PDA

View Full Version : Who Said It Can't Be Done?

Stuart42
08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Well here it is at long last.

My 750 sporting a dry clutch, so now complete with the Ducati rattle.

Is spooky that Skank says his farewell just as its finished, as it was over a beer or several at WDW that he first put the idea into my head, cheers dude.

Cheers
Stuart

uksurfer
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
good for you Stuart, i'm glad its finished so well,

what ever next???????

Albie
08-02-2011, 08:28 PM
good for you Stuart, i'm glad its finished so well,

what ever next???????

Well done mate. Fancy doing my ss600 for me

Gordon H
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
what ever next???????

Something minor like doing away with the belts and replace them with chains........ A weekends work should see the prototype getting rolled out.........

bex
08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
what ever next???????

the 'Duct Tape Special'

MrsC_772
08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Duct tape special - is that the poor old 916 at the moment?

Dry clutch looks rather nice ...

Grumpy
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Can't wait to hear it........................don't let the noise spoil your concentration, and fall off!!lol.:mand:

Nickj
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Something minor like doing away with the belts and replace them with chains........ A weekends work should see the prototype getting rolled out.........

Why not a nice retro shaft drive, that should extend the service periods a bit

He11cat
08-02-2011, 10:25 PM
well done I am green with envy!

chris yeatman
08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
looking good stuart..................now, havent i seen some of those bits before somewhere :scratch: :scratch:

He11cat
08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Nelly lost some of her trunk... lol!!

gary tompkins
08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Stuart

What can I say

:hail::hail::hail:

Pomp1
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Another Stuart Special..well done mate, so you didn't mind too much Grumpy leaving that E750 around..

skank
09-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Well here it is at long last.

My 750 sporting a dry clutch, so now complete with the Ducati rattle.

Is spooky that Skank says his farewell just as its finished, as it was over a beer or several at WDW that he first put the idea into my head, cheers dude.

Cheers
Stuart

Hehe :) Come on give us a few more pictures!

Stuart42
09-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Another Stuart Special..well done mate, so you didn't mind too much Grumpy leaving that E750 around..

Shhhh! He might not notice.

Thanks for the comments all, and yes more pictures will follow.

Cheers
Stuat

dunlop0_1
09-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Is this a wet to dry clutch conversion similar to what I did to my 620 last year because the early 750 engines have a dry clutch anyway, just hidden behind the clutch casing? They use the same clutch casing as the wet version which incorperates the slave cylinder just no vents. Have just had the casing machined?

If it is a wet to dry I would like to know what parts you used as so far I have not come across anyone else who has done it.

Dave G
09-02-2011, 04:03 PM
That seems a lot of work for an aesthetic mod Stuart, glad your enjoying it though.
I'll look forward to the continuing saga.....:cool:

what ever next???????

Gear driven cams!

Go on, now I've mentioned them You'll be looking at those belt covers stroking your chin. :mand:

Stuart42
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Is this a wet to dry clutch conversion similar to what I did to my 620 last year because the early 750 engines have a dry clutch anyway, just hidden behind the clutch casing? They use the same clutch casing as the wet version which incorperates the slave cylinder just no vents. Have just had the casing machined?

If it is a wet to dry I would like to know what parts you used as so far I have not come across anyone else who has done it.

Hi Dunlop

sadly no wasn't just a case of machining the engine case.

I haven't found one either, apart from a guy in the US who did one but that was with the slave on the n/s like yours,so maybe I am unique?

Mine was originally a wet clutch so luckily found a donor Elefant which had a dry clutch in it. The early ones used the same engine , apart from the clutch, obviously.

Still a fair amount of machining went into getting it all to fit, blocking oilways etc. Plus the output shaft the drum sits on is too short for a dry clutch basket. So had to have some maching done to get it all sorted.

Yes Dave, a lot of work just to make it look nice, but hey it's worth it.

Tell me more about the gear driven cams.....

Cheers
Stuart

uksurfer
09-02-2011, 05:00 PM
any more closer pictures of the engine case please?

(the cut out one) :mand:

Stuart42
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
any more closer pictures of the engine case please?

(the cut out one) :mand:

I'll get some more pictures up over the next couple of days as the people who made the one that houses the cylinder painted it. So when you bleed the system and brake fluid comes out, it goes onto paint and strips it. So have had to touch it up, but is all dry now and waiting to go back on.

Cheers
Stuart

dunlop0_1
09-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Dunlop

sadly no wasn't just a case of machining the engine case.

I haven't found one either, apart from a guy in the US who did one but that was with the slave on the n/s like yours,so maybe I am unique?

Mine was originally a wet clutch so luckily found a donor Elefant which had a dry clutch in it. The early ones used the same engine , apart from the clutch, obviously.

Still a fair amount of machining went into getting it all to fit, blocking oilways etc. Plus the output shaft the drum sits on is too short for a dry clutch basket. So had to have some maching done to get it all sorted.

Yes Dave, a lot of work just to make it look nice, but hey it's worth it.

Tell me more about the gear driven cams.....

Cheers
Stuart

Sounds quite intresting that Stuart. Any picures of it in pieces?

Stuart42
09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Sounds quite intresting that Stuart. Any picures of it in pieces?

Thanks, it was interesting to do and find people that can do stuff for you. I enjoyed the research as well, amazing what you can find out.

Sadly didn't take any pictures, but I have got some pictures of my 916 in bits, but thats another thread.:cry:

Cheers
Stuart

CK & AK
10-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Nice one Stuart :) welocme to the dry clutch conversion club ;)
We 1st tried ours (with slipper) out on the M800 last July at Rockingham & then Aug at Brands & it had a couple of teething problems that weekend which meant AK had to put it aside (it was fine, just a teeny weep when running at full temp/ chat on track after a while but not good enough for us to take a chance on racing it). Sorted it for end of season tho - its just one of those things you mechanical lads have to do eh? :D

CK

Stuart42
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi all

as promised some more pictures of my new clutch

Cheers
Stuart

Gordon H
11-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Getting those feelings of inadequacy again........

Damn fine job that chap!! Have a quick nose around on Sunday perchance?

uksurfer
11-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Hi all

as promised some more pictures of my new clutch

Cheers
Stuart

yes please

skank
12-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Hehe your bike is such a strange thing now! In a good way. Like we discussed after lots of Peroni sitting in the piazza in Misano. To the casual observer it's just a nice bike but to anyone who knows their monsters the reaction is going to be 'WTF is that?!!?!?' Awesome dude, just awesome.

I remember way back when, I was discussing my 750 (1997) with that old grumpy Ducati guy in Bury, north of Manchester and he mentioned that he could convert it to a dry clutch.

Pomp1
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Stuart, I've sent your pics to Alex..he's very impressed but he also said to be careful to that petrol pipe caught inbetween the tank and frame..:mand:

Dave G
13-02-2011, 08:28 AM
For a cheaper wet clutch option you could try this approach too.

http://www.psycleworkz.com/shop/article_PW027/Bandit-_-GSXR-Window-Clutch-Cover.html?sessid=yv7tWX0DLqzL87dz2ZCSBSILvMJ5xQ4v G39VhdsGizCpowhzyFxPF0taOtr7vXx8&shop_param=cid%3D7%26aid%3DPW027%26

Funkatronic
14-02-2011, 02:54 AM
For a cheaper wet clutch option you could try this approach too.

http://www.psycleworkz.com/shop/arti...aid%3DPW027%26
lol, surely that would just be like watching an oily washing machine

Dave G
14-02-2011, 07:28 AM
lol, surely that would just be like watching an oily washing machine

Apart from the odd spot now and then you dont see the oil.
It's just been done successfully on a Sportclassic by the above company and I have seen a few il4's out on the road with windowed casings.