PDA

View Full Version : Essential travel tool kit?

cairojay
03-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Off to Assen in June with my wife to watch the MotoGP, we're gonna ride from Bristol, get the eurotunnel across then blast up to Assen, so really looking forward to that.

Its our first really big trip so I was wondering what essential tool kit I should be taking for the trip and also what other essential items? Are there any ideal tool kit packs I can buy?
(You can tell that we haven't been thinking about it much since we bought the tickets, booked the train and the campsite etc....)

Advice greatly appreciated.

Capo
03-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Two up with camping gear on a monster? :shocked:
You wont have space for any tools :D

cairojay
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
No we're cheating - Em's riding the Monster and I've hired a GS1200!

rollo22
03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
RAC card
Puncture repair kit

Scotty
03-02-2011, 07:27 PM
its all a bit of what do you expect to brake / fall off and whats a roadside fix

i might take a spare break leaver or the address of a shop where i can buy one

desmo
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Put Ultraseal in the tyres (especially the rear)
Spare bulbs
Superglue
Cable / Zip ties
Small pair pin nosed mole grips
Roll of insulation tape
The original tool kit that came with the bike
Mobile phone
Credit card
Bike breakdown insurance
Medical insurance
E111 card

utopia
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
...and a few allen keys will fit easily, even in the tiny ducati pouch.
You might get a short 10mm spanner in there too.

cairojay
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Ultraseal has saved my back tyre on many occasion!

Jim66a
04-02-2011, 04:37 AM
I always carry a spare relay under the seat. Probably the most common failure on a monster

Char
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
If you have an iphone get this app

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ducati-connection/id396996890?mt=8

blueguzzi
04-02-2011, 01:29 PM
1. a sense of humour
2. Patience

But seriously to confirm what Jim said, as my only Euro breakdown was caused by a fuel pump relay failure, take a set of relays for the Monster, Just Google the relay part numbers and you can purchase them cheap as chips.
Also to others have mentioned a brake/clutch lever... normally the same so only need to pack one.
The dutch police are a friendly bunch BUT they are cashing in on persons speeding, they have very low speed limits in town so take it easy.

If you are staying in/near Groningen as I did a few Gps ago it may be better to take the Train to Assen!! Its only one stop and they laid on shuttle buses to/from circuit to station for a few euro.
As it always rains at Assen it can be better to get to/from the circuit this way and saves having to carry all your gear and padlocks etc.

Best tip is enjoy... its a great Atmosphere at the MotoGp. Party Party!:drunk:

cairojay
04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
We are staying next to the circuit at the Seinen Campsite which looks like it has a great bar on site. Its 15 minutes walk from the track and geared up almost exclusively for bikers it seems. Thanks for the tip on relays. Not had the problem since I bought the bike but I'm guessing it would be typical if it happened!

bialbero
04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Desmo, your list is pretty good

apart from the mobile phone and the breakdown insurance that sounds pretty much what
I took to ride from Germany to and across the Atlas Mountains some 25 yaers ago on a
XT500

Ah hold on, I took some spare tires and a couple of inner tubes just to be safe

nashorn
05-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I rode M600 to Nuremberg, then on to Lake Garda and back two years ago - great trip. Pleased to report that tyres are available to purchase in Germany now ;-)