PDA

View Full Version : Monster Insurance Bargain.

Banus
16-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Just reinsured my 696 for with Ducati Insurance for £95 - fully comp with all the usual benefits. Initially the quote as £125 but they had added the legal claims assistance which I promptly knocked off.
In this day and age, paying £1.82 p/w week to insure a 2009 Ducati is a bit of a rare bargain.
Just thought I'd pass this on.

buzzbomb
16-02-2011, 08:48 AM
#1 for Ducati Insurance..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nick really is the "MAN"..:hail:

pegboy
16-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I have gone from street parking in a not so good area to a private road behind electric gates in a brick shed attached to the house that you can not open from the outside and they quoted me for my m600 98 and S2R 1000 06 £1120ish. Full comp. Think I have o speak to them again.

J.P
16-02-2011, 09:56 AM
London Pegboy, London, it gets us all.....

sadbiker
16-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Would suggest you keep the legal claims assistance. It can get scary when the unfortunate does happen and you start to see the cost of legal advice.

Just 1 hour paid advice will cost 4 times what you think you are saving.

bialbero
16-02-2011, 12:25 PM
if you buy cheap, you get cheap. as simple as that

cairojay
16-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm with Equity RedStar - £170 Fully comp parking on street in Bristol, they've been brilliant and no issues with aftermarket cans - they just said in the event of a claim the bike would be restored to its original state.

utopia
17-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I'd second the value of the legal protection scheme. Takes a lot of the hassle out of making a claim.

I've been with Devitt since I returned to biking a few years ago. Can't remember what I'm paying, but its not excessive, for the monster and a '96 Dominator.
Had an interesting experience when I just had the Dommie, and had a kamikaze car pull out at point-blank range.
The bike looked a mess and they agreed to call it a cat D writeoff, and gave me £1400 (I'd only paid £1650 a year or so earlier) and I kept the bike. No mention was made of the aftermarket cans.
On close inspection I realised that it wasn't as bad as I'd thought, and after straightening the forks in the yokes, fitting a new set of bars that I had hanging around anyway, and applying a little gaffar-tape to the damaged bodywork, I just spent a couple of quid on a can of butane for the blowlamp, to heat and straighten the front brake lever. That was all it cost. I'm still riding it today. It ended up being virtually a free bike.
On top of that, I received a £4k payout for riding gear and compensation for my injured knee. The helmet was old and overdue for replacement anyway, and the jacket was only slightly damaged...I'm still using it. They did have to cut the right leg off my levis, mind you, but they were bought cheap off the market anyway. The damage to my right knee was a bit of a pain, but after 18months full movement was eventually restored, and the scar is minimal. I used the £4k to buy the monster.
So, overlooking a little pain and discomfort, I ended up with two completely free motorcycles.
Now that IS a result.
And probably all thanks to the legal protection scheme which chased the case on my behalf.

J.P
17-02-2011, 02:14 PM
And Hence Utopia, why insurance is expensive.

samieb
17-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Ducati Insurance have helped me out, so they have 1st refusal. Carole Nash (thieving scumbags) wanted to charge £1800 1 year for 2 bikes and Ducati Insurance charged me £540 . CN excuse was they no longer used Equity RedStar insurance (don't know why, probably 1 of the big bike insurers I think). No Brainer really DI now have the business for the forseeable future.

Banus
17-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Would suggest you keep the legal claims assistance. It can get scary when the unfortunate does happen and you start to see the cost of legal advice.

Just 1 hour paid advice will cost 4 times what you think you are saving.

if you buy cheap, you get cheap. as simple as that

I'd second the value of the legal protection scheme. Takes a lot of the hassle out of making a claim.

Sorry guys - Forgot to mention that I have Legal Aassistance Cover as a perk as part of my employment - otherwise I would go for it.

Bialbero - yes I agree that you get what you pay for - cheap restaurant, rubbish food etc etc. With regards to "buying cheap" - It not cheap - just a good deal and relative to the risk that I pose to my insurers which is down to my age / non claims ever / annual mileage / post code / bike locked in alarmed locked garage / not used for cummuting etc etc.......so I reckon its not cheap but about right.

the_adam
17-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Banus,

Would it be rude to ask how old you are? I'm on a 695 and the cheapest I could get was somewhere in the region of £800 last year. Admittedly, I'm 25 and it's been my first proper bike though (I had a suitably interesting 125 for about 3 years before that). Insurance is coming round again soon and here's no way I can afford that this year...might have to give Ducati a call :mand:

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much your age makes a difference to the insurers? Curious because I pay it very close to my birthday, I'm wondering if I could save a bit by stopping riding, just for a week or so until I turn 26...

utopia
17-02-2011, 09:58 PM
And Hence Utopia, why insurance is expensive.

Sorry, guys.
I didn't mean to be one of those responsible for raising the cost of insurance....I just went with the flow, and it worked out ok in the end, in this case. Then again, my thigh looked like raw steak after the accident (though strangely, I felt nothing much... was quite a shock when someone pointed it out and I had a look), and for over a year I thought I'd never get proper movement back in my knee, so I don't think the payout was excessive. And it was their assessment that the Dommie was a write-off...it looked like at least bent forks, maybe frame too. And nearly all the bodywork was scrap...I just got creative with the repairs and put up with the cosmetic damage.
Also, I was the completely innocent victim of an unbelieveable act of incompetent driving.... I was so close to the junction when the car pulled out that I hit the front wing...headlight on, 25mph, looking the driver in the eye (or so I thought). It did teach me the value of regularly practicing heavy braking though....a point well worth emphasising here. I tend to ride using engine braking and a very light, often one-fingered hand on the front brake. I used to take a certain pride in almost never getting myself into a situation which demanded heavy braking in the first place....observation/anticipation/restraint, don't ya know. But I now see how that can lead to the necessary skills for an emergency getting very rusty, where they need to be instinctive, and I now purposely overbrake massively every once in a while when there's nothing about on a quiet road. Just to get some instinct back into that whole process of gently squidging the front tyre into the tarmac for an instant, before giving it the full handful. In truth, I could possibly have avoided the accident with an instantaneous stoppie, but I can't do them, or at least I've never tried.
Funnily enough, I came across the car a month or two later as I was hobbling to the bus-stop. Had a quick look to check the damage, only to discover that both sides of the car, and the bonnet, and the boot, bore the evidence of separate bodywork repair jobs. It seems that this particular lady may well have contributed quite a lot herself to the rising cost of insurance.
In general, I'm one of those who tends not to claim for stuff, eg on house insurance etc. When my new laptop was nicked from the shed in august, I didn't claim...just bought a new one, and wrote off the loss.
However, in this case I had no option but to claim, and having done so, I was glad to have some legal representation behind me.
In general though, I agree very much that the whole litigation culture is a bummer and only serves to make things worse for society as a whole.

ps no rant intended.....just got a bit chatty. ....Yes, I know....keep taking the meds.

sadbiker
18-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry guys - Forgot to mention that I have Legal Aassistance Cover as a perk as part of my employment - otherwise I would go for it.

Bialbero - yes I agree that you get what you pay for - cheap restaurant, rubbish food etc etc. With regards to "buying cheap" - It not cheap - just a good deal and relative to the risk that I pose to my insurers which is down to my age / non claims ever / annual mileage / post code / bike locked in alarmed locked garage / not used for cummuting etc etc.......so I reckon its not cheap but about right.

Just becareful, in this day and age no Job is safe, if you have to change jobs you'll loose that benifiet.

Even through I am no longer with Ducati Insurance (don't have a ducati now), I would recommend them from my dealings with them in the past.

J.P
18-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Only teasing Utopia, you did exactly as everyone else would have done , and me if it ever happens.

The other thing that's making a big difference now , especially if you own Japanese bikes, is that the currency move vs the Pound means that all replacements part prices have risen substantially, so any damage to your bike is costing the insurance company more, and we all pay for that.
I for one back proper risk assesment of the insuree vs the 'oh, you live in Lewisham, that'll be £2,000 please'....

lisyloo
18-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Just out of interest, does anyone know how much your age makes a difference to the insurers? Curious because I pay it very close to my birthday, I'm wondering if I could save a bit by stopping riding, just for a week or so until I turn 26...

A year is not going to make a massive difference.
Being 45 rathe than 18 makes a massive difference.

If you really want to know then do some quotes on a comparison site.
Do it with 26 then edit and put in 25.
Remeber to use a false email and phone number otherwise you'll get spam adn calls.

mickeymouse@aol.com
01234 567890

the_adam
18-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, I gave it a try on confused.com just to see what would happen. And the lowest price was essentially £800 again :S To be fair, only a couple of insurers came up both times with it being that far ahead though, will have to try again later. The difference in waiting that week was actually £64 for both of them, which is more than the cost of a week's bus pass...but not sure if its worth the 20 hours of public transport...

Pomp1
18-02-2011, 11:18 PM
the lowest price was essentially £800 again
They know is Jim's former bike, prone to attract bunnies jumping out in front of it..:chuckle:

bigfiretruck
18-02-2011, 11:45 PM
I pay £200 tpft with class 1 business use! i really dont see how people are paying £800+ for the same service, use http://thebikeinsurer.co.uk/ and get feel legal cover with a quote..... mightt just save your bacon if you need it :)

forgot to say, im 20 with 2 years no claims.... not 50 :)

Funkatronic
19-02-2011, 03:17 PM
+1 for Ducati Insurance/Wicked Quotes
im 34 and and i live in london and pay £160 TPFT for 2 bikes inc commuting use

they are garaged

Fully comp would have been about £500

theres a big drop off once you have had a full licence for 2yrs an a bike hike for 1000cc +