PDA

View Full Version : Hello! but not a great start

Terminal
28-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Hello,

I finally got round to joining up to this forum after getting my monster in December. So hello to you all!

However I join with frustration/depression though, as on Sunday night some pikey local kids tried to nick my bike! I thought it had gone for ever come Monday morning but luckily it was found close by.

It is currently unridable though as they broke the steering lock and ignition, and have cut cable to try and jump start it :'-( Luckily apart from dropping it on the right hand side and snapping the front brake level; she looks intact.

Still I have been desperately trying to work out a way to get her back on the road.

Ducati parts are expensive, I think it is £150 for a new ignition lock but then I have to have 2 keys (fuel cap and seat) - not the end of the world but annoying.

I am also worried that they might have damaged the ECU by trying to jump her, or broken the imobiliser :on:

Has anyone got any advise on what to do? I know a good mechanic down in Bristol who might have a 2nd hand lock but I am based in Reading so would need to hire something to transport Des (er Desdemona the Ducati :) ).

Or maybe I could try something like this: http://www.motogadget.com/en/m_lock.html and make this an upgrade but I don't think it works with an imobilser; anyone have one.

Anyway I appreciate any thoughts?

Cheers,

-Nils

Capo
28-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the club.

Your key is chipped to the imobiliser so it would need to be cloned to the new key.
Buy a chain and padlock, they will be back

Jungle24
28-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Sorry to hear that mate but glad you got it back!

J.P
28-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the club but sorry to hear you've had such bad luck already.

You're right Ducati parts are expensive but at least you'll know you've got all the right gear specific for your bike. Replacement Levers can be bought off ebay but the rest of the stuff, especially the locks & ignition key/chip I think you might have to bite the bullit.
What about insurance, not worth it ?

Terminal
28-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah I am very glad to get it back; moved it inside garden now and will be chaining it up!

crust
28-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi from another Monster owner in Reading, gutted for you

ALMAX - you need one, use no other chain.

Have a look at:

http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-motorbike-forum/62087-eck-thats-big-chain-almax.html

He11cat
28-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I am probably giving bad advise .. but have to say I never use steering locks now.
Having had 2 bikes stolen both had more damage was done due to them breaking the steering locks and I was advised years back to lock them and secure them but not the steering lock.

If they want it they will try again .. so make it a pain in the arse to pinch.. out of site is more out of mind .
I often use a disclock alarm and put the reminder thing on the bars so its visible as again may make them walk on.
A good lock and chain , use ground anchors which are easy to install.
Cover it up.
Bikes are usually dumped near by..
if it was kids they'd have killed themselves on an S4 if they got it going.

Most now get broken for spares ..and just vanish.
Sounds like kids if it was dumped..both of mine where dumped and both time teenagers.

A few simple things will put the pikey kids off a little bit more .
If its professional thieves wanting something they usually will be tooled up to deal with stuff quickly and get the bike away.

steeevvvooo
28-01-2011, 08:04 PM
ALMAX - you need one, use no other chain.

+1

Welcome, and sorry to hear of your bad luck. :thumbsdown:

Nickj
28-01-2011, 09:48 PM
If you kept the sensor ariel fixed the insert from the standard key near it then that would sort that part. You could then easily add one of the m-keys.
Locks and chains only deter the casual, the serious thief is going to have the bike no matter where it is

Hope it's all sorted out soon

LouSCannon
29-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Welcome and sincerely hope things get better for you! Fingers crossed they won't come back :/

Terminal
29-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the sympathies. I ordered the m-lock ignition as it is worth a shot.

I have a wiring diagram from service manual but can't work out where the immobiliser lead went as the pikeys pulled it out. Anyone know?

Thanks.

P.s. Where abouts in Reading Crust?; thanks for chain info I will check it out.