PDA

View Full Version : Sensible Mods during rebuild

sbhumphrey
24-01-2011, 11:02 AM
My new m900 is a little bit tired and as I am planning a complete respray, powder coating etc which seems to involve stripping down most of the bike can anyone suggest any usual mods that I should do whilst I have her bare so to speak. As an example I heard some owners change to an upgraded adjustable shock if they plan to take pillions regularly etc. Are there any parts that are likely to need replacing/upgrading now rather than refit the originals?

scrapps
24-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Depends What/how your going to use the bike. I changed the heard stock and wheel bearing when rebiulding/tarting mine up plus fitted clip-ons as doing some trackdays a better shock is always handy if your rebiuld budget will allow.

Stuart42
24-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Steve and welcome from a fellow Hampster.

Personally I think you should modify a bike either for looks or performance.

If you're just looking for upgrades whilst apart, braided lines are always worth doing and checking all bearings as Scrapps suggested.

Check Nattyboys thread on cheap brake lines if you want to go down that route.

Hope to see you around

Cheers
Stuart

Dukedesmo
24-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Beware, my M900 re-build started out with a few 'sensible' mods theme but then I started thinking along the lines of,' whilst I'm at it I might as well upgrade this or change that' and it soon leads to getting a little carried away... :eek:

You know it makes sense... ;)

mintyhit
24-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I reckon one of the best things you can do for looks is to powdercoat as many of the original bits as you can… it is so cheap when done in bulk.

Pomp1
24-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Sensible mods would include refurbishing both shock(with an upgrade, if finances allows it, as this is, after all, 15 years old bike) and front forks, because chances are that they've been done a long time ago. Stripping and rebuild the carbs, in particular the jet needles tend to become oval (they're about 12 quid each, should be changed every 10K miles) and various bearings. If you're powdercoating the frame don't forget the frame numbers might become unreadable(mine were OK) and threads and hearth points for the battery.
Have fun (and patience ;))
Braided lines as other have suggested are well worth doing.

sbhumphrey
24-01-2011, 02:15 PM
General riding is the plan, also two up and some rides out with the lads so a little misbehaviour maybe. Not planning to track her and will try and keep off the roads when the salt is about but can't promise. Just trying to avoid rebuilding her and someone saying you know you should have replaced that whilst you had her stripped down....

sbhumphrey
24-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I realise I could end up with one idea leading to another but I think a shock upgrade and maybe carb jets make sense, would these remain statndard? It's had a major service with fork seals and belts just before I bought it. Only fear is I strip her down pop all the bits in for powder coating etc and then the rebuild takes me all summer and I miss out on the fun...

Diego
24-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Sensible mods would include refurbishing both shock(with an upgrade, if finances allows it, as this is, after all, 15 years old bike) and front forks, because chances are that they've been done a long time ago. Stripping and rebuild the carbs, in particular the jet needles tend to become oval (they're about 12 quid each, should be changed every 10K miles) and various bearings.

All the above....also look into getting the rear jack up suspension kit from rich at louigimoto 0777 5557797 or 01761 453366.....it will make the bike handle like a dream.

Proper suspension makes all the difference on a M900 :thumbsup:

utopia
25-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Sounds like your forks are ok. I'd definitely change the steering-head bearings while you have it stripped for powdercoating.
At the other end, your shock is now quite old. You mention some two-up riding...The best suspension mod would be to replace the shock with one that has remote hydraulic preload adjustment. Its such a pain to reset the preload for pillion use on the std shock that you'll probably not bother half the time, with the result that you'll look like peter fonda and wince at every pothole for fear of bottoming the suspension. I fitted a Nitron shock last year, and its now a breeze. At the same time you could choose (at no extra cost) a spring to match your weight and intended useage. Hps were doing a cut-price winter deal, but not sure if its still on. They'll propbably repeat it next year though....they did it last year too. Also, the Nitron unit comes with rear ride-height adjustment, so you wouldn't need the jack-up kit, and you can raise or lower at whim. Quality is excellent too. They were the shock used on the Triumph Triple racing series a while ago. Have I convinced you yet ? If not, its not too difficult to change the shock when the bike's back together, so just wait for next year's christmas offer. Oh, and you don't have to have the turquoise spring...they do black too.
Other than that, I'd just touch up any flakey engine paint (smoothrite) and get it back together for the summer. Access is pretty good on the air-cooled 2-valve monsters anyway.
It may be worth giving the charging system a check-over, and the reg/rec unit is now quite old if its still on its original one. It may be fine, but they have a hard life, particularly if connections have corroded a little and aren't 100%.
Happy trails.

sbhumphrey
25-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your tips, I guess I really ought to bite the bullet and give this strip down a go. I guess if I follow the Haynes Manual, some of the stripping down information already on the forum and take copius amounts of pictures I should be okay......

scrapps
25-01-2011, 08:48 AM
As you see can I did mine two years ago(see avatar) its quite simple to pull apart and rebiuld. I did not have a manual but took loads of pics and also used tie on labels to help rebiulding. ie front sensor cable,right side of frame,over 1st brace under second.
The powder coating was done in 1 week and the hole strip and rebiuld took 2 months.(weekends and 1-2 evenings a week)
It helps if your a bit o.c.d and put all bits in bags with a label in boxes :thumbsup:

Stuart42
25-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Steve

as you've probably read, modding is addictive.

Mine started off as a simple strip and tart up, similar to yours.

Sadly it ended up with me fitting a 916 swing arm, having the frame modded to suit and a custom exhaust being made.

And it hasn't stopped there, more on the way.

As you are local to me just stay away from Maf at Expressive Motorcycles near Stonehenge, can supply number if need a modding fix, he is a dealer in all things modified.

Hope yours goes well and if you need any help with contacts for coating, plating etc then let me know as have found a few locally to us.

Cheers
Stuart

Kato
25-01-2011, 10:12 AM
There is no such thing as a sensible mod, it always leads to more and then more and more, more, more, book some therapy now your gonna need it.

sbhumphrey
25-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks Stuart. On one of the posts on the forum I saw Trestan Finishers in Southampton muted as a good place for powder coating. Gave them a ring and they have quoted some decent prices, £35 per wheel and £70 for the frame and swing arm, and they'll do the prep and masking off. Always wanted a Monster so I plan to keep her for a long while and get her up to A1, problem is do I jump in immediately or hold back until after the summer?????

scrapps
25-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Go for it now or you will be sad when you meet up with all the other shiney modded Monsters. Its only jan you have ages till the summer months :thumbsup:

uksurfer
25-01-2011, 11:35 AM
personally speaking, what ever you do, do not miss the summer!

gary tompkins
25-01-2011, 12:36 PM
personally speaking, what ever you do, do not miss the summer!

That was the reason I decided to undertake the trike build over winter

It took 5 months work from October 2005 to late March 2006, and at times I really struggled in my un-heated garage while enduring sub zero conditions. The coldest it dipped to was about minus 4 in February, which was pure hell on earth. It restricted work time to 1 hour sessions at best, before needing to head back indoors to thaw out. Welding in those conditions was a non-starter. The metal tubing in the chassis got so cold, it sucked the heat away from the MIG welder, and resulted in poor quality joints. That month was definately my personal 'low point' of the build.

Eventually all the hard work, back ache and frozen fingers paid off, and the trike was finished by the 1st week in April 2006.

Just in time for the start of the UKMOC spring season :D

scrapps
25-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Thats why I took the bike indoors to biuld it ;) The weather can cause problems and slow the job.

Hope you have a warm garage or patio doors so you can biuld in comfort

sbhumphrey
25-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Spoke to a mechanic at Motorapido today regarding jets for my carbs and he asked were my cans standard. On inspection they are BOS (Carbon Fibre), anyone know anything about these and what is the likelyhood that the jets would have been changed?

sbhumphrey
18-03-2011, 02:20 PM
My starter motor is dead and now due to some broken and seized bolts my strip down and build has been brought forward.... to now. I was planning to get a new shed anyway so now the plan is to get the shed and dedicate it to the strip and rebuild. Does anyone know about replacement starter motors I did hear that a Suzuki GS 500 one would fit??????

Capo
18-03-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/sm9162-starter-motor-12973-0.html

sbhumphrey
19-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks Capo. Excuse my ignorance but can you get bike starter motors reconditioned like car ones or is it just not worth it?