PDA

View Full Version : S2r 800 revcounter problem

jerry
16-02-2011, 09:24 AM
A Thai guy brought me his S2r 800 with an intermittant rev counter when igntion comes on the dials somtimes move and then jam at 5000 rpm , other time it does not move at all but the bike is running perfectly ...
any ideas how i can help him as the main dealer is hopeless and 150 miles away.

also what do i need to check the TPS on this S2r800 model on my S4 and other local 996 and 916 model its all done with multimeter but the later models im not sure .....there are a lot here in pattaya now with no local service point ..I can take care of older models efi and carbies ,etc but the newer models have no support .

Gilps
16-02-2011, 01:38 PM
it sounds like the tacho is knackered.

I know when Rich at Louigi Moto set my TPS he used a multimeter. I seem to recall a figure of 150 at closed throttle. Does that make sense?

jerry
16-02-2011, 06:56 PM
it sounds like the tacho is knackered.

I know when Rich at Louigi Moto set my TPS he used a multimeter. I seem to recall a figure of 150 at closed throttle. Does that make sense?

yes thats how i do TPS on earlier models

Nickj
16-02-2011, 08:36 PM
The stepper motor is shot, you could try opening the clocks and getting some contact cleaner into the little motor. Only use a dray type though not an oily residue WD type.
It's unlikely to work though.
Otherwise see if you can find somewhere over that end of the world that fixes car dashes, anyone doing Italian cars should have something that'll fit and work.

jerry
17-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I have CRC industrial dry contact cleaner and an air duster .May be able to source a stepper motor online if required.

The bike is under 3 month used warranty but in Thailand thats worth nothing .

gary tompkins
17-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe try sourcing a second hand tacho via ebay etc..