these would involve changing the brake callipers too as the spacing of the radial calliper bolts is normally 108mm on Japanese bikes and 100mm on Italian bikes. The other option is to shim the lower Yoke and either machine the existing top yoke or replace it.

The second problem is the diameter of the larger unthreaded end of the axle that goes through the right hand fork is larger on the 1098 axle so the Monster axle would need a shim to fit the forks but Raux found that using the 1098 axle with one of the 1098 spacers, the one that is normally on the right of the 1098 wheel and the Monster spacer from the left of the wheel works perfectly.

The third problem is the positioning of the brake callipers is different on the 1098 forks the callipers are held 5mm further from the centerline of the wheel. The solution most who have upgraded their forks use are spacers between the 696 rotors and the wheel, but the existing brake setup is hubcentric, the brake disk is held concentric with the wheel by a lip on the wheel hub the spacer would unless carefully machined with a corresponding recess and lip mean the rotors are aligned by the bolts only which would not be good. Raux found that Braking make a six bolt 15mm offset brake disk that fit quite nicely with no need for spacers.

BigOz
24-02-2011, 11:57 AM
After thinking the changes over for a while I managed to pick up some 1098 forks from e-bay and soon after I found a 1098 axle with the spacers on e-bay too. I sourced the brake rotors from HPS who managed to work out which ones I needed as I didn't have a part number to work from and finally after much thought I ended up choosing to use a completely new set of billet yokes from CNC Racing. I got them through CNC Racing in Belgium who put up with my many questions and then kindly arranged for the factory in Italy to machine a spacer for the bottom yokes and machine the top yoke to fit the 53mm forks. I also swapped the handlebars for a set of Ducati Streetfighter bars which I got along with new head bearings and other Ducati odds and ends from Moto Rapido who I have to say are great for spare parts.

The bike was assembled in January and I had a few issues to solve with some minor issues still outstanding like the longer SSR side stand that still needs a little modification to fit.

I then took it to MCT suspension to get the suspension sorted as the 696 is lighter than the 1098 so the stock springs were a little stiff.

I've taken it for a couple of rides since and it seems like it was all worth it, even though the roads have been wet, greasy and in places caked in old grit especially if you wander out of the tracks the cars have cleared the bike feels planted and stable and smooths out the poor surface much better than it did before.

I haven't managed to take any good quality pictures yet as the only camera I have is on my mobile and it's not very good.

http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0047sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0048sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0049sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0050sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0056sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0063sml.JPG
http://bender.bigoz.net/IMG_0064sml.JPG

J.P
24-02-2011, 02:20 PM
How tall are you Big Oz ?

Dukedesmo
24-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Looking good. :thumbsup:

BigOz
24-02-2011, 03:57 PM
How tall are you Big Oz ?

Around 6' 1"

gary tompkins
24-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Mods look great Oz - nice write up too

BigOz
25-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Looking good. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

It was seeing rebuilds like your M900 project that made me decide to tackle it myself.

BigOz
25-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Mods look great Oz - nice write up too

I'm no writer or photographer but I've enjoyed seeing all the other projects posted on here I thought it would be lazy of me not to post anything.

Andy

gary tompkins
25-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Ukmoc is all about sharing information, experiences and everything else that is monster

It's what makes it such a great club :mand:

Shuffy
25-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Very nice work Andy, well thought out and executed by the look of things.

Albie
26-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I must say after sitting on it the other day it felt the same as mine for comfort. Thanks to you Andy I have a set of slightly lowered streetfighter bars coming my way soon. Actually glad they are black too. They also make so much differance comfort wise.
Im glad your happy with the performance of the little motor. Sadly its a shame to upgrade to more power because of the components you want on a bike but not necessarily power increase.
Well done mate.

BigOz
27-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I must say after sitting on it the other day it felt the same as mine for comfort. Thanks to you Andy I have a set of slightly lowered streetfighter bars coming my way soon. Actually glad they are black too. They also make so much differance comfort wise.
Im glad your happy with the performance of the little motor. Sadly its a shame to upgrade to more power because of the components you want on a bike but not necessarily power increase.
Well done mate.

Hi,
I hope the bars work out OK.

After an interupted night geting up to watch the superbike racing I got up late and went out for a ride as the sun as out and the roads were dry enough for a better test.

The changes were well worth it, loads more ground clearance, there was no chance anything was going to touch down, the brakes are very serious, almost too much, I'll have to be careful with them and the suspension does seem better, I did bump cross a couple of sunken covers/seams in the road and it all feels a lot more controlled.

I got a new waterproof jacket so it will probably get warmer and dry very soon now.

Andy