PDA

View Full Version : Panniers -help!!

Kemp1
15-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I seem to be going round in circles trying to choose some soft panniers -any help much appreciated!

I have looked at Oxford, Givvi and Buffalo but have also been looking at some Kappa panniers that look really well thought out but can't find any reviews on them -does anyone have any experience of them?

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated -I am happy to pay for decent quality. I already have a Kriega tailpack but its not enough for any more than a night really - (I am a girl after all!)

jerry
15-02-2011, 01:44 PM
have a set of Alpinstars throwovers which have performed well on long tours

J.P
15-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I owned a set of the Oxford saddle bags and they were pretty good, plenty of space. All of them can be a bit fiddly to secure with the straps, especially as you have to have them tight to keep the bags from sitting on the red hot exhausts. I's certainly recommend them.

If money is no object, buy yourself the Ventura luggage rack for your bike. Holds loads of stuff, is interchangeable with different sized bags and much easier than fitting soft panniers.

Kemp1
15-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys -I haven't seen any Alpinestars Panniers -will take a look and will revisit the Oxford ones..

H

Mr Cake
15-02-2011, 05:54 PM
The Givi soft panniers are a bit of a faff and rest on the Monsters exhausts. They also rubbed paint off both of our bikes.

C

Kemp1
15-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Mr Cake -that rules out 3 sets on my list so that really helps! (I do have low level termis though so hoping that will help with most of the panniers)

SunEye
15-02-2011, 07:29 PM
If you have a Kriega tailpack have you considered adding some more Kriega packs to it?

I'm seriously thinking about the US-20 plus two US-10 to make the US-40. That seems about the right sort of size for most of my needs. The fact that it can be 10, 20, 30 or 40 litres depending upon what I need it for seems like a good idea. The quality of their gear seems to be good as well (I have one of their rucksacks).

Mr Cake
15-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Mr Cake -that rules out 3 sets on my list so that really helps! (I do have low level termis though so hoping that will help with most of the panniers)

No problem. We actually sold them on soon after our trip. They took some of the finish off the Ti can on my R1 from resting on it, and that just won't do. One good thing about them is that Givi gave a speed rating of just 70mph but were fine at well over 140. I wouldn't do it with the rain covers on. We kept the Givi tail pack though. It's pretty good.

C

Kemp1
15-02-2011, 09:04 PM
:oIf you have a Kriega tailpack have you considered adding some more Kriega packs to it?

I'm seriously thinking about the US-20 plus two US-10 to make the US-40. That seems about the right sort of size for most of my needs. The fact that it can be 10, 20, 30 or 40 litres depending upon what I need it for seems like a good idea. The quality of their gear seems to be good as well (I have one of their rucksacks).

Yes that is still an option -if they made soft panniers I would have bought them -the US20 has been great and totally waterproof (unfortunately I've tested it on several occasions!) I was going to get the r25 but apparently those rucksacks are not so ideal for females with .. ahem ... a little extra up top if you know what I mean? :o

simon_g
16-02-2011, 06:10 AM
The Ducati ones are pretty good (with the frame to keep them in place), 11-14l a side, and have a waterproof inner that velcros shut then rolls like a drybag - works well. Only an option if you have low-level cans though. They're a bit of a faff to get on and off too (thick velcro strips go across under the seat) - given the choice I'd probably take a US-40 or Ventura for touring as they're way easier to grab the bag and go into the hotel.

Top of here: http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/acatalog/Bags_Panniers.html

gregski
16-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I use Oxford soft bags on my 620 it they are pretty good only thing is you have to distribute weight equally to prevent sliding and the it can be a bit difficult to to fit them on the bike when loaded.
hope you don't have short tail as they will not fit unless you remove indicators.
I have to convert my one for little halogens under the seat

not the best image but the only one I have

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9550/img0065m.jpg (http://img839.imageshack.us/i/img0065m.jpg/)

you are more than welcome to try them for a price of return postage

PM me if you are interested

Cheers Greg

Paivi
16-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Any bigger photos, Greg? ;)

Simon: you're not seriously suggesting 11-14 litre panniers to a woman, are you? How many of them are you expecting her to attach to her bike?

I've got the Oxford Sports ones, the old version, which are massive and expandable. They sit about an inch above my stock cans but have heatproof bottoms, so should be OK. They're also pretty crash proof...don't ask me how I know this...

Bodybag
16-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I have some brand new luggage for sale on ebay at the moment. All are Oxford Tailpacks or Tankbags. I do have some Givi soft panniers but they've already been ruled out.

Anyway, if you want to take a look then it's all here: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/pbodycote/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

There are a couple of items that aren't currently listed but they're the Oxford Starter luggage items.

WHilst it sounds like a sales pitch, I personally prefer tank bag and tailpack as panniers have a habit bouncing about and rubbing on exhausts etc.

I used some of the Ducati Monster soft panniers on a trip some years ago and they were OK, but impossible to strap down which meant they flapped about constantly and rubbed on the exhausts on my old S4.

The tank bags are good and allow you to lean on them on long journeys.

Both the tankbags and tailpacks are also expandable to ensure you can get all your womenly wares inside them. :D

Rod
16-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Used many types of luggage down the years but I have never found anything better than Ventura. Loads of room, stable as you like even at warp speed, and a doddle to fit/remove the bags.

http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/images/models/146.jpg

You can also get a neat little grab handle for when you dont need the luggage.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb72/rod3212/DSC00134.jpg
Not cheap but worth the money.

utopia
16-02-2011, 07:22 PM
I would agree with Bodybag that tankbag and tailpack is a good system, though I do know that some ladies find tankbags unsuitable, er......for the two reasons you mention.
I recently bought an Ortlieb rack-pack, from a very enthusiastic chap that I got talking to at the NEC show. He spoke most highly of them, but I haven't had chance to test mine yet.
The ventura stuff looks ok.ish to me, but the rack is a bit ugly and maybe not as strong as I'd like, and the packs are mostly huge.
There doesn't seem to be a good, neat, QD rack available for the monster, but I can reveal that there probably soon will be as I have a design, currently towards the end of the development stage, which I intend to market. It should be available sometime later this year, though I can't be more specific until I've had more chance to fully road-test the prototype. But if you're not in too much hurry.....

gregski
16-02-2011, 07:42 PM

heheheheheh I didn't realise how big it is :mand: should not happened in the future :mand:

Kemp1
16-02-2011, 08:01 PM

Simon: you're not seriously suggesting 11-14 litre panniers to a woman, are you? How many of them are you expecting her to attach to her bike?

I've got the Oxford Sports ones, the old version, which are massive and expandable. They sit about an inch above my stock cans but have heatproof bottoms, so should be OK. They're also pretty crash proof...don't ask me how I know this...

I'd love to be offended Paivi but I really can't! -Just be thankful you don't have to carry hairdryers and long boots -thats practically one pannier gone lol :chuckle:

Thanks all -I'm glad I asked now -this is really helping :thumbsup:

Paivi
16-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd love to be offended Paivi but I really can't! -Just be thankful you don't have to carry hairdryers and long boots -thats practically one pannier gone lol :chuckle:

Thanks all -I'm glad I asked now -this is really helping :thumbsup:
Dahlink, when you get to my age, you forego the hairdryer and long boots, as the pannier where you'd normally carry those will be needed for anti-wrinkle creams and tena lady products. :o

Kemp1
16-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Dahlink, when you get to my age, you forego the hairdryer and long boots, as the pannier where you'd normally carry those will be needed for anti-wrinkle creams and tena lady products. :o

Lol -sorry Ms Paivi -I should have realised from your understanding of the space required for us girlies! :o

Paivi
16-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Np, must be my misleading avatar, as I'm very flat chested there. I had my womanly wares strapped so I could ride a bike with a tank bag.... ;)