PDA

View Full Version : New Bike

leeplant
31-01-2011, 10:57 AM
So I'm looking for a bit of advice and i thought where better to go than here.....
Currently I have got a m600 as you can probably see. I want injection now and some can argue I do suffer from wanting to "keep up with the Jones's". Friend of mine is now buying a Daytona 675 after riding a 125 for a year. I think he may have more than one accident but that’s another story.

I've been riding for a couple of years now and started on the monster I currently have. I want to stay with Ducati just because basically and did wonder about a 749 but I am now starting to think I couldn’t handle riding from Croydon to Sevenoaks everyday in that position plus I have a dodgy wrist. Now thinking of another monster, which I never really stopped, such as a S2R or even a S4. Just noticed for not a lot more I can get a newer 696 but I am really not sure.

I want a bit more power but nothing that’s going to be ridiculous. Like I say just a case of me wanting to keep up with the rest, fellow riders having a triumph t509, 1200 bandit and now the Daytona. I'll be the first to say I am not a good enough rider to have anything over 100 BHP really. I understand the twin will deliver this and the torque different..
Anyways thanks for reading and just looking for ideas.

Lee

mintyhit
31-01-2011, 11:15 AM
S4’s are really good value at the moment due most people opting for the R models. You could probably pickup a nice one for 2.5k-ish with some winter negotiation.

They are very fast but not at all ridiculous. The power is very different to other bikes I have ridden, it is incredibly immediate and the delivery is really smooth right up to the limiter.

The 916 engine is a joy but you might hate it though when you get your first servicing bill.

steeevvvooo
31-01-2011, 11:25 AM
as you say, and S2R would be a good option. The 800 and 1000 are different, not just in terms of a bit of power but also the 800 has a wet clutch and so a lighter action than the dry clutch on the 1000. Might be a consideration depending which wrist you have problems with? :dunce:

Some prefer the looks of the S*R range. The 696 is a great bike by all accounts, but as you say it's more expensive, and depends which you prefer personally.

Should be able to get an S2R 800 or 1000 for reasonable money. Get a test ride and take it from there. Good luck! :thumbsup:

scrapps
31-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Also worth a look is a 900ie monster.I have a 02 plate 900ie and its now done 30k with no problems. lighter than a S2R 800 and with better brakes and no cat.

leeplant
31-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I must be honest i was going to look for a S2R 1000 but I cant see many around. I'm alight on the monster with my wrist I just think leaning or putting too much pressure will give me jip. Just got to decide with what to do with the m600 now.

Mr.Number
31-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi Lee, if youv already been nosing at the S2R1 then hang around for one to become available. Its likely that if you are patient you will feel it was worth waiting when and if you get one as they are a keeper, which is why you cant find one.........not in red/white anyway!

If you havnt done so already look at online reviews of the 992 DS engine, i think its reasonable to say that its well thought of.

J.P
31-01-2011, 12:36 PM
If you've already got a bad wrist then stay away from any of the sports bikes. A bigger Monster's a good option with the S2R 800 very popular. You could even fit bar risers to take the pressure off your wrists even more.
As for keeping up with your mates, any of the modern generation of Monsters, 695, 696, 796 will be able to do that easily.
If you were to invest money in some expert road riding tuition you'd probably find that that makes more of an impact on your riding rather than having a big engine. If that interests you I can recommend a company that covers your area. :)

leeplant
31-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Please do. The only reason i havn't done so thus far is i would't know where to go for training and i dont really want to do a track day... just yet anyway.

I have just seena S2R 1000 for sale so may go and have a look tomorrow. Currently up for 4350 so with trad in for my m600 could be dooable.

J.P
31-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sent you a PM .

mintyhit
31-01-2011, 01:31 PM
If you've already got a bad wrist then stay away from any of the sports bikes. A bigger Monster's a good option with the S2R 800 very popular. You could even fit bar risers to take the pressure off your wrists even more.

Definitely stay away from the S4 then… the low clip-on bars are savage on the wrists.

rollo22
31-01-2011, 05:27 PM
As JP says bar risers and even new bars can radically change the riding position
I am sure Buzzbomb will be able to pass on some good advice

buzzbomb
31-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Lee if you want a more upright riding position my best advise would be to get your self a pair of rizoma bars, they make two types of bars one for the small diameter and the other for what they call fat bars. I've fitted those bars to quite afew monsters and other ducati's and every one that I've done the job for have been more than satisfied, another way to lift the bars are a set of bar risers but they only lift the bars they don't bring them any closer.

Mick E
31-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Lee, my wife suffered with saw wrists on her 05 620 so i fitted risers and Renthal bars and it made a big difference for her, a lot more upright and a lot less pressure on her wrists.
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/dawnellis17/P5262679.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh318/dawnellis17/P5262680.jpg

leeplant
01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
any ideas on a good price for a S2R 1000. say on a 08 plate i think low milage etc.... just want a ball park so i dont get caught with my pants down.

Cheers

Funkatronic
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
a good low milage example with a recent belts service and good tyres £3750-3800 private sale at this time of year

if your going to a dealer id say about £4k-4100 if they chuck in a warranty and some trade in value

if it needs a belts service this is 450-500 so adjust price accordingly

that said there are always bargains about if your patient

leeplant
01-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Nice one cheers

pegboy
01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
that said there are always bargains about if your patient[/QUOTE]

Don't we know about that, twin brother!!!:D:D

Mr.Number
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I think if you found one for that price you would find it was your birthday, and christmas. I doubt you would get one under 4k and more like 4.5 upwards. Im sure pegboy has not long bought his, may be able to shed some light.

Funkatronic
03-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Don't we know about that, twin brother!!!

yes indeed mate ::woot::woot:

Mr Number, those prices are based on what i know from personal experience other bikes have sold for in the last 6 months for 06 plate low milage s2r1000

another ukmoc member recently bought a low milage mint, super tricked out, gel seat, carbon everything with full termi system, ecu airfilter etc for under £4700

also bikes dont sell so easily at this time of year which reflects in prices i quoted, come spring the prices tend to go up

for an 08 plate bike you might expect a to pay 3-400 more, and red ones do seem to command a higher price

leeplant
03-02-2011, 07:59 AM
the one i am looking at has been quoted from a dealer as 4.5k and they will do a belt service on it. i believe it also has a datatool alarm. apart from that its pretty std...

Funkatronic
03-02-2011, 10:09 AM
if its a low miles 08 bike and they will give you 3 months warranty it sounds like a fair deal for a dealership
cant hurt to try knock off £200 though ;-)

leeplant
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
less than 10k has been mentioned... Its worth a punt.... dont really want to spend 4.5, mrs wont be happy, but i am the mose impatient person i know. once i decide i want something i have to have it straight away.

leeplant
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Sooooo I ended up buying the '08 black S2R 1000..... For 4 k. Probably over the odds but I kind of really liked it. I have got to get the belts and valves done myself but getting them to do it as a dealer in London was too much money. This way I have a month or two to sort the cash out. Will be my first outing with a dry clutch too so should be fun.

Only real problem I had was my current insurance company is through a broker and the underwriters won’t insure me on the new bike for the remanding 3 weeks I have left on the policy and I need to get road tax for the thing. They offered to quote me early, broker that is, and offered me a renewal of 1100 without pillion and 1700 with though their companies! When I entered in a monster s2r 1000 on go compare they found one for 375. So i may have to get the bike delivered to my house and wait three weeks before I can get tax..... Unless they will use my no honour my no claims early, the new company.

The biggest worry I had was when I entered in the reg of the bike on go compare..... Says the bike is an s2r 800.... The bike is advertised at metropolis as an s2r 1000 so I may need to double check the v5. Hopefully all is okay and it is just a database error.

Cheers for all your advice all.

Lee

Pomp1
08-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Call Ducati Insurance here (http://www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk/contact.htm), they're normally quite good on quotes and general stuff..to save 700 quid I'll wait 3 weeks..that's the price of the belts, shims and lots of goodies on top..

Zbornak
09-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Have you still got your M600? I'm looking to buy one within the next few months and as you can see, I'm around your area.

leeplant
09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
if you PM me your email address i can send you some close ups. Little bit of surface rust in places but nothing major. just could do with a little rub.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2464739.htm

but price can be negotiated.
Recent works are quoted in the listing.

Pomp1
09-02-2011, 08:52 AM
if you PM me your email address i can send you some close ups. Little bit of surface rust in places but nothing major. just could do with a little rub.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2464739.htm

but price can be negotiated.
Recent works are quoted in the listing.

May I suggest that you delete the details of your garage from your advert? thieves loves that sort of stuff..

leeplant
09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
May I suggest that you delete the details of your garage from your advert? thieves loves that sort of stuff..

Your probably right.... To steal the bike they first gotta move the VW golf that sits behind it in the garage.

But as a precaution i may remove my postcode.

Lee

Zbornak
09-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Ah yes I remember seeing that bike on Gumtree. PM sent.

leeplant
12-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Finally got my new baby today. First few pictures of it with different backgrounds..... :p

Need to get a few bits but the summer is long.

steeevvvooo
12-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice. Same colour as pegboys new steed! I like the black and white ones...

:edit: except he has white wheels and you have black. Doh! :banghead:

vtaggart
13-02-2011, 03:36 PM
The ones with black wheels are faster:mand:, lovely bike I must say I like the black frames

Vince

Pomp1
13-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Need to get a few bits but the summer is long.
Not long enough..BTW nice bike..

leeplant
28-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Sorry guys and gals...

Usual insurance question. I am having trouble insuring my S2R 1000? I have just bought. Would you believe a purchase date of 09 makes my insurance 350 that I put in error.... as I have just bought it seems it may be more like 750. Have tried the usual places, gocompare, money supermarket, confused and Ducati but it all seems to be about 750. Also these sites on the bike lookup think it’s a S2R 800 so I manually have to select the 1000.

Any pointers would be fantastic. I understand it’s an unusual one as there are a few 800's out there.

Cheers

Lee

J.P
28-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Annually I have to call between 15 and 20 brokers.
Have a look here for all the good ones. Often compare sites will only focus on mainline bikes.

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=38049&highlight=mce

leeplant
28-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Annually I have to call between 15 and 20 brokers.
Have a look here for all the good ones. Often compare sites will only focus on mainline bikes.

http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=38049&highlight=mce

nice one cheers.... Sorry the insurance question probably gets old.

J.P
28-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Never old, there's always something that makes it difficult every year.
The guys at Bike Team Insurance really helped me out when I was getting my first insurance on a Monster. Much more helpful than anyone else. A proper good broker they were, just couldn't insure my new Multistrada last year.

Mr.Number
28-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Lovely bike lee, looks a beast in black.

Hope your pleased, they are a great ride and the engine just pulls and pulls.

Wonder whether your gonna get sucked in to the world of mods !

leeplant
28-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Lovely bike lee, looks a beast in black.

Hope your pleased, they are a great ride and the engine just pulls and pulls.

Wonder whether your gonna get sucked in to the world of mods !

I was thinking of doing a few things but i just want it insured at the moment. All my mates are buying daytona 675's and etc.... i like my monsters thanks.

25 year ols male with nothing on his licence and tw years no claims and the best i can get is 640..... it'll have to do. the little m600 was so much cheaper but you would imagine so.