PDA

View Full Version : The next new Ducati model?

desmo
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Triumph have hade rave reviews about their new 800cc bike & I can see the appeal of it.
At just over £7000, the price is right.
Triumph seem to have a very good range of bike to choose from right now, with something for everyone (except maybe a race replica)

Ok Ducati have the Multistada, but it is a expensive high spec bike which is not to everyones taste, I think Ducati would be mad not to built a lower spec Multistada maybe fitted with the Monster 796 engine to compete with the Triumph & BMW.

This type of bike is mega popular in europe & is also gaining sales in the UK, I reckon it could be a big seller for Ducati.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Bikes/triumph-tiger-800-studio-4.jpg

J.P
02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
They certainly have been using the engines more across the product range with the Multistrada's engine coming from the 1198, the Monster 796 getting the engine from the Hypomotard etc.

dunlop0_1
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Triumph have hade rave reviews about their new 800cc bike & I can see the appeal of it.
At just over £7000, the price is right.
Triumph seem to have a very good range of bike to choose from right now, with something for everyone (except maybe a race replica)

Ok Ducati have the Multistada, but it is a expensive high spec bike which is not to everyones taste, I think Ducati would be mad not to built a lower spec Multistada maybe fitted with the Monster 796 engine to compete with the Triumph & BMW.

This type of bike is mega popular in europe & is also gaining sales in the UK, I reckon it could be a big seller for Ducati.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/desmo-s2r/Bikes/triumph-tiger-800-studio-4.jpg

I worked in a Triumph dealership for around a year. One of the the issues with the tiger was that the rear foothangers are part of the frame, still the same on the new model. After a only a minor spill I saw several bikes at best wanting a new frame or being written off.
The build quality as regards corrosion was shockingly poor. Triumph used to say and probably still do that it was "down to poor customer maintenance".
I endured several customers with corroded fixings, rims and oil cooler pipes to name but a few after as little as only two weeks old.

Engines are great though.

Fugly
02-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi Dunlop,

That's interesting as my 06 Speed Triple (26K in two years) I thought had the best quality component finish of any of my bikes.

But I did see a lot of manky looking Bonnevilles so assumed it was more about these models being built down to a price.

Strange!

samieb
02-02-2011, 03:55 PM
How about a Multistrada with an 848 engine instead of an 1198?

J.P
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
How about a Multistrada with an 848 engine instead of an 1198?

I'm sure that would be popular, but I think the Multi would have to lose some weight first.

dunlop0_1
02-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Dunlop,

That's interesting as my 06 Speed Triple (26K in two years) I thought had the best quality component finish of any of my bikes.

But I did see a lot of manky looking Bonnevilles so assumed it was more about these models being built down to a price.

Strange!

It was strange. We had an unregistered America in the showroom and the alloy wheels corroded! Street and Speed triple's suffered mainly around the shock and the alloy footpeg hangers. Rocket 3 wheels/yokes and forks. In fact most of the alloy stuff corroded quickly.
However the worst of all were the bonneville engine/clutch casings. I thinks everyone ever sold had them replaced under warranty.

The best seemed to be the Daytona 675 which is also an awesome bike to ride it pains me to say.

Dookbob
02-02-2011, 07:12 PM
I quite like some of the triumphs, but this one doesn,t do it for me. Where on earth do they think they are going with that silencer, and I see what you mean about the footrest hanger on the rear. Dont think Ducati have anything to worry about, this is one clumsy looking bike.

BluprintZ
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
When i bought my Thruxton in October 2009, 18 months old with 8k on the clock, i was very alarmed to find that the spokes on both front and rear wheels were starting to show signs of rust after being outside, under an Oxford cover.
Of course, i'm only a couple of hundred yards from the Menai straits, so there's plenty of salt air around.
I coated the spokes in LM grease all last year, cleaning it off and re-applying every couple of months, that seemed to mostly keep the rust at bay.
I fitted some new Metzelers yesterday but a few weeks ago, after i had removed the wheels and tyres, i took the wheels to a wheel-builder on Anglesey who checked them over and found that the spokes are stainless, he checked with central wheels, who he gets his spokes and rims off and who also supply Triumph with rims and spokes and they confirmed that they are stainless, although i suspect that they are probably low-grade stainless, otherwise the spokes wouldn't show surface rust like they did.

So it looks like i'm still going to have to keep coating them in grease this year as well.
The bike is brilliant to ride, although it's quite heavy compared to the Monster, the engine seems bulletproof and the handling is pretty good, although not a patch on the Monster.

I'm toying with the idea of going up to Woods in Abergele for a test ride on the Tiger, doubt if i'll buy one but i fancy having a blast, just to see if the bike is what the reviews say.

G ; )

buzzbomb
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Blimey George not another demo...:shocked:

Just go back and get yourself a hypermotard..:thumbsup:

You know you want one..;);)

BluprintZ
02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Blimey George not another demo...:shocked:

Just go back and get yourself a hypermotard..:thumbsup:

You know you want one..;);)

Been there, done that Geof mate.
Not really my kind of bike, i'm too old for one of those, i'd probably hurt meself1

G ; ) :thumbsup:.

Mr.Number
02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
Id really like Ducati to go back to basics. I think with the modern monsters, ducati have gone a bit too far to create a new age look. The 696/796, M1100 etc, whats with the headlight ? Also the back end is too high, its not necessary and it looks like they have tried too hard to give it a sportsbike look. The older models **** on the newer bikes for appearance.

I think a combo of a comfortable commuter type / cafe racer style where you sit on the bike and not in it like the current monsters. A more relaxed and realistic back end and no daft fat pipes that get bigger towards the ends. A 50mm system that sits neatly under the seat area and finishes like the current motogp bikes.

God I want it already !

All this hyper futuristic look, especially like the kwak Z1000, it will all go round full circle and come back to the original and best !! Simple lines, you cant beat it.

He11cat
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Butt ugly lights again!!!!..
I like Triumphs but thats not doing a thing for me prefer the older range of Triumphs

I just saw the new Kawasaki W800 retro......
What a Bonnie rip off its horrid!!!

scrapps
03-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I have to agree with HC and say it may be cheap and practical but it looks butt ugly :thumbsdown:
I will stick with my 03 Multistoodle its not a looker but looks better than that.

He11cat
03-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Triumph usually get it so right and suddenly the new range ... ewwww the lights on them all are so horrid!

scrapps
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
It looks unfinished :thumbsdown:

Albie
03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Not bad for £7000. If I wanted a tourer I would look at one. It may not be a BMW but its 5k cheaper than a ducati or bmw

Rally
03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
One of the the issues with the tiger was that the rear foothangers are part of the frame, still the same on the new model. After a only a minor spill I saw several bikes at best wanting a new frame or being written off.

Engines are great though.

Do I have a one off then? My Tiger 1050 has bolt on rear foot hanger brackets.......... :thumbsup:

desmo
03-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Suprised at some of the comments, I thought it looks a half decent bike for the money, I havn't seen one in the flesh yet though.

dunlop0_1
04-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Do I have a one off then? My Tiger 1050 has bolt on rear foot hanger brackets.......... :thumbsup:

I didn't say all of them. ;)