PDA

View Full Version : What would you Do????

jerry
17-02-2011, 06:04 AM
My friend in Thailand has a Benelli Tre1130 from 2004 its wiring loom is burned out and i have been trying to help him fix it for 2 years . Everytime i am in UK i have ordered the new loom from Benelli Main importer , so far have spent £509 and had 4 looms from them all wrong , none fit or even come near to fitting ,the connector all seem very different . The benelli factory now says they cannot supply parts for that years model and later years parts will have to be modified to fit , i have concluded that they are full of poo and that the only solution may be to order up connectors from somewhere and make a new loom which is extremly complex compared to any Ducati looms

The bike is worth £20,000 in Thailand but is useless at present and I have no faith in Benelli factory although the importers are decent guys and i will try and get a refund for my mate

what would you do????i am very pissed off with this situation , and the problem of sourscing connectors seems daunting too as there are 46 of them and 12 different types

Rally
17-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Jerry, There are plenty of people who could make one up and advertise in magazines like Classic Motorcycle Mechanic. If they could have the old one as a pattern, it would be pretty straight forward? Good luck.

NattyBoy
17-02-2011, 07:06 AM
The old wiring loom trick eh ? I remember test riding a 2 month old tre at three cross. Pulled up at some lights and I smelt burning - looked down and the loom was melting ! A few had this problem.

Cracking bike to ride though. Good luck Jerry.

mintyhit
17-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Make a loom for it!

It really isn't that difficult, just time consuming. I had to make one up for my old track car as I was using a 3rd party ECU – and I am far from an expert.

Check this website out for all the parts you could ever need:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu

... and specifically - the weatherproof connecter set half way down this page:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Recognise them? They are the same connectors Ducati use. :)

Just take your time and make sure you use the correct wire, crimping tools and solder every connection.

Pomp1
17-02-2011, 09:08 AM
You mean a Tornado i take? I could make few enquires if that helps..

Dookbob
17-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Isn,t there a Benelli owners club where someone might have had to solve the same problem at some time.

Capo
17-02-2011, 09:29 AM
I recollect there is someone who makes looms either from samples or drawings

jerry
17-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Isn,t there a Benelli owners club where someone might have had to solve the same problem at some time.

I have been on all the benelli forums and sites , not much help the problem is not the dealers, it the damn factory ,they are clueless I have spoken to Italy direct but all I get is bull**** ,they claim the 2006 loom will fit , with an addition of 2 diodes ..but as most connectors are different thats untrue
why cant the factory supply a 2004 year loom ???

as for copying the old loom its toast an idiot thai mechanic in a car shop tried to fit an alarm and the thing caught fire he also cut half the loom away so some is actually missing.

jerry
17-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Make a loom for it!

It really isn't that difficult, just time consuming. I had to make one up for my old track car as I was using a 3rd party ECU – and I am far from an expert.

Check this website out for all the parts you could ever need:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu

... and specifically - the weatherproof connecter set half way down this page:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Recognise them? They are the same connectors Ducati use. :)

Just take your time and make sure you use the correct wire, crimping tools and solder every connection.

a few of the connector are the same but iw ould still need injectors ,ecu and some other special multipin connectors

Davidco
17-02-2011, 12:43 PM
There's one on e-bay at the moment altho' it's off a 2005 bike - will that fit?

mintyhit
17-02-2011, 12:52 PM
a few of the connector are the same but iw ould still need injectors ,ecu and some other special multipin connectors

Is it not possible to force the old connectors apart and reuse them by putting new pins\wires in from the back?

On most connectors I have seen they lock in with a little tag of metal, if you get a tiny flat headed screwdriver you can push the tab in and pull the pin out and replace it with a new one.

… Although as you say, the ECU one will be a total pain if it is completely sealed.

jerry
17-02-2011, 02:08 PM
There's one on e-bay at the moment altho' it's off a 2005 bike - will that fit?

dont know i will have a look

jerry
17-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Is it not possible to force the old connectors apart and reuse them by putting new pins\wires in from the back?

On most connectors I have seen they lock in with a little tag of metal, if you get a tiny flat headed screwdriver you can push the tab in and pull the pin out and replace it with a new one.

… Although as you say, the ECU one will be a total pain if it is completely sealed.

yes some may be salvagable but some are melted

jerry
17-02-2011, 02:32 PM
dont know i will have a look

It might be same but i will have to go to chelmsford in march and have a look to be certain also i have to make MotoGB the importer give me a refund on the 4th wrong loom they supplied .

jerry
18-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Well Benelli UK and the factory have told me there will be NO REFUND for the wrong looms they have supplied and that they CANNOT supply the CORRECT LOOM so i reckon legal action will now be required to gey £500 back or correct loom .
should i contact trading standards ?????
I have also been banned from the Benelli Forums for asking for advice and help on this issue !!!!!!!!!

my advice is Dont Buy a Benelli !!!!!!!!