PDA

View Full Version : 1998 600 Monster Firing On One Cylinder

FrankensteinMPD
22-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello all, ive got a 1998 600 monster and im having a bit of a running problem with it. Every now and then it keeps dropping a cylinder (only firing on one) for some reason, more so when its cold but even after the engine is warmed up it still does it from time to time. So far ive changed the plugs, then the caps, then the ht leads and the last thing ive done is fitted new HT coils. Ive checked the spark and it is a good clean spark with no issue there. I was just wondering whether anyone has had a similar problem or knows of any common cause for why this happening. I have read somewhere that the HT coils are common for going down on the 600`s so as ive said previously ive replaced both of those but its still keeps doing it. Any ideas?? advice or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys.

He11cat
22-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Crank pick ups? Mine went down to an M300 and that was the problem.
Had to replace them.
Funny it's intimitant could be them on the way out..

analogue_rogue
22-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I didn't think the 98 ones had crank pic ups*

He11cat
22-02-2011, 08:14 PM
My 99 has.. Cost enough to buy new ones!!!

He11cat
22-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Just going back through the issue with my M600 .
Reading through it .. Il relay it back .
Inductive pick up .. Crank pick up.
Fits next to fly wheel and is wired to CDI sends signal back to CDI unit.
Picks up the position of the fly wheel / crank shaft and sends signal back to cdi.

I should have an old one if you need picture..
Other term inductive pick up.
Just relaying back what was wrong with my 99 and the parts I ordered.
I'm a divvy when it comes to bits like that!

But I've just read back through and my bike was going down onto 1 cylinder and was a total pig to ride..

Just thought it may be of help.

analogue_rogue
22-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I just double checked.... well done I hadn't even noticed it had them. Oops

He11cat
22-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Not me can't take credit :) but that's what mine was doing .. Ht coils are fine on mine!
But it stuck in my mind as did the ride home on a bike wanting to be an m300!!

tomscotland
22-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi there - mine is the same bike and for a while it did what you seem to be describing. If your bike is doing the same as mine it wasn't the coil. When the bike was misbehaving and running on one cylinder I checked the connectors into the small ignition box at the top of each coil. As I pushed one of these in and wiggled it about a bit the cylinder which had dropped would then run again. So with mine it wasn't the coil but one of the little spade connectors going onto the ignition box above the coil, just old I suppose. I replaced this faulty spade connector which cost me 90 pence from a company on Ebay called Towzatronics. It's fine now. Hope this helps ?
Tom

analogue_rogue
23-02-2011, 09:53 AM
halfords do those spade connectors.... if you get a trde card they are really cheap to.. or maplins if you have one near by?