PDA

View Full Version : Bench Polishers and Degreasant

sbhumphrey
25-01-2011, 02:18 PM
More questions from the newbie. Thinking of getting a bench polisher/grinder for working on my casings, exhausts etc anyone have any experience of using them and is there much difference between the 8" ones over the 6" (besides the obvious)? Also can anyone recommend a good degreasant?

Capo
25-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I have one, I use 8" wheels to obtain a relativly high surface speed. You will need three types of mop, Stiched sisal, stiched cotton and unstiched calico, each with its own grade of compound. There are a couple of good shops that can supply what you need and provide advice on the process.

As for degreaser, I use Gunk (not the same as it was) which is an emulsifier and washes off with water, followed (where required) with a trike type solvent that dries clean.

sbhumphrey
25-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Trike type solvent?

Kato
25-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Trike type solvent?

Trichloroethylene

Pretty much frowned upon even if you could still easily get it, there however decent alternatives available that won't kill you in the process of usage.

cairojay
25-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Paraffin!!! Best degreaser around then simply wash off with a safe salt free detergent...

dunlop0_1
25-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Get the most powerful one you can afford. I had one of the cheaper ones and it just lacked the power to acheive a decent finish.

I use panel clean as a degreaser. Its the stuff car bodyshops you use prior to painting.

Nickj
25-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Trike type solvent?

It's a solvent and was used as an anaesthetic as a while but it is a bit nasty as it can cause a bit of liver dysfunction Oh and it's carcinogenic

Otherwise a really good degreaser.

gary tompkins
25-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Trike type solvent?

Can't see me using that stuff on mine :on:

Stafford
26-01-2011, 07:21 AM
It's a solvent and was used as an anaesthetic as a while but it is a bit nasty as it can cause a bit of liver dysfunction Oh and it's carcinogenic

Otherwise a really good degreaser.

We used to use it at Avon Rubber on the tank wheels prior to painting, if I was "lucky" I got to clean out the trike tanks wearing BA on a Saturday morning, oh the joy. :shocked:

sbhumphrey
26-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Glad to hear such a safe and measured approach is being suggested lol, I was considering asking how to ensure I have all the petrol out of my tank before I send it for spraying but I think I know the likely answer and it will probably involve matches..... On a serious note I guess my best bet is to either use gunk or something a little more powerful, if anyone has a name and potential retailer?

utopia
26-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I used to use Gunk in the old days, but I didn't get on with the new stuff. And having to wash it off with water is not always convenient.
Paraffin is good and cheap. Its often my first choice.

As for polishing, check out 'The Polishing Shop' at Cannock. They'll sell you an arbour that fits to a std bench grinder (or spare electric motor of your choice) for less than a tenner. It attaches with just one grubscrew and has the taper thread attatchment to take a polishing mop. They also sell a range of mops and polishes etc. If you're not in a hurry, they often have a stand at the major bike shows.
And if in doubt, go for the 8 inch, for the higher surface speed.

rollo22
26-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Machine Mart do an 8" grinder for about £60 then just buy the polishing mops.