PDA

View Full Version : Best tools for ohlins shock preload

jezzamondo
30-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Can't bear the thought of bashing ohlins shock pre-load on my S4RS with a cold chisel, is this the right tool? Which size would be best? Do I need to get two to back the lock ring off? (Would either double up by any chance as a chain adjuster, coz I need one of those too...? so many questions.... :spin:)

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=568141

rollo22
30-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Harris performance do them from memory quick postage as well.
Give them a bell and all will be sorted.

jezzamondo
30-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Big thanks Rollo, will do

utopia
30-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Don't use a cold chisel. Its designed for cutting steel and will make mincemeat of your nice, gold-anodised alloy.
You could use the "recommended" C-spanner, but these are notorious for slipping.
If you buy a spanner at all, I'd recommend one of the self-adjusting types, as long as its a decent one and you have space to get at the shock with it. You'll need two though, to unlock the two lock rings.
So, forget all that and get yourself a nice, long alloy drift, ...say 10mm sq and 20 to 25cm long and use that instead of the chisel. It'll still damage the ring-nuts, but not nearly so badly. And your knuckle skin will remain intact. Or try something softer, like a wooden or plastic drift.
Get everything nice and clean and lightly lubricated before you start, and consider raising the rear to unload the shock, particularly if you're increasing preload.

ps. this assumes your lock-rings are the normal, castellated type with square notches. Some shocks have different lock-rings with holes around their circumference (like my Nitron). for these you need a couple of tommy-bars of the approprioate dia. ....a much better system imho.

jezzamondo
30-01-2011, 09:29 PM
So, forget all that and get yourself a nice, long alloy drift,

It is pretty tight in there... sounds like a good plan -

I was kinda hoping the larger of the dual sided C spanners at busters might do the chain adjuster eccentric as well, but I've no sense of the dimensions needed!

Guess an alloy drift would deal with that job too...

utopia
31-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Unlocking/locking is best with the drift.
C-spanner might be handy for large adjustments, but they need to fit perfectly or they're useless, hence the adjustable suggestion.
Mines self/spring adjusting, WW2, Rolls Royce....the only one I trust.
Maybe the alloy drift to unlock, then adjust with a softer one...plastic/hardwood...??
Hold the drift nice and square to spread the load....don't hit the corners.
2nd thoughts, 10mm sq is too big/wrong shape.. Mine's 6mm dia. Maybe 8mm dia would be better.
Cut a little one from an alloy tent peg...??

They dont need to be very tight...most of the load is across, rather than along the threads.

rollo22
31-01-2011, 12:44 PM
The Harris ones are single ended and are designed to fit an Ohlins shock.
Might be way out I think mine cost £10 + pp that's for a pair

jezzamondo
13-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks all, got a Harris one & a drift of sorts (couldn't find alloy locally)- discovered lower ring is plastic as spanner took a piece out of it with almost no effort (while fitting it). There seems no point to locking ring (alloy) above, as both turn happily together with little effort- very confused! I've set sag, but am left wondering if plastic ring is buggered and if the pair will ever move. Any thoughts?

Dookbob
14-02-2011, 08:36 AM
might be worth checking the plastic ring closely to see if it is cracked, if it is then it obviously will have lost its grip. Why on earth would anyone put a plastic lock ring on a suspension part, I cant imagine.